• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sends Cease and Desist letter to developer of DevHook

With all the success of Devhook, I guess it was getting too uncomfortable for Sony on their comfy chairs. It seems that pspsoftware.ddo.jp, the actual release site of Devhook has received a Cease and Desist Order from Sony with regards to distributing Devhook.

Now my Japanese isn't something to write home about, so I'll leave it to 0okm, who has got the translation covered. Here's the translated text:

"Reboot_1.50.bin is the copyrighted material by SONY, that is mixed with DevHook0.43fix.
Warning from SCE to those who up-load DevHook0.43fix comes.
Moreover, please annul it at once when downloaded 0.43fix is preserved at hand, and it uses it.
Not seeing this knows and there is a possibility to use, too.
Please inform me of this when there is an owner in surroundings.
Moreover, the main body of DevHook and the relation file of all versions were deleted from this site.
As a result, opening DevHook on this site to the public is completely stopped."

Now you don't need to have a masters degree in English to make sense of that. Sony has taken action on PSPSoftware.ddo.jp for distributing Devhook and have also requested them to notify someone at Sony when the uploader (Booster) is online.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Not surprised. that other guy that made Fastloader/UMDEmulator disappeared suddenly, seemed pretty suspicious. Now they're trying to stop this guy from emulating any more firmwares (although it sounds like they just want to take the download links down)

shuri

Banned
I wonder why all those new school scene people are so obvious with their identity. They don't even bother being secretive. They have domain names and everything.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
No surprise here.

<cue multiples comments of if Sony was on their job we wouldn't have to use packages like this!!!>

I think Devhook and custom firmwares have evolved well enough.

I would hope they just branch out into 2 different entities (modified firmwares and Sony firmware). I'd be set, since I have 2 PSPs :D

-Rogue5-

shuri said:
I wonder why all those new school scene people are so obvious with their identity. They don't even bother being secretive. They have domain names and everything.

Maybe they want the notoriety? Or maybe they think what they're doing is legal... I mean, all the DevHook people gotta do to get around this is release their stuff withOUT the 1.5bin bits in it.... which could be quite possible.

black_13

Banned
Ouch. I don't like what's happening though, if not even the firmwire updates will work then they might just cut total userbase control over the PS3 as well.

bluemax

Banned
Silly scene kids are just way too open these days. Even if they get shut down someone else will pick up the work I hope. Honestly though devhook has totally ushered me back into the realm of legitimate PSP usage. Not that I was pirating or anything, I just wasn't using mine save for the occasional round of HSG or WP.

bluemax

Banned
It's a PSP app that let's you pick firmware's to emulate. That is if you're using a 1.5 PSP you emulate 2.6 or 2.7 etc etc

The main thing it does is let you play actual UMDs of games that have higher firmware requirements than 1.5 without actually upgrading.

bluemax said:
It's a PSP app that let's you pick firmware's to emulate. That is if you're using a 1.5 PSP you emulate 2.6 or 2.7 etc etc

The main thing it does is let you play actual UMDs of games that have higher firmware requirements than 1.5 without actually upgrading.
Or, more notoriously, ISOs...

Bebpo

Banned
black_13 said:
Ouch. I don't like what's happening though, if not even the firmwire updates will work then they might just cut total userbase control over the PS3 as well.

Depends on if homebrew allows playing of ISOs off the harddrive. If people are bootlegging games left and right, then yeah Sony is going to do something about it.

bluemax

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Or, more notoriously, ISOs...

Yeah but ISO loading of higher firmware games existed before Devhook. Devhook IIRC was the first thing to let you have full use of other firmwares without upgrading thus allowing for legitimate UMD loading without firmware upgrades. At least that's why people on GAF care...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Devhook just made pirating easier. Most PSP games were already able to run from memory sticks but you needed common sense to follow a few instructions.

Devhook allowed EVERYTHING to run from UMD. And it came at a good time since lots of PSP games are dropping price

Not to mention it comes with some cool features like 333 mhz for most games that can take advantage of it, and the nifty screenshot module

bluemax said:
Yeah but ISO loading of higher firmware games existed before Devhook. Devhook IIRC was the first thing to let you have full use of other firmwares without upgrading thus allowing for legitimate UMD loading without firmware upgrades. At least that's why people on GAF care...
It also automated ISO loading...

