• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 25th Anniversary - Retrospective

NZerker12

I understand how you feel but don't let a bunch of idiotic trolls prevent you from making threads and posts about Sonic. Your retrospectives are great and appreciated, no amount of trolls can take that away from you. I will proudly continue having Sonic as my avatar.

I really enjoyed your whole retrospective too and hope that you keep on with whatever you had planned for the next game. People are going to be idiots about things, especially in a thread with such a troll-tastic title like "Is Sonic a joke to you?". I remember people being mostly respectful in your threads for the individual games and it was nice to see some positivity around them, even if I personally didn’t agree with it (Sonic Unleashed is really hard for me to like). But you can’t live your life in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with you. I’m sure there is a more balanced discussion to be had about Sonic on NeoGAF, you’ve just got to look in the right places.

NathanS

This is the last time I will be disscussing Sonic on NeoGaf, at least for the next few weeks or months.

I feel like I wasted my time with this Retrospective series, as no one respects Sonic and the franchise as a whole. I get it has issues but it had some good bits. I just feel that with that recent thread, that I wasted my time making the Retrospective project when I could have focused that energy on other things.

I am very happy where I am now writing stuff on 3wirel and Crashy News in addition to the past work I put on Press Start AU and The Vita Lounge, so I have to thank this Retrospective series for kick-starting my writing career in many respects.

But I am so tired of the hate, bile and outright toxic nature Sonic gets. I'm used to it, but I guess I was lying to myself saying that; I am honestly very angry with many of the comments in that 'Sonic is a Joke?' thread.

Hope the anniversary game is great but I don't plan on talking about that or anything else Sonic related on Gaf. The Fan game retrospective? On hold for good. The Retrospective on the anniversary game? Will never release on NeoGaf. If people here hate the series, then my content from the series will not release on Gaf not unlike my Crash Retrospectives.

Hope you all have a good day and if you are not big fans of the series, at least consider giving it a shot with open eyes. If not, I understand.

I'm going to be honest this read as trying to guilt trip people for having the audacity to disagree with you.

I might like Lost World more than most because I thought it was like an 8.5/10 game. It has some of the same problems as the Galaxy games do, being something of a facsimile of them, but it has really good exploration, which I value highly in platformers.

RK128

I'm going to be honest this read as trying to guilt trip people for having the audacity to disagree with you.

No, this isn't my intention :l.

It was to state how I am tired of the bile aimed at not just Sonic, but platformers on this forum. People have been saying Sonic sucks for years and I honestly just wrote that off. But I just hit a breaking point and I'm tired of it.

If you think my post was selfish, spiteful or stupid, then feel that way. But that wasn't my intention.

No, this isn't my intention :l.

It was to state how I am tired of the bile aimed at not just Sonic, but platformers on this forum. People have been saying Sonic sucks for years and I honestly just wrote that off. But I just hit a breaking point and I'm tired of it.

If you think my post was selfish, spiteful or stupid, then feel that way. But that wasn't my intention.
As a longtime fan from Sonic 2 til now, the series has had a lot of down points. More than good, imo. However, you do a great job highlighting what makes the series special and have done a better job reinvigorating my interest in the series than I could have ever hoped, or wanted, for that matter, haha.

Keep the threads comin! I'm actually excited to see what they have in store for the new game and the onslaught of retrospectives is a huge part of it.

RK128

Hello everyone. Not going to say much outside that three major announcements happened last night during the big Sonic party.

-Sonic Mania: Classic series title in development from SEGA America, Taxman, Stealth, and Sonic Team (overseeing project). It is going to have playable Sonic/Tails/Knuckles and feature a mix of zones new & old (with old ones getting remixed with new level designs). Coming out Spring 2017 on PS4/X1/PC with Renegade Kid expressing interest in developing 3DS version for SEGA.
-Sonic '17: New title from Sonic Team that appears to be using the same formula from Generations; Sonic's (Modern & Classic) on a new adventure to save the world from the Eggmans. Nothing is known outside of Izkua stating its NOT a Generations Sequel & that it will be coming out on all major platforms (PS4/X1/PC) in addition to the NX. It is going to be a Winter 2017 release.
-Lego Sonic: Sonic is visiting the Lego worlds this fall in Lego Dimensions developed by TT Games, makers of Sonic 3D Blast & Sonic R. Sonic will be coming with a number of stages including Green Hill/Death Egg/Marble Zone/Emerald Coast and has a lot of his abilities across the series present. His Level Pack (which includes Sonic, his Blue Star All Stars Racing car, & Tails' Tornado plane) releases this November.

I will be covering all three announcements in future Retrospectives. Have a great day and thank you all for your time.

RK128

Starting July 24th, I feel like a new Era of Sonic is born. With the announcement of Sonic Mania, Lego Sonic (Dimensions) and Sonic '17, people here are showing appreciation and enjoyment toward the series again. It is nice to see and I am personally, the happiest I have been toward Sonic since Racing Transformed back in 2012.

