• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should bring back the Instant Game Collection for PS4

Dynomutt

I think should should bring this back. It was an instant value added proposition. For the Vita and can serve the PS4 well. In signing up for PS Plus 3 great titles were instantly made available for you.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Wipeout 2048
Gravity Rush

These could work well if announced at E3 knowing Sony might me stingy with any type of subscription service. They would have to go hard with games though. Here's my suggestions:

Uncharted 4: great hype announcement to introduce people to Chloe for Lost Legacy.

Gravity Rush 2: why not great title and fun mechanics.

The new Wipeout? That would be a surprise!

Having a tough time with another title or a VR title. This could be a game like The Last of Us or a title like Rigs.

What do you think Gaf?

That was basically the PS+ we have now. Only this time the games they offer now only last 1 month for you to download, unlike before when they use to be available to download for a longer time. The games you mentioned as well some early PS3 plus titles stayed available to download for a long time (inFamous 2, LBP2 and U3 lasted nearly a year)

The idea would be interesting, but I can't see them doing it if the PS+ system works for them.

ironmang

Buying my Vita on Black Friday 2012 was probably the best video game related decision I ever made. $180 for the white Vita w/ Assassin's Creed bundle to go with those 3 games. 2012-13 Sony was godlike. They spoiled the shit out of us then compared to the scraps we get on most months now.

haveheart

Banned
I'm all for it. They should make some iconic PS IPs available for every PS owner.

They should also bring back the Platinum series.

Sony should make online $10 a year, then let people buy the games they want.

They're not going to for reasons, but they should.

leeh

If buy this you mean a Game Pass variant, then yes, completely agree.

These relatively cheap subscription ideas are great value and give new buyers a chance to get a boat load of games for relatively little.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Giving away Uncharted 4 for free, right. Here's how it works: You give away games that don't sell

Another thing you probably don't realize is that the $5 Sony (or Microsoft, it doesn't really matter) gets for a subscription is not there to give away games. They sell new games, giving away interesting games for free makes no sense unless they can create an interest in a successor. Or like with Rocket League you want to create a player base.

Also this money goes to server infrastructure, marketing deals and (time) exclusive DLC. Sony likes to spend a ton on exclusive marketing rights and COD DLC, that's why they don't have the money to give away better games. Nor do they want to because, as I already said, they like to sell you games.

Giving away Uncharted 4 for free, right. Here's how it works: You give away games that don't sell

Another thing you probably don't realize is that the $5 Sony (or Microsoft, it doesn't really matter) gets for a subscription is not there to give away games. They sell new games, giving away interesting games for free makes no sense unless they can create an interest in a successor. Or like with Rocket League you want to create a player base.

Also this money goes to server infrastructure, marketing deals and (time) exclusive DLC. Sony likes to spend a ton on exclusive marketing rights and COD DLC, that's why they don't have the money to give away better games. Nor do they want to because, as I already said, they like to sell you games.
This 100%. People would rather complain than try to understand the business side of it.

PiFace

Banned
Sony should make online $10 a year, then let people buy the games they want.

They're not going to for reasons, but they should.
Huh, that sure is a great business plan.

I love how people suggestion a half baked solution then unironically wonder why it won't be implemented.

yurinka

I think all digital games should have the 1 hour free trial period for accounts who already pay PS+/Gold/etc (to avoid abuse using different acounts).

This would end piracy, the need to make demos, most refunds and would increase the user satisfaction for people who bought games (you would buy less games you don't like, and you would be more sure that you are going to like the ones you buy).

haveheart

Banned
I think all digital games should have the 1 hour free trial period for accounts who already pay PS+/Gold/etc (to avoid abuse using different acounts).

This would end piracy, the need to make demos, most refunds and would increase the user satisfaction for people who bought games (you would buy less games you don't like, and you would be more sure that you are going to like the ones you buy).

Yes, the would be a great solution. And it would probalby boost digital sales.

I wonder if they'll announce changes to PSN on E3...

Huh, that sure is a great business plan.

I love how people suggestion a half baked solution then unironically wonder why it won't be implemented.

True, I should be spending my spare time coming up with elaborate power point presentations and well sourced business portfolios in order to convince Sony to stop doing the thing that makes them way more money than what I would prefer them to do, for my sake rather than their's. Maybe even create a highly produced, elaborate video detailing how much I like my own business plan.

Great idea, bro.

Top notch.

This idea made business sense back in the early years of PS+. Since online play on PS3 and Vita is free, they needed to offer other reasons for consumers to sign up for the service. As this is no longer the case, Sony has almost no incentive to bring back this program.

I just wish they would work on BC like Microsoft has done so brilliantly, but unlike Microsoft, with Sony being the market leader they have zero motivation to do so.

Plus, imagine there is some technical reason that would make it difficult, like PS3's cell structure.

Falchion

One of the reasons I bought my Vita was because I knew my PS Plus subscription would get me Uncharted and Gravity Rush which I really wanted to play.

Top Bottom