• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spanish PM vows to ban prostitution

Good luck with that!

Why do politicians love to waste tax payers money on stuff like this? It's like the war on drugs, there is no war, drugs won. And have done for some time.

it is simple, they do not care, they have to do something even if it is stupid to get attention. For me, the war on drugs is a waste of money and resources (at least is something I can halfway understand), but prostitution is the most stupid thing they could go against.

Good luck with that!

Why do politicians love to waste tax payers money on stuff like this? It's like the war on drugs, there is no war, drugs won. And have done for some time.
You seem to be under the impression that politicians care about the stupid shit they spend your money on. What are you going to do, vote them out of office so they can start their lobbying career?

Ionian

Yup won't happen. Prostitution is very open there.

Even get harassed on streets by them.

It's accepted. People just have other things to worry about. Making it illegal never stopped hookers.

Pretty stupid thing to say. No way even if it passes it will be enforced.

Spanish police are usually very chill but there is civil and government.

Got woken up once and a machine gun pointed at my face. I was asleep and they confused me with someone else? Was quickly sorted as the landlady was a doc, someone broke into her office. The had me sitting there at gunpoint but when she arrived she dismissed me as a suspect.

That was some night. Just walked away confused and went back to bed
I only answered their knock on my apartment door. My Spanish was also shit.

Then you have the civil police, I dropped a joint when I saw one approach me. He picked it up, straightend it out and gave it back to me with a smile.

Theirs two, government and civil.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Put me in the 'why?' camp also. I'm never gonna pay for it, but hell if thats what consenting adults want whats the problem?

OrtizTwelve

Good luck banning sex, along with drugs, alcohol, and other vices mankind has been engaging since we’ve formed basic societies.

Patrick S.

Banned
Yup won't happen. Prostitution is very open there.

Even get harassed on streets by them.

It's accepted. People just have other things to worry about. Making it illegal never stopped hookers.

Pretty stupid thing to say. No way even if it passes it will be enforced.

Spanish police are usually very chill but there is civil and government.

Got woken up once and a machine gun pointed at my face. I was asleep and they confused me with someone else? Was quickly sorted as the landlady was a doc, someone broke into her office. The had me sitting there at gunpoint but when she arrived she dismissed me as a suspect.

That was some night. Just walked away confused and went back to bed
I only answered their knock on my apartment door. My Spanish was also shit.

Then you have the civil police, I dropped a joint when I saw one approach me. He picked it up, straightend it out and gave it back to me with a smile.

Theirs two, government and civil.
I've lived in Spain for twenty years, and I can say this:

every single person I know from school who later became a policeman, was a loser, bully, drug dealer, thief, burglar etc. Every. Single. One. People become policeman not because they want to uphold the law, but because they're too dumb do do anything else, and beating up drunken Englisch tourists ist better than working at a construction site for them. And they get to have power and get to bully others without punishment.

Guardia Civil is the worst. I was close friends with several people who's fathers were Guardias, and almost all of them behaved like they were Gods. I know for a fact that one of them used to sometimes shoot stray dogs with his service weapon, just for fun.

On topic, I've made a road trip through mainland Spain, and it really struck me how when you drive in the Spanish countryside, you drive for half an hour without seeing any civilization, then you come to a small town that seems to consist of a "Club" whorehouse and five residences. Drive another half hour, then there's another town with a club and four other houses :D

Ionian

I've lived in Spain for twenty years, and I can say this:

every single person I know from school who later became a policeman, was a loser, bully, drug dealer, thief, burglar etc. Every. Single. One. People become policeman not because they want to uphold the law, but because they're too dumb do do anything else, and beating up drunken Englisch tourists ist better than working at a construction site for them. And they get to have power and get to bully others without punishment.

Guardia Civil is the worst. I was close friends with several people who's fathers were Guardias, and almost all of them behaved like they were Gods. I know for a fact that one of them used to sometimes shoot stray dogs with his service weapon, just for fun.

On topic, I've made a road trip through mainland Spain, and it really struck me how when you drive in the Spanish countryside, you drive for half an hour without seeing any civilization, then you come to a small town that seems to consist of a "Club" whorehouse and five residences. Drive another half hour, then there's another town with a club and four other houses :D

I only lived in Barcelona. Once you say you only speak English but are Irish they look relieved and are far nicer.

Having red hair kinda seals the deal. I've seen English louts in action, generally (not all) Irish people cause less hassle and and friendlier.

Then again McGregor has red hair and behaves like scum abroad (and here).

Last edited:

AJUMP23

That’s not how it works here. Unless you’re cracking a joke and I’m too sick to realize.
It was a joke. I know you have a constitutional monarchy, I don't know maybe the Spanish royal family has even less power than the English. But in old time the king could not steal since it was all his anyway.

Top Bottom