• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sent a gift to RAD studios

MDSLKTR

Incoming order 1886 sequel? Or just a gesture showing they're willing to collaborate again? They really should imo, very talented studio.

Psykodad

Banned
I would like to see a sequel.

Idc what people ranted about at the time, The Order's gunplay was rock-solid.

If they manage to give us more gameplay and more varied boss fights, while adding a worthwhile MP-mode, the game might be far better than people would expect.

Honestly, they had a solid foundation.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well Sony have said they have unannounced sequels under development...

The sad thing about The Order was that even though the fundamentals were good, once the reviews started saying that all the game offered was a short campaign and nothing else, it was basically dead in the water as a full-price product.

DanielsM

Banned
- Graphics A+
- Getting the time period correct A
- Guns A
- Gunplay A
- Animations A
- Story A+
- Backstory A
- Voice Acting A+
- Soundtrack A+
- Human AI C+/B-
- QTE Design F-
- Length D-

- walking sim in parts, restricted movement (-)
- limited enemy types (-)
- limited gun play sections (-)
- limited game play for an AAA game (-)
- limited replay value or lack of co-op or mp, or horde mode or something (-)

60-70 mc is correct, but man it was outstanding in many areas.

Just hire Cliff (I don't really like him but..) and be done with this and make the sequel.

Last edited:

Fbh

That's cool. For all the issues with the game the art direction and overall concept are still awesome.
Hopefully someday we get a similar game but made by a team that actually wants to make a videogame instead of a movie

Not too many people complained about the gunplay. It was a good but rather standard cover shooter.
The issue was the overly cinematic approach. It was a 6-7 hours game with way too many cutscenes for a story that wasn't really that good, too many forced walking sections, too many boring QTE section, boring and badly designed stealth sections, and even the shooting which was the only competent gameplay element in the game suffered from a lack of enemy variety and a terrible boss fight which they then recycled.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Not too many people complained about the gunplay. It was a good but rather standard cover shooter.
The issue was the overly cinematic approach. It was a 6-7 hours game with way too many cutscenes for a story that wasn't really that good, too many forced walking sections, too many boring QTE section, boring and badly designed stealth sections, and even the shooting which was the only competent gameplay element in the game suffered from a lack of enemy variety and an a terrible boss fight which they then recycled.

100% agree there, the guns to me were freaking awesome, the cover system was solid, but it could be better i.e. Gears of War / RE 4. The lack of enemy types was very apparent and the QTE boss fights were just horrible. Needed to be 5-7 different types of enemies and ability to take them down in groups with gun play i.e. Gears of War/RE 4. More freedom and more fights and better encounters.

Shakka43

There is enough potential to convert The order into a solid franchise, tbh the only thing I didn't like about 1886 was the pacing, which was a big flaw but I feel RAD devs are talented enough to improve on it.

DonF

The Order's gunplay was rock-solid.
Agree. The game was there, they clearly focused way too much resources in the graphics, but there is a solid foundation for a sequel. I would love if it added Co op, which was the first thing I thought when the game was announced,also because of the key art.

ethomaz

Banned
Except graphics and character/weapon design everything else was trash Tier.

So why support something that didn’t even reach the basics of game for a launch.

- Bad gameplay
- Slow paced
- No bosses
- Unfinished story
- QTE battles lol

Instead a sequel they can try to remake the original in a good game first.

Last edited:

If they manage to give us more gameplay and more varied boss fights, while adding a worthwhile MP-mode, the game might be far better than people would expect.

Honestly, they had a solid foundation.
I found the game boring as hell, the gun play was a shore to me, in fact I did not like any of their God of War games either... but if they for someone with more talent to direct their artists in making a new game in the same world as the Order 1886 I'd be pretty amazed as there is certainly a serious talent pool there (assuming the staff is still present).

So we shall see, maybe if they get direction from Santa Monica or Naughty for for game-play and level design, and they should widen the field of view, it made me feel claustrophobic.

Bryank75

Banned
Needs to add some good melee system and more diverse enemies, make it into a 3D castlevania. They already had the rope swing in Uncharted 4, just turn it into a whip.....
Add some cool boss battles and vampire abilities.... I think it could be really good.

TeamGhobad

Banned
anybody else think they were trolling with their ball game? as if they were under some kind of contract to make another game and thats what they did. im perplexed nobody is talking about it.

FranXico

The setting and lore had potential, but the generic gameplay, the poor pacing, overwhelming amount of cutscenes over gameplay, and outright poor enemy and level design (especially the stealth sections) let that potential down.

A sequel that fixes all of the above would be an impressive feat.

LostDonkey

I only got so far and encountered what i can only assume was a glitch..... Or im really bad at the game.

It was an industrial area or factory with a sniper that i could not find after searching for literally an hour. The game wouldn't let me progress until id done away with him so i never got past it.

