• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulslike action RPG Mortal Shell announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC

bronk

Banned
Why?

It's a simple term that gives people a general idea of what the game will be like a modeled after. It's just a word, I can't imagine hating just a descriptive word of a video game genre or sub genre. Then again I am not a contrarian.

Racing.
Roguelike.
Soulslike.
Metroidvania.
Sports.
Battle royale.
Etc.

All simple phrases and words that immediately tell me whether I would be interested or not. If I see roguelike then I am automatically out because I don't enjoy those games. I quite enjoy soulslike games and when I saw lords of the fallen called a soulslike game I tried it and I enjoy it. So for me that name serves a purpose to me.
I agree 100

WolfusFh

Why?

It's a simple term that gives people a general idea of what the game will be like a modeled after. It's just a word, I can't imagine hating just a descriptive word of a video game genre or sub genre. Then again I am not a contrarian.

Racing.
Roguelike.
Soulslike.
Metroidvania.
Sports.
Battle royale.
Etc.

All simple phrases and words that immediately tell me whether I would be interested or not. If I see roguelike then I am automatically out because I don't enjoy those games. I quite enjoy soulslike games and when I saw lords of the fallen called a soulslike game I tried it and I enjoy it. So for me that name serves a purpose to me.

It's a dumb label that means absolutely nothing. Why? Because people (and I don't mean just game journalists, I mean everyone) use it to classify any fucking game in which you can roll and has a stamina bar. Shit, sometimes it doesn't even need the stamina bar.

Games like hollow knight, dead cells, bloodstained, Monster Hunter, Nier Automata, all of these are called "souls like" because of the tiniest connection, or even abstract shit like "it FEELS like dark souls". If a game has ANY of the features below, it becomes "soulslike"

- Punishing death
- Enemies that kill you fast
- The need to learn enemy pattern
- Exploration
- Non linear map
- Dark atmosphere

Having these makes it a "soulslike". And you know what's funny? All of the traits above are present in Resident Evil 1 remake, which also has slow pacing and learning the lore by reading items. So either you guys accept that dark souls is nothing but a RE-Like, or you stop using this dumb crap for every game

stickkidsam

Well that was pretty rad. It looks like there could be some kind of body possession mechanic? Maybe you're a wandering soul that takes over dead enemies and you can use the bodies of those you defeat to gain more abilities.

The world does look a bit lacking though. It's gorgeous, but I'm not seeing much to indicate what kind of world or culture there used to be. Just demonic structures in the middle of wastelands. If this is some kind of post apocalypse fantasy world it'd be nice to see more than the odd depressed blacksmith. Maybe have a small City hub that is trying to expand back into the world and you've been summoned to clear out the demons?

Edit: Forgot to read the description. Well I guess that answers those questions lol

On a technical level it may look great but on a creative level it looks like something i've seen a million times before in dark fantasy concept art.
It usually helps inject some interest into the topic if you provide examples of what would give it more creative flair. Calling something generic, while fine, doesn't really take the conversation anywhere.

Not trying to call you out specifically; just forum discussion in general sometimes gets caught up in negatives without alternatives.

Last edited:

WolfusFh

People unironically call God of War a '' soulslike '' lol.

But dude, you have a roll with i-frames and tough enemies. It's exactly dark souls.

This reply was sarcastic, the dumb people that usually say this really mean it. I bet DMC 1 would be called "souls like" if it was released today.

Last edited:

WolfusFh

Every shit people find hard they spam "Soulz gaimy".

Serious, I already saw people calling pokemon soulslike. Demented as shit.

It's not just the difficulty anymore. The smallest similarity with dark souls is enough to be called "soulslike"

Enemies respawn, stamina-based combat, losing some sort of progress after dying(i.e lack of checkpoints), potions with healing animation, rolling, "focus on bosses", dark theme, medieval theme, slow combat, etc

People cherry-pick one or two of these features in any game and say "it's exactly like dark souls". It's fucking cancer

bronk

Banned
It's a dumb label that means absolutely nothing. Why? Because people (and I don't mean just game journalists, I mean everyone) use it to classify any fucking game in which you can roll and has a stamina bar. Shit, sometimes it doesn't even need the stamina bar.

Games like hollow knight, dead cells, bloodstained, Monster Hunter, Nier Automata, all of these are called "souls like" because of the tiniest connection, or even abstract shit like "it FEELS like dark souls". If a game has ANY of the features below, it becomes "soulslike"

- Punishing death
- Enemies that kill you fast
- The need to learn enemy pattern
- Exploration
- Non linear map
- Dark atmosphere

Having these makes it a "soulslike". And you know what's funny? All of the traits above are present in Resident Evil 1 remake, which also has slow pacing and learning the lore by reading items. So either you guys accept that dark souls is nothing but a RE-Like, or you stop using this dumb crap for every game
To be honest Resident Evil Remake is kind of souls like. That's a good point. I'll tell my buddy to check out Resident Evil. He loves souls like games as well.

WolfusFh

To be honest Resident Evil Remake is kind of souls like. That's a good point. I'll tell my buddy to check out Resident Evil. He loves souls like games as well.

