• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So on my drive home from work yesterday…

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirBrian

I’m driving home from work and about halfway home I hit some traffic. No big deal, must be a wreck. A couple of minutes later, I come to a complete standstill. (My daily commute is about 15 miles but it’s against the flow of traffic both ways, so I never hit any traffic unless there is a really bad wreck.) I think to myself that something big must be going on, and I take the next exit and got home in about twice as long as it normally takes.

So I turn on the TV and the local news has a breaking story. About 8 miles farther south from where I live, two major highways intersect. As it turns out, a man and a woman are driving and are having an argument. I guess it gets so bad that the man pulls onto the shoulder of the highway (which happens to be the overpass about 10 stories high). They get out of the car still arguing, then he pushes her over the side and she lands on a car going south on the other highway. She was still alive, but when the car she was on stopped, she flew off and was struck and killed by another car. The man, watching this whole thing, then jumped over and killed himself.

When you think about, the whole thing is messed up.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/Southwest/06/10/overpass.deaths.ap/index.html

AirBrian

Tritroid said:
wow. Imagine the poor person driving the car the lady fell on top of. @_@
That would be horrible. I know my first instinct would be to slam the brakes on, but that would inevitably throw the person off and no doubt kill them.

Man, that's horrible. :(
And what that guy (the driver of the car that killed the lady) must live with for the rest of his life... Geez... *sigh*

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Damn idiots (the couples)

Wonder what they were arguing about that led them to do what they did

AirBrian

Wario64 said:
Damn idiots (the couples)

Wonder what they were arguing about that led them to do what they did
Yeah, at what point does an argument escalate to this?

BTW, the local news reported that the man was 30 and the woman was 21.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
"No, YOU'RE wrong!" (pushes woman off 10-story high overpass)

What the hell could he have possibly been thinking? Judging by the fact that he was so shocked at what he did and killed himself it must've been one of those really retarted "did it without thinking" moments. Horrible nonetheless...

Ah, now that I've read the below I'm convinced the guy was just crazy.

AirBrian

More details:

RICHARDSON, Texas - A woman who was pulled from a car during a roadside argument and thrown to her death from an 85-foot overpass was "fighting like hell" to save herself, a witness said. Her assailant also died.

The 21-year-old woman fell onto the hood of a car on the freeway below, then was dragged several yards Thursday before being hit by another vehicle, said Richardson police Sgt. Kevin Perlich. She died at the scene.

The man, who jumped from the overpass after throwing the woman off, died later at a hospital.

He was identified Friday as 30-year-old Paul Stephens, the county medical examiner's office said. Police had not revealed the woman's identity, pending notification of relatives, but said the two shared a Dallas apartment with a third person. The investigation was continuing.

Perlich said witnesses reported seeing the couple arguing inside a parked Mercedes on the President George Bush Turnpike where it passes over U.S. 75, also known as Central Expressway, just north of Dallas.

A witness, Henry Ford, said he and his wife first thought the two were "goofing around" but quickly realized they were wrong.

"I saw him trying to throw her over, and she was doing her best to stop him. She was fighting like hell," Ford told The Dallas Morning News.

Ford stopped and was getting out of his car when the man pushed the woman over the short wall.

Ford's wife, Frances, said the man watched the woman fall. "Then he jumped. ... I saw him hit the pavement," she said.

Police blocked off the highways, backing up traffic for almost two hours.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040611/ap_on_re_us/overpass_deaths_3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom