• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So PC mouse/keyboard players are playing against console players on COD Warzone. How has that been playing out?

M_A_C

Have you guys not watched any of the streams for Warzone? A lot of the top players/streamers use controller on PC.

Since KB/M has been a standard for the last 2 CoD games on console, the cheating is much more of an issue on PC than input method.

Tg89

console players getting owned probably. the difference between controller + kb/m is crazy. they really shouldn't be in the same servers.

lol whatever... yeah there are cheaters but the skill of players on pc with kb/m can be mistaken for cheating. see above...when you have a kb/m you play a lot better. there is much more precision and of course PC players are likely playing on 144-240Hz displays. you're gonna be dead before you even see them.
Definitely shouldn't be cross platform.

But PC Players "likely playing on 144-240hz displays" is laughable. Average PC gamer is playing on a potato, based on Steam hardware surveys.

Perhaps the only benefit to paying for either XBL or PSN, was the relatively safe and cheater free environment it provided. Those people are still paying that fee, yet they're no longer able to fully enjoy that cheater free environment.
If I'm not mistaken Warzone is F2P? Cause if so then at least on PlayStation there's no need for PS Plus to play it online.

Just disable crossplay... it is useless and unfair.
Pretty sure Warzone / MW and Cold War both support mouse and keyboard on all platforms. Nothing unfair about it. At this point if you're choosing to use a controller you're making a willful and deliberate choice to put yourself at a disadvantage, and crossplay has fuck all to do with it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
There is cheating on both PC and console. Strikepack and other console cheating devices ruined console multiplayer for me because Sony doesn't view them as cheats. At least on PC devs try to stop cheats (usually). Cheating isn't as rampant as others make it seem. PC players are just that good (in most cases). The obvious cheats are when someone goes like 150 and 0 in a match or people are doing impossible things (flying around, tracking through walls).

A lot of the times you die, and think its cheating, it is actually dsync. As a PC player I love going against console peeps though, easy kills.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken Warzone is F2P? Cause if so then at least on PlayStation there's no need for PS Plus to play it online.
Valid point but if you're on Playstation you're essentially in their walled garden ecosystem either way essentially. Even if you didn't expect to be, I can't imagine there's a significant amount of PS users who regularly play Warzone that aren't PSPlus members.

The people that do pay for PSPlus aren't separated from those who don't in Warzone anyway.

Valid point but if you're on Playstation you're essentially in their walled garden ecosystem either way essentially. Even if you didn't expect to be, I can't imagine there's a significant amount of PS users who regularly play Warzone that aren't PSPlus members.

The people that do pay for PSPlus aren't separated from those who don't in Warzone anyway.
Yea, I just think at some point the players implicitly understand that they aren't paying the subscription to avoid cheaters in Warzone.

How they rationalise their PS Plus sub will be up to them, but avoiding cheaters in F2P isn't part of it. And I imagine they could always bitch at Activision and not buy MTX if they really dislike the crossplay.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Cross play has developed well through Call of Duty, I’d never turn the controller over to mouse and keyboard something PC gamers cherish. But PC gamers have been friendly in the console servers cross play.

It's more like PC mouse/keyboard players against console auto-aim gamepad players so things are kind of even.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I think for me it's more than just quick aim on controller you lose. Auto aim is fine but it just slows down on the target centre mass. You're wasting time getting in the wrong place to begin with. It's like an overhead. Things like leading targets (from the hip, ADS) and dragback aiming are just not possible on console (unless fully manual and then what's the point....). And I wasn't an elite CS player back in the day but pretty decent.

However, if we take BF V as an example. This didn't include auto rotation (and had horrible maps), and unless set to 0 gave you a weird treacle slowdown when panning targets. I think BF V gets a bad rap because of this when BF One was well received (apart from after the aim assist balance patch). It created a meta on weapon efficiency and deadly distance as well. If aim rotation kicked in you knew you were in the optimal range curve for your equipped weapon.

For CQC and hip fire, it's probably not a huge issue. But mid to long distance starts to exponentially increase its deficiencies (imo). And then using scoped weapons is probably balanced again.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I mainly play pc and always had. I haven't met a cheater in... Ten years or so?
Maybe I have, but didn't notice, and I play games like dota, Cs go, fortnite.

As a PC player with a great aim, I actually find playing fortnite on console like cheating. It's way easier to win a close combat fight during to the aimbot with a controller. No skills at all.

Even ranged kills are easier because you have to aim at your enemy and boom your crosshair sticks to the target.

Just like a aimbot. A PC aimbot is of course more extreme, but controller can only compete with mouse and kb because of heavy aim assist. 50 percent of the time the aim assist is your skill.

