• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs you know that are excellent but you just hate the singer?

Im at the other end of the political spectrum when it comes to the very political Midnight Oil, but they have many great songs (Beds are Burning, Blue sky Mine, The Dead Heart, Read About It, The Power and the Passion, Short Memory, US Forces etc).

Ballthyrm

I'll go even further, Dylan might be the only singer songwriter whose own interpretations are worse than those played by any rando over a woodfire

It is really strange, It feels to me that Dylan isn't singing what his own songs are saying.
There is some veil where to me Dylan only sing the words on the page instead of the song if that makes sense.

ShinFuYux

Shakira sounds like a bleating goat even moreso when she sings in English and none of her songs are excellent. I said what I said
I personally like a few of her songs.

From what i can remember, in Colombia, she started out in a rock band, her old stuff was very similar to No Doubt. So when she made that jump from rock to pop, it was clear that she just wasn't made for that.

When she started singing in English, you can tell she was learning the language as she sang it.

The woman is clearly following with whatever her producers or whomever is guiding her to sell records.

But throughout her music career, she has made some good songs. But the Spanish version always sounds better than the English version.

ShinFuYux

Bad Bunny is the popular music artist that has the unfortunate opportunity to be in a lot of good songs.

His voice, his rapping style, the way he seems to slur his words... Everything about that man indicates that he shouldn't be a popular artist... Yet, here we are.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I personally like a few of her songs.

From what i can remember, in Colombia, she started out in a rock band, her old stuff was very similar to No Doubt. So when she made that jump from rock to pop, it was clear that she just wasn't made for that.

When she started singing in English, you can tell she was learning the language as she sang it.

The woman is clearly following with whatever her producers or whomever is guiding her to sell records.

But throughout her music career, she has made some good songs. But the Spanish version always sounds better than the English version.
Ive been familiar with her music since her very first Spanish album she was more pop/rock and had black hair then she became what she is now chasing global fame not knocking her for the change she sounded like a goat back then too.

Toots

Gold Member
It is really strange, It feels to me that Dylan isn't singing what his own songs are saying.
There is some veil where to me Dylan only sing the words on the page instead of the song if that makes sense.
I think i get your point.
Almost as if he sang poetry but was not a poet.
I think he wanted so much to be a poet and worked so hard for it that he definitely was, but at the same time "true" poets don't have to work to be what they are. It is their essence. I'm not sure i'm making much sense also but i'll try to sum it all up with a sentence and a picture :

Bob Dylan is a poetry hardo
0mV6DvG.png

Who wrote some of the best and most poignant songs of the XXth century.

DKehoe

R Kelly is clearly an awful, despicable person but Ignition (Remix) is undeniably a great pop song.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Madonna the thread, she had some of the best production, but she can't sing.
It used to be song writers sold songs to multiple people, but I guess the accusations of people "stealing" songs out a stop to it.

I love the cover of Heartbeats by Jose Gonzales, didn't invalidate that I still love the knife way more than him and even still love their version just as good.

ssringo

Iron Maiden, the Blaze Bayley years.

That said, I'm sure part of is because he replaced a legendary singer in a legendary band and its hard to separate that fact from the music. I wish I could listen to those 2 albums and not know it's Iron Maiden because he is a great singer.

Laptop1991

If i don't like the vocals i generally don't like the song, Prince's vocals i never liked apart from When Doves Cry as he sings in a lower tone, and Elvis's slow ballads, i love his Rock N Roll songs, although he had a great voice, so it's just the songs with him.

Paasei

Placebo
Coldplay
Bring Me The Horizon
Genesis

There are great songs from these bands, but I can’t stand their voices at all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
As a baritone vocalist I’m gonna go with nearly every single male pop song since the 50s.

Why yall like squeaky dudes?

Last edited:
If I had to pick one it would be U2's Gloria. Lovely melody, but I do not like Bono's drawn out wailing.

P.S. I am baffled to read mentions of Rush, Led Zepplin, Genesis, and AC/DC in this thread. The vocals are half the reason people listen to their songs.

Last edited:

Alebrije

AC / DC the thread.

Can't stand the singers voice...just imagine Thunderstruck with the voice of Bruce D. from Iron Maiden or the singer from Aerosmith.

Last edited:

Yerd

Why there is a Mute Button...the thread :p

Oh, I'd like to try out for the role of the wall, please.

Dream Theater vocalist. I can't listen to the band, no matter how good they are because the vocalist ruins the music. I hate it so much. He may have ability and that's why he's in the band, but good god it sounds awful. When I discovered Symphony X, I rejoiced. They may not be equal in talent, but Russel Allen should be in Dream Theater to make it listenable.

As for all the other people listed so far, I don't agree with any of them, except Billy Corgan. I always liked Bullet with Butterfly wings, but still hated his voice. That's really the only song I know. Was never a fan.

This is a version more to my liking, but still not perfect. The song could be so much better with the right singer.

Genesis? Get your ears checked. Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel, both are incredible.

Top Bottom