And I think Sony probably did send something to the other ISO loaders as well.

bluemax

Banned
Probably, UMDEmulator disappeared fast and there was like one maybe two releases of MPH game loader.

And yeah Devhook made iso loading easier, but it also actually brought legit features forward.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
But as of Devhook 0.46, Booster also released the SDK. So even if he gets shot down, won't someone else be able to "take up the reins" so to speak, and continue with the project?

Jonnyram

I actually really wanted that screenshot module, but was lazy and never got devhook setup in time. I guess I never will now :(

It sounds like the specific problem is the reboot.bin file that DevHook needs. The last DevHook I got required you to hunt around on the net for that file, had they merged it into the newer ones or something?

f@luS

More than a member.
i hope its not gonna stop

F*ck sony, why should i upgrade to play UMD i buy?

Stop blocking psp @ 222mhz , i pay full and i have twice or 10x even the fun when i play game with memory stick @ 333mhz

When ull make no loading time UMD and stop blocking PSP at 222 , ill see

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Because it's impossible to have a smooth playing game without loading times @222MHz!

Sir, Tekken: DR is here to see you, should I tell him you're busy?

f@luS

More than a member.
And so what?

Playing Outrun 2 @ 222mhz is horrible , when @ 333 is really better
Same for Power stone demo, Wipeout , Gta , Pop , and many games

Really games on Mstick = 0 loading time , Just take valkyrie profile and try...really not the game :D

Mstick + 333 mhz = winning combo

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
@ f@lus: Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I'm all for 333mhz for most games and I'm convinced that Tekken: DR would be even more awesomer if Sony unlocked 333MHZ for devs.

sorry, Tekken DR doesn't exist! Because Game A has 10 minute loading times, it's impossible for games to have less than that!
:lol

f@luS

More than a member.
well tekken isnt the good exemple :D
this game is amazing looking , smooth and good loading time even on UMD @ 222

BUT most games arent :( and im so happy to have 333 + Mstick , Mstick make psp feel like Nintendo DS :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Because it's impossible to have a smooth playing game without loading times @222MHz!

No such thing as Daxter or a Ready At Dawn engine...
The problem is that all games aren't created equal and you know that there are quite a few titles that receive massive boosts from using 333 MHz and memstick loading. Outrun is probably the best example, as it is COMPLETELY unplayable to me without 333 MHz mode (like sub-30 fps 75% of the time). There are so many games that benefit so greatly from the higher clockspeed. Times are getting better, though, and more games are running great from UMD at 222, but still...

I just wish they'd unlock it. Gokumakaimura at 30 fps was very disappointing and there is no doubt in my mind that it would have been 60 if 333 MHz was allowed.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
dark10x said:
The problem is that all games aren't created equal and you know that there are quite a few titles that receive massive boosts from using 333 MHz and memstick loading. Outrun is probably the best example, as it is COMPLETELY unplayable to me without 333 MHz mode (like sub-30 fps 75% of the time). There are so many games that benefit so greatly from the higher clockspeed. Times are getting better, though, and more games are running great from UMD at 222, but still...

I just wish they'd unlock it. Gokumakaimura at 30 fps was very disappointing and there is no doubt in my mind that it would have been 60 if 333 MHz was allowed.

I'm not sure if Goku Makaimura would've been 60 fps actually. Just because there's extra processing power to be utilized doesn't mean they'll use it exclusively to up the framerate. Unless the devs have stated otherwise, there's probably a bigger chance the game would've looked better, but still running at 30. If they really wanted it to run at 60, they could've just developed the game accordingly IMO.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kiriku said:
I'm not sure if Goku Makaimura would've been 60 fps actually. Just because there's extra processing power to be utilized doesn't mean they'll use it exclusively to up the framerate. Unless the devs have stated otherwise, there's probably a bigger chance the game would've looked better, but still running at 30. If they really wanted it to run at 60, they could've just developed the game accordingly IMO.
I disagree. Many of Capcom's other recent PSP titles have been 60 fps. Rockman X, for instance, is 60 fps...but there are bouts of slowdown here and there. With Makaimura, however, the visuals are being pushed further and more is going on. Had they allowed 60 fps, it would have likely slowed down far too often at 222.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
shuri said:

They get hired bro. People pay these dudes silly money to come in and write OSes n shit.

Top Bottom