Last edited:

Dogman

There's so much BS in this thread lmao.

I play warzone on my PC every night with 2 of my friends who are on PC and PS4. They perform perfectly fine according to their skill level (my PC friend sucks at games in general so he doesnt do too well, while my PS4 friend can hold his own as he is pretty good at COD). I'm the best player out of them all in general and so I perform best, but the PS4 friend is not at a disadvantage.

The cheating argument is also blown way out of proportion. We've seen maybe 2 cheaters in our entire time playing warzone and we've played hours almost daily since last september. It is not a big deal. In terms of Pros and Cons, M+K is obviously better for flicks and pinpoint accuracy, but for tracking a player while shooting (which is most combat situations in warzone), a controller is vastly better as the aim assist makes it nearly effortless to stay on target and control recoil.

I'd pick a M+K anyday as I just feel sluggish on controller, but I've played Warzone on PS4 occasionally and tracking enemies is much more consistent. Just a matter of preference tbh

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don't play CoD, but on Siege PS4/PS5 the amount of players using KB+M is insane. I'd say Plat and higher is 90% KB+M users. I gave up playing ranked last year because of this and it has only gotten worse. If I didn't have friends to play with I would have dropped the game awhile ago really.

I need Battlefield 6 to be good.

splattered

I'm all for cross-play between all the consoles where technically possible but why even bring PC players into the mix? The cheating just makes it not even worth it. Yes there are some controller mods and cheaters on console and can be very frustrating but nowhere near as bad as what PC players do.

Last edited:

Self

Auto aim is fine but it just slows down on the target centre mass.

Yes. That's why auto aim is bullshit, apart from playing hardcore (one shot kill). I've seen console players screwing the best pc players and vice versa. In the end it's skill and familiarity with the terrain that counts.

COD is the last shooter you should worry when it comes m&k vs gamepad as the hitboxes are twice the size of normal shooters and the integrated aimbot is very effective out tracking for you when using a pad. It's the most uncompetite casual shooter out there.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I mainly play pc and always had. I haven't met a cheater in... Ten years or so?
Maybe I have, but didn't notice, and I play games like dota, Cs go, fortnite.

As a PC player with a great aim, I actually find playing fortnite on console like cheating. It's way easier to win a close combat fight during to the aimbot with a controller. No skills at all.

Even ranged kills are easier because you have to aim at your enemy and boom your crosshair sticks to the target.

Just like a aimbot. A PC aimbot is of course more extreme, but controller can only compete with mouse and kb because of heavy aim assist. 50 percent of the time the aim assist is your skill.
I don´t think that there is no skill using aim assist (soft lock and/or bullet magnetism), but I still don´t see any point in playing with it on. "Wow, I hit my target with aim assist helping me. Wow I was good at aiming with help". Like, wtf??? Really???

Tygeezy

Gyroscope will allow console players to compete with mouse and keyboard players but unfortunately the industry wants to stick to dual analogue only.

carlosrox

Banned
Depending on the situation a controller can actually be advantageous since the aim assist in WZ can be downright aggressive.

I've been on the receiving end of some blatant aim assist shenanigans and it sucks ass.

There's so much BS in this thread lmao.

I play warzone on my PC every night with 2 of my friends who are on PC and PS4. They perform perfectly fine according to their skill level (my PC friend sucks at games in general so he doesnt do too well, while my PS4 friend can hold his own as he is pretty good at COD). I'm the best player out of them all in general and so I perform best, but the PS4 friend is not at a disadvantage.

The cheating argument is also blown way out of proportion. We've seen maybe 2 cheaters in our entire time playing warzone and we've played hours almost daily since last september. It is not a big deal. In terms of Pros and Cons, M+K is obviously better for flicks and pinpoint accuracy, but for tracking a player while shooting (which is most combat situations in warzone), a controller is vastly better as the aim assist makes it nearly effortless to stay on target and control recoil.

I'd pick a M+K anyday as I just feel sluggish on controller, but I've played Warzone on PS4 occasionally and tracking enemies is much more consistent. Just a matter of preference tbh
I agree that there's not much difference between m/kb, vs controller. I've seen both do equally well from my experience. I'm sure the top 5% are probably m/kb for the most part though.

As far as Warzone goes, the cheating problem most definitely isn't blown out of proportion by any stretch. Typically, the cheating gets worse and worse and worse, etc... Then eventually Activision will ban a bunch of players, and the process repeats. During those few weeks leading up to a ban wave, it's difficult not to notice the cheaters if you opt to spectate remaining players after your team is done. There scrubs will constantly be ADSing into walls, rocks, or trees, etc... You can literally watch them track a guy over a ledge. Soon as the poor player clears it, "Bam" headshot. They'll then repeat this until the endgame. It's so rampant, that it's not even all that rare to spectate two cheaters being the last ones remaining. Each trying to out cheat the other for the win.

