• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Speculation* Microsoft looking to acquire Turtle Rock Studios?

This would be a good get. Hopefully the new MS has the foresight to give their 1st party breathing room and not shut them down because game x didnt sell x millions of units AND not turning said studios into single IP assembly lines.

Interesting. Now I'm just thinking of what kind of game they'd make.

State 4 Decay?

New Shadowrun FPS like the Xbox 360 one? Not that I played it very much, but MS owns the license. But I'd rather Obsidian make a AAA Obsidian Shadowrun. But maybe a "Why not both?" Shadowrun FPS and Shadowrun rpg. Hmm

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
This would be a good get. Hopefully the new MS has the foresight to give their 1st party breathing room and not shut them down because game x didnt sell x millions of units AND not turning said studios into single IP assembly lines.
It would be a very get (especially alongside Obsidian)(2 solid gets).

Microsoft has already stated their intent to allow the studios to 'operate independently'. I know their history, but think they've learned from it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/microsoft-new-studios-independent/amp/

Wizav

Neo Member
Microsoft is obviously focusing on acquiring new studios... PS has destroyed M$ in this generation because of First Party Titles.

Phil Spencer said back in 2015 that M$ will be focusing on first party titles.. but it looks they are only now starting to take action on that issue (when they basically lost entire generation)

WaterAstro

This would be a poor acquisition with their debacle of Evolve, but probably a cheap acquisition since Turtle Rock has probably been... ahem... left 4 dead lol.

If Microsoft is just buying up studios for the sake of buying studios, they're really just burning money, but that's what Microsoft likes to do.

Elenchus

Banned
This would be a poor acquisition with their debacle of Evolve, but probably a cheap acquisition since Turtle Rock has probably been... ahem... left 4 dead lol.

If Microsoft is just buying up studios for the sake of buying studios, they're really just burning money, but that's what Microsoft likes to do.

Feel better now? Lol. It’s gonna be ok boobie. There. There.

VAL0R

Banned

One of the most profitable companies in the world sure don't like ta make money duuurp. You're a broken record.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
The feeling I have is that MS doesnt want to acquire Turtle Rock, MS wants Sony not to be able to acquire Turtle Rock studios.
I feel like MS is rushing in acquiring al known studios in the industry and just leave Sony alone with what they already have, like,
'Hey, you have pretty great exclusives but...THAT'S ALL YOU GONNA HAVE SINCE NOW MUAHAHAHAHA'

That's what's inside my mind.

WaterAstro

On

One of the most profitable companies in the world sure don't like ta make money duuurp. You're a broken record.
Profitable on Windows. lol

Failed on browser, failed on phones, failing on console as they switch to PC.
The feeling I have is that MS doesnt want to acquire Turtle Rock, MS wants Sony not to be able to acquire Turtle Rock studios.
I feel like MS is rushing in acquiring al known studios in the industry and just leave Sony alone with what they already have, like,
'Hey, you have pretty great exclusives but...THAT'S ALL YOU GONNA HAVE SINCE NOW MUAHAHAHAHA'

Sony doesn't want to acquire a studio that bombed so hard with Evolve.

Kagey K

Banned

You have to try to succeed, and when you try you run the risk of failing.

I wish I could fail as spectacularly. If I failed onto a bunch of millions of dollars I’d be happy.

Hayfield

Banned
This could be a great outcome for both parties, Turtle Rock could do with the stability and they would fit Microsoft's focus on multiplayer games, perhaps get them on a fleshed out horde mode on gears to ease them into it.

TeamGhobad

Banned
No thanks. I have no interest in that studio whatsoever and everyone there is just looking to cash out. i expect mass exodus after purchase.

The Alien

Banned

I think they are buying studios to crank out Game Pass titles.

I dont think Microsoft is worried about beating Sony to the punch in studios. If anything they are buying bv them to stop someone like Google or Amazon from getting studios.

A worthwhile studio to go after, and revitalizing for a studio that was shafted by 2K’s decisions in monetizing Evolve.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
*Speculation*
Microsoft to acquire Sony

Seriously though I love Money Hat Microsoft
The thing that really gets to a lot of Sony fans is that this could easily be true. They could buy Sony or Sony's gaming division if they ever chose to do so. That is why the console war stuff is so entertaining to me. On top of the pile is Sony so Sony fans have smack talking rights but Microsoft is like a 2000 pound gorilla being held back by a mouse (Sony) and they could literally destroy them if they just moved their foot forward. I prefer Xbox but I would hate for something like that to happen. Sony is the leader for a reason and I am not saying that should happen by any means, I just find it interesting that it COULD happen.