Why do you think they remade it? It was precisely to make it exactly like dark souls.

Sure, the remake was made before and all that stuff, but there's nothing stopping capcom from copying games that weren't made yet.

Resident evil (and by consequence, DMC, and then bayoneta, ninja gaiden, god of war and every game ever made) are just copies of dark souls.

bronk

Banned
Why do you think they remade it? It was precisely to make it exactly like dark souls.

Sure, the remake was made before and all that stuff, but there's nothing stopping capcom from copying games that weren't made yet.

Resident evil (and by consequence, DMC, and then bayoneta, ninja gaiden, god of war and every game ever made) are just copies of dark souls.
I see the souls like in those games. Did anyone from Capcom end up working for Fromsoftware? They must have taken the souls like gameplay with them.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It looks really good, visually. I have no interest in seeing more games in this genre, though. It was an interesting novelty, and Fromsoft and Team Ninja did some interesting things with it. But it's enough already.

stickkidsam

It's interesting that genres in games become less about their tone (e.g. action, horror, shooter) and instead defined by games that popularize a style (e.g. metroidvania, >game<like). You don't see this kind of thing in movies and I'll bet it impacts the reception of games that are just trying to do their own thing.

It looks really good, visually. I have no interest in seeing more games in this genre, though. It was an interesting novelty, and Fromsoft and Team Ninja did some interesting things with it. But it's enough already.
What would reinvigorate your interest in the genre? Is it the atmosphere, gameplay, meta?

Danny Dudekisser

It's interesting that genres in games become less about their tone (e.g. action, horror, shooter) and instead defined by games that popularize a style (e.g. metroidvania, >game<like). You don't see this kind of thing in movies and I'll bet it impacts the reception of games that are just trying to do their own thing.

What would reinvigorate your interest in the genre? Is it the atmosphere, gameplay, meta?

I do not like the RPG aspect of these games, nor how long they are. If I'm going to play something difficult, I'd prefer it be closer to an arcade game in terms of no-frills mechanics.

stickkidsam

I do not like the RPG aspect of these games, nor how long they are. If I'm going to play something difficult, I'd prefer it be closer to an arcade game in terms of no-frills mechanics.
Have you had a chance to play Sekiro? That is more of a pure action game with any upgrades being more about the effect they have rather than the actual stats.

You might really like it! It trades out stamina management for a parry/poise mechanic that is really cool too. The main downside to this approach is that it devalues replay a lot because once you know an enemy's deal, you aren't gonna need anything else. If you aren't an avid player of new game+ modes though, it won't be an issue.

Danny Dudekisser

Have you had a chance to play Sekiro? That is more of a pure action game with any upgrades being more about the effect they have rather than the actual stats.

You might really like it! It trades out stamina management for a parry/poise mechanic that is really cool too. The main downside to this approach is that it devalues replay a lot because once you know an enemy's deal, you aren't gonna need anything else. If you aren't an avid player of new game+ modes though, it won't be an issue.

Haven't played Sekiro yet, but I do intend to get around to it eventually. Sounds like it's kinda what I'd be looking for.

stickkidsam

Haven't played Sekiro yet, but I do intend to get around to it eventually. Sounds like it's kinda what I'd be looking for.
It's a really refreshing take on the gameplay. Something I'd recommend however is that you change the control scheme right from the start. It's completely customizable so you'll have no problem making something you like.

As you progress through the game you'll learn different combat styles too, so while your only weapon is a sword, the abilities and tools you get vary it up nicely.

Kagey K

Banned
Seems fucked that games are still being announced for current gen. When games announced years before aren’t out yet.

drotahorror

Well that looks pretty damn sick. Not excited about it likely being an Epic exclusive. Will pirate if it is.

And stop acting like little bitches over the term 'souls-like'. Action RPG is too damn broad of a genre.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Like others "Souls like" it doesn't look to be like any of the Souls game.

However the visuals are interesting (but not the empty arena and environment)

CAB_Life

I don’t think the Soulsborne bandwagoning is warranted here. The art direction is really unique—a cross between Gieger and classic Western dark fantasy/ D&D. Mechanics look tight as Hell and with a speed closer to Ninja Gaiden than Souls. It looks very polished for a first reveal.

This game is definitely on my radar. Thank you for sharing.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Despite the 2 page argument over “Souls-like”, it seems to be accurate enough as a descriptor in this instance. I’m interested in seeing more, so hopefully the small team can turn out a labour of love. It might not be the most polished game we ever see, and it may even end up being somewhat derivative, but I’m hopeful. I liked the trailer, so it’s done its job.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

Publisher Playstack and developer Cold Symmetry have announced Mortal Shell, an “uncompromising, authentic, and hauntingly beautiful” action RPG built upon the “ruthless traditions of the soulslike genre.” It will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam in Q3 2020.

The game, known in its early development days as Dungeonhaven, is produced by a core team of 15 people who have worked on “some of the biggest AAA titles on the market.”

Cold Symmetry co-founders Andrew McLennan-Murray, Anton Gonzalez, and Vitaly Bulgarov said in a joint statement:

Here is an overview of the game, via Playstack:

Gematsu

Cool art design

Top Bottom