There's a lot of youtubers who I occasionally watch, but wouldn't put stock into any claims they made. I've watched Jackfrags for long enough to know that he's pretty trustworthy as far as youtubers go. At least IMO. He usually posts a game or two of his a day, and he comes across it quite often.

Riky

$MSFT
I think the framerate has more advantages, you know Playstation owners are playing at 60fps tops and a lot of PC and Xbox owners are double that.

I don´t think that there is no skill using aim assist (soft lock and/or bullet magnetism), but I still don´t see any point in playing with it on. "Wow, I hit my target with aim assist helping me. Wow I was good at aiming with help". Like, wtf??? Really???
I mean Doom has such aggressive auto aim that it automatically shoots your gun at different heights because the game doesn't support vlook and it is still the best FPS ever so idk

Then again Doom is actually unplayable trash anyway because it is hard coded 35hz, but that is another story.

But to actually answer your point, I would somewhat agree for regular multi, but Warzone is a very different game. The entire point of Warzone isn't twitchy shooting down tight corridors, it is way more focused on teamwork and positioning and strategy and a bunch of other things. Obviously insane shooting skills is a huge help since ultimately you need to shoot people, but the best player in the world can die very easily to the worst player depending on the circumstances. I play with a bunch of guys where only one of us would be considered really good and we still win fairly regularly because an ounce of coordination goes a long way.

Ultimately it depends on what you want out of a game and why you are playing it. Doom is the best FPS ever because the shooting part is actually kind of low on the importance list. The Quake 2 railgun ruined FPS because it is literally only about shooting accuracy, and for some reason it influenced the entire genre since. Do you consider enemy lock on to be auto aim when playing a Souls game? Of course not, because you don't play the game to get satisfaction in manually targeting the enemies, you play it for a million other reasons. FPS can be the same way, the problem is the vast majority are designed around aiming precision and little else.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I mean Doom has such aggressive auto aim that it automatically shoots your gun at different heights because the game doesn't support vlook and it is still the best FPS ever so idk

Then again Doom is actually unplayable trash anyway because it is hard coded 35hz, but that is another story.

But to actually answer your point, I would somewhat agree for regular multi, but Warzone is a very different game. The entire point of Warzone isn't twitchy shooting down tight corridors, it is way more focused on teamwork and positioning and strategy and a bunch of other things. Obviously insane shooting skills is a huge help since ultimately you need to shoot people, but the best player in the world can die very easily to the worst player depending on the circumstances. I play with a bunch of guys where only one of us would be considered really good and we still win fairly regularly because an ounce of coordination goes a long way.

Ultimately it depends on what you want out of a game and why you are playing it. Doom is the best FPS ever because the shooting part is actually kind of low on the importance list. The Quake 2 railgun ruined FPS because it is literally only about shooting accuracy, and for some reason it influenced the entire genre since. Do you consider enemy lock on to be auto aim when playing a Souls game? Of course not, because you don't play the game to get satisfaction in manually targeting the enemies, you play it for a million other reasons. FPS can be the same way, the problem is the vast majority are designed around aiming precision and little else.
I don´t play Doom anymore without ZDoom + unlocked framerate + free aim + bullet magnestism off. Why Doom after Doom 3 does not use horizontal look only with assist if it is so "timeless" or "best ever"?

One point of Warzone should be also about twitchy shooting. At least still is playing with m+kb.

Quake railgun did not ruin anything. Just see "Pro" Quake 3/Live players playing. It's far from being railgun only.

And if assist on shooters is 100% "meh", using lock on on Souls games is like 80~90% meh.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
The aim-assist of console is a good enough balance against most kb/mouse players. However, PC will always have the advantage due to allowing up to 120 - 240fps. In a game where every second counts having that extra speed helps a lot and can give an edge. Good kb/mouse players also have an increased sensitivity that console players don't have. That super quick turn speed and the higher fps gives a advantage.

If playing competitively it should be all one or the other but public games for fun it does not really matter that much. If your good you will "usually" get matched with other players on the same level (unless there are not enough people playing the game). As others have said good teamwork in Warzone can overcome the best players.

I swear warzone was much more fun before it went f2p.

Now it's just too hard for my skill / liking, A lot of work just to get blasted at the first hurdle. Or beamed from across the map.

Playing on PC, btw. I will say multiplayer is good with the cross-play. They segregate on controller type and the servers are full. And I have fun and get a fair amount of kills, usually above 1.0, but not much, which is the fun zone.

The cross play is healthy for the PC versions. Blops 4 was dead almost from the get go.