Was alright what i played up to then though.

flacopol

that weapon could give you more fun that the game, and if you disarm-clean-rearm the gun you pass more time that the need it to finish the main campaign

Gamernyc78

Banned
Gunplay, Graphics, ganeplay and weapons were great, too bad there wasn't more of it. Idk wth ppl are talking about bcus the little gameplay there was was enjoyable. The boss qte, repetitious bs was ass too.

I would love a sequel where it was more gunplay/gameplay focused and no qtes.

I enjoyed The Order. Sure, there was room for improvement, but I'll be damned if there isn't a foundation for something spectacular there. And it was enjoyable for what it was, despite its shortcomings anyway. I'd love to see RAD have another crack at it.

The Alien

Banned
- Graphics A+
- Guns A
- Gunplay A
- Animations A
- Story A+
- Backstory A
- Voice Acting A+
- Soundtrack A+
- Human AI C+/B-
- QTE Design F-
- Length D-

Just hire Cliff (I don't really like him but..) and be done with this and make the sequel.
Lol. Yes, the "gameplay" was shit and it was short (especially considering how padded it was).....but damn, everything else was freaking fantastic.

You also forgot character (and monster) design....A+.

Ar¢tos

- Graphics A+
- Guns A
- Gunplay A
- Animations A
- Story A+
- Backstory A
- Voice Acting A+
- Soundtrack A+
- Human AI C+/B-
- QTE Design F-
- Length D-

You forgot:
- Moustaches/Beards A+
Very important!

LMJ

Hey Sony, you can send me one of those too lol

Hoping for a sequel, it had its faults, but the framework they built is very solid.

Personally I would have tyem talk with other Sony Studios like Sony Santa Monica for help with things like real time events or boss fights.

spawn

This game was so fun. I would like a sequel. The cutscenes were long, but I was into the story that I didn't care

JordanN

Banned
Imagine The Order gets a sequel....

....for PS Vita.
4I5ggM6.jpg

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Meanwhile at Sony:
-"I just found some promo trash lying around in storage, should I throw it away?"
-"That thing with it's own locked cage? Jesus, I ain't hauling that down to the dump. Just stick the devs address on it and call UPS."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Incoming order 1886 sequel? Or just a gesture showing they're willing to collaborate again? They really should imo, very talented studio.

The Order 1886 PT2 on the PS5 would be amazing! All they needed was a 2nd chance.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m not gonna lie. Loved the order. Fuck uncharted. Fuck the last of us. The order was solid.

Great story. Galahad was a great character. It was like the underworld movies but 100x better. The knights of the round, wolves, vampires and conspiracy... was great.

Gunplay was awesome too. If it had pvp to compensate for the campaigns length, which is comparable to nearly every other tps and FPS out there... it would’ve gotten received much better.

I want a sequel!!!!

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
It feels more like a sting to give them something of a game that didn't do well, which is whyI'm of opinion that there might be more to this.
RaD studios has a lot of former WWS guys (ND/SSM?) so the talent is there even if 1886 didnt' set the world on fire.

makaveli60

F the haters, I need a sequel! Still the best looking game IMO, they made a playable CG movie (and in my case, this is a compliment) in the early days of this generation and I had always dreamt about playing games with graphics like in their CG videos. Mystical Victorian England is one of my favorite settings, the gunplay was tight and I liked the characters and the music. I loved this game and it deserves a better fate, just as their developers. I can see the reasons why some people don't like it but what this game and the developers received was totally unfair.

Last edited:

PsyEd

I was surprised it never got any PRO upgrade. In my book it wasnt bad but it wasn't good either....just average title I would only buy on thos3 flash sales where its $15 or cheaper.

ethomaz

Banned
I was surprised it never got any PRO upgrade. In my book it wasnt bad but it wasn't good either....just average title I would only buy on thos3 flash sales where its $15 or cheaper.
Probably because RAD was out already so there is nobody to code the Pro patch...

Last edited:
The lore and characters have PLENTY of potential but the actual game sucked asses so it's highly unlikely we will ever see a sequel unless it's made by the big guns like Naughty Dog or Santa Monica, in which hands the saga could rise.

It would be amazing a "The Order: 1986" with Galahad being a bit of Duncan Macleod.

Judging from the conversations going on in the tweet, it was on display for some time at Sony. So, that tells me that instead of throwing it in the dumpster, they decided to give it to the devs as an anniversary gift. A nice gesture for sure, but in no way means any further collaboration.
That said, I wouldn't mind a sequel. The game wasn't terrible, just short and with no replay value.

Last edited:

Halo0629

I did enjoyed the game enough to platinum it and it's really not as bad as people claiming it to be, but I do agree that if there's a sequel it really needs a new gameplay direction and some overhaul.

The Order 1886 was much better than any Micro$oft exclusive this generation with the exception of the exceptional Quantum Break, Ori, Cuphead, and Crackdown 3.

Sony needs to do a proper sequel ASAP!

Top Bottom