SS.gif

Its such a great time to be a fan of Sonic and I want to officially announced that the Sonic Retrospective will continue with new Retrospectives in the future. Of course, this includes some additions I made to the OP.
-Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice
-Lego Dimensions - Sonic's Appearance & Level Pack Content
-Sonic Mania
-Sonic '17 Project

These will get full Retrospective treatments like past ones.

In addition, my as of now on hold Fan Game Retrospective is going to be rolled into this one. So, that means a number of games will be getting covered across the Fan Gaming Community, in celebration of Fan Game and Sonic Hacking Community developers making an official Sonic title through Sonic Mania! The following will be getting covered in the future.
-Sonic After the Sequel
-Sonic Time Twister
-Sonic Chrono Adventure
-Sonic Robo Blast Series
-Sonic Generations Hacks & Levels
-Sonic 3: Complete
-Sonic 2 Heroes

Hope you all look forward to future Sonic-related content from me and the retrospectives will happen again in the future. Not good with dates, but I ensure you all that something will be coming soon!

Have a great day everyone and lets celebrate the Sonic series!

I said this in the Sonic community thread, but while Sonic may never be as big as he was back in the 90s, he is at least past his darkest days.

I mean we'll probably still get the occasional dud here and there like Rise of Lyrics but I dunno. Sonic Mania looks absolutely fantastic, and if Sonic Team can continue to make games that are at-least Generations/Colors quality, we'll be alright.

RK128

I said this in the Sonic community thread, but while Sonic may never be as big as he was back in the 90s, he is at least past his darkest days.

I mean we'll probably still get the occasional dud here and there like Rise of Lyrics but I dunno. Sonic Mania looks absolutely fantastic, and if Sonic Team can continue to make games that are at-least Generations/Colors quality, we'll be alright.

I agree and I feel so happy that I can say at worse, the next set of games (Mania & Sonic '17) will just be 'good'. Sonic Team I have faith in doing a great job as they look to be pulling a Unleashed; big production but with both styles appealing to everyone (Classic being the Werehog in this case, but Classic's style is one that appeals to many people). That way we can have a long, epic adventure by having Classic being able to re-use level assets and coding that is in the Modern levels.

Just very happy with the series and want to share that with Gaf, as I feel with these latest set of announcements, Sonic has a bright future.

I think this would be a good place to post these; a 2-part podcast about the Sonic party that not only is hosted by me, but RK128 was with me in both of them (along with others, more in the second one)! :)

Part 1 - Predictions

Part 2 - Reactions

Thanks so much for being part of it RK, I definitely want you to be in future podcasts with me! :)

RK128

I think this would be a good place to post these; a 2-part podcast about the Sonic party that not only is hosted by me, but RK128 was with me in both of them (along with others, more in the second one)! :)

Part 1 - Predictions

Part 2 - Reactions

Thanks so much for being part of it RK, I definitely want you to be in future podcasts with me! :)

No problem :D! It was a lot of fun and I would be honored to join you with more Podcasts in the future!

I have faith that at the very least Sonic Mania will be a very good game and great callback to the classics. I'm reserving judgment on Project Sonic 2017 though. I'm not saying it'll be good or bad, but like... we know so little from the trailer it's impossible to make judgement of it yet aside from what the tone of the game looks like, which happens to look very weird and jarring considering that the trailer implies more gameplay like Generations.

RK128

Just wanted to update the OP with a lot of content, considering the fan game Retrospective is being rolled into this one now :D.

So, the listed fan games will be getting covered with full Retrospectives in the future, but if you guys have more suggestions, feel free to list them and will consider covering them too!

Have fun celebrating the series and lets keep on running.

RK128

Ummmm one question....what are the chances of sonic Heros HD?

Is that a question regarding a fan game or something like a remaster of Heroes from SEGA?

If its the former, never heard of it before :l.

If its the latter, then I feel it could happen with the Adventure titles in an HD Collection this Fall or next year, as they don't have something for Adventure fans (Classic = Mania / Modern = Sonic '17).

I've noticed something in everything relating to Sonic Mania so far. In the trailer and opening act cards, there are four colours shown (five if you include the Yellow background). Three of those colours represent playable characters: Blue (Sonic), Orange (Tails), Red (Knuckles), and... Turquoise. Any possibility this might represent an unrevealed fourth character?

Example:

Example of it in gameplay:
https://youtu.be/PQ8EedQJk7Y?t=17s

RK128

Hello!

Just letting you all know that the Fan Game Retrospectives are going to be releasing very soon, but considering how packed week is going to be with Retro's on Gaf (KH:COM, KH2, MM9, MM10, MMX7) they will be on my Wordpress site. I will let you all know when the ones on After the Sequel & Chrono Adventure release and next week they will land on Gaf.

Thank you all for the support and lets keep on running :D

RK128

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to inform you all that I will be making a Retrospective on Fire & Ice but it will be releasing sometime next week or later. I will be posting in the official Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice OT and will share my thoughts on the game whenever I get around to buying/playing the game.

Considering it is going to be part of a new part of this Sonic Retrospective, I wanted to share this information with you all.

I hope everyone has a great day and thank you all for your time.

Top Bottom