I think the new black ops does not have aim assist for console players......or it’s disabled for some modes

at least it didn’t when I was playing it a few months ago...I never went back due to the hacking

manfestival

Console players have god tier aim assist. You just have to learn to use it proper. I do consider myself good at CODMW/WZ but yeah all the top people are on Console(mostly Playstation cause of Sony having control of the pro scene).

Because the aim assist in CoD is literally aim botting. You don’t see PC players using controller in other games
Wouldnt say aim botting since you see a very small percentage of controller players capable of actually pulling that off. You must not play other games than, at least not Apex. Game might be even better than Warzone with a controller. Can get Diamond easy with a controller on pc and im rusty af.

Last edited:
Wouldnt say aim botting since you see a very small percentage of controller players capable of actually pulling that off. You must not play other games than, at least not Apex. Game might be even better than Warzone with a controller. Can get Diamond easy with a controller on pc and im rusty af.
It's obvious that many people here have never seen aim botting, and their last experience with aim assist was well over a decade ago. At least in relation to COD.

While ADSing, and moving your sight from either R to L or vice versa. It slowing the movement speed down by 30% around a players hitbox is not even comparable to aimbot.

I agree. Apex seems better with a controller, and seems easier to get wins. I personally just prefer the Warzone layout and style better.

It's obvious that many people here have never seen aim botting, and their last experience with aim assist was well over a decade ago. At least in relation to COD.

While ADSing, and moving your sight from either R to L or vice versa. It slowing the movement speed down by 30% around a players hitbox is not even comparable to aimbot.

I agree. Apex seems better with a controller, and seems easier to get wins. I personally just prefer the Warzone layout and style better.
Yea the people who always say its aim botting can never actually pick up a controller and replicate the "aim botting" lol.

DaveK11

Neo Member
If anything, it's exposed some truths that were downplayed previously. At least that I've seen.

Back before crossplay was available on games such as this, one of the knocks on pc gaming was having to deal with cheaters. PC players always downplayed this, claiming that cheating on pc was actually a very rare occurrence.

The results have determined that, that was a lie. Now with crossplay fully fledged auto clicker enabled, it's easily observable that in fact... Cheating on pc is widespread and common. There's literally been times when the ratio of games with cheaters was roughly about 1 out of every 3 games played.

The other main claim was that the average m/kb player would destroy the average controller player. Aim assist or not.

As Maury would say once again... The results have determined that, that was a lie. The cream of the crop is dominated by m/kb players, but that consists of auto clicker pc perhaps the top 5% of players. The rest are a mix of both. While crossplay is enabled, the games does attempt to pool m/kb players with others using the same input methods, and likewise with controller users. There are top auto clicker instances though where the last few spots to fill up a lobby may have players using a different input. M/kb players not being able to wholesale dominate those on controller has had some interesting results that most wouldn't have predicted though. Chief among them being some m/kb players crying foul regarding skill based matchmaking at a far higher rate. This is especially prevalent with M/kb youtubers believing that they'd easily get good content, as they'd often be facing helpless players on a controller. Once they found themselves not having the massive advantage free mouse clicker they thought they would.... They began blaming skill based matchmaking for their lack of easy wins. The devs have tweaked the matchmaking formula a bit, but despite what they claim. It's clear that the majority of people who regularly complain about SBMM are m/kb users attempting to find easier lobbies. It's no coincidence that their number 2 complaint is that controller players have too much aim assist. Making it unfair for m/kb users.

While I wouldn't call it an outright failure, crossplay in COD is sort of a loss for both auto clicker android platforms. Mostly due to blatant cheating that goes unchecked by Activision. Consoles lose because they're mac auto clicker now placed with those outside their walled garden. Perhaps the only benefit to paying for either XBL or PSN, was the relatively safe and cheater free environment it provided. Those people are still paying that fee, yet they're no longer able to fully enjoy that cheater free environment.

PC loses because crossplay really could've provided the perfect opportunity to demonstrate some of the benefits of playing on pc. Console users being able to mingle with pc players likely could've resulted in many console users switching over to pc. The widespread popularity of Warzone at just the right time when a new console generation starts with almost no new consoles available should've created a perfect storm of sorts. While there could've been a world where there was a surge of gamers moving from console to pc... Cheaters prevented any chance of that being the case anytime soon. Unless their objective is to cheat. Console players are likely to want nothing to do with crossplay with pc players in games such as this. For millions of console users playing Warzone. Any credibility pc hoped to have as a viable platform is gone. It's unfortunate, but hopefully op auto clicker pushes the importance of anticheat software even further to the forefront.
The real issue with the game is PC cheaters - Yes

Top Bottom