Sentenza

If confirmed, and paired with the rumored acquisition of Obsidian Studios, would delineate a trend of Microsoft going after talented but financially struggling studios, which admittedly would be a clever and sensible business strategy.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned

Would you like us to list Sony’s failures or do you think that post would be too long?

cryptoadam

Banned

I dont think Microsoft is worried about beating Sony to the punch in studios. If anything they are buying bv them to stop someone like Google or Amazon from getting studios.

MS is pulling a Netflix. Like movie studios, 3rd parties will eventually leave Gamepass. So MS will need content. They don't have the Nintendo or Sony back catalogue. So MS is going to make a metric ton of games for next gen to keep Gamepass filled with content.

^^ Sounds sensible enough, although according to Spencer, games on game pass sell more, although at a discount. But that's a pretty hugr difference from the netflix model; you can buy the content.

Would you like us to list Sony’s failures or do you think that post would be too long?

This is really getting stupid and petty at this point and why I wish the moderators would deal with certain known suspects more often. Negativity feeds negativity. We see it all the time, the same people keep being negative about a certain system and the reaction is to sink down to their level. I'm guilty of it too. It's clear MIcrosoft is going after AA studios that have some recognition but not AAA studios that may take 3 plus years between games. They want more production, 2-3 year development cycles that have good talent (Ninja Theory) that can make great games without huge budgets and not large teams of hundreds of people.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Well as devs for l4d they atleast have a decent pedigree. But evolve missed the point. Hard.

If they made a l4d style halo game about the flood taking over a small colony world would be cool though.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

LOL! Then whats inside your mind is wrong. In fact, Microsoft isnt worried about Sony in the least for next gen. Their worried about Google and Amazon streaming services. Both companies have the financial backing to buy virtually any studio they want. Microsoft is responding...

Daymos

As far as I can tell everything Microsoft buys turns to crap. I'm mostly thinking of Rare and Fable.. peter whats-his-name-there.. (fable will be the) "BEST RPG OF ALL time!!" Going to beat the final fantasies if microsoft can't convince Sakaguchi he doesn't suck after being fired from Squaresoft kind of thing..

It all reminds me of that guy who bought THQ and darksiders and kingdoms of amalur, MS should buy him, he's totally beating them in loser IPs at this point.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
As far as I can tell everything Microsoft buys turns to crap. I'm mostly thinking of Rare and Fable.. peter whats-his-name-there.. (fable will be the) "BEST RPG OF ALL time!!" Going to beat the final fantasies if microsoft can't convince Sakaguchi he doesn't suck after being fired from Squaresoft kind of thing..

It all reminds me of that guy who bought THQ and darksiders and kingdoms of amalur, MS should buy him, he's totally beating them in loser IPs at this point.

Couldn’t agree more. MS is a mismanaged sinking ship full of rats! Whole damn infested carcass will be joining Davy Jones locker any day now! Arghhh!

Oh wait...what’s this....

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1N02FQ?__twitter_impression=true

Gander

Banned
Believe it or not I feel like despite his no console war talk Phil Spencer really wants to win this last console war.

I thought Sony built their studios from the ground up? Whens the last time they bought one?

WaterAstro

You have to try to succeed, and when you try you run the risk of failing.

I wish I could fail as spectacularly. If I failed onto a bunch of millions of dollars I’d be happy.
You can make calculated risks, but not unsound decisions like acquiring a failing studio.

Microsoft's problem isn't the lack of studios. It's the lack of fostering studio talent. Sony has closed studios, but they have studios that have been around since PS1. They keep them and they keep delivering. Microsoft couldn't even keep Bungie with them, their flagship studio.
If you want to nitpick, go ahead. Sony has nowhere near burned as much money as Microsoft in terms of amount. Nokia's acquisition, alone, and the failure of Windows Phone is probably more than all of Sony's failed expenditures combined.

12Dannu123

You can make calculated risks, but not unsound decisions like acquiring a failing studio.

Microsoft's problem isn't the lack of studios. It's the lack of fostering studio talent. Sony has closed studios, but they have studios that have been around since PS1. They keep them and they keep delivering. Microsoft couldn't even keep Bungie with them, their flagship studio.

If you want to nitpick, go ahead. Sony has nowhere near burned as much money as Microsoft in terms of amount. Nokia's acquisition, alone, and the failure of Windows Phone is probably more than all of Sony's failed expenditures combined.

Actually the biggest failure for Sony was being close to being bankrupt. Their phone business was and continues to loose money along with their other businesses.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned

Last time I checked MS’s market cap was over 700 bil and Sony’s was around 69 bil. The ventures each can enter will obviously differ in magnitude given the relative size of each company. So the focus of your rebuttal on actual dollars lost is frankly pretty silly. No one in their right mind would prefer Sony’s stock over MS. So just keep it to gaming Larry Kudlow.

Last time I checked MS’s market cap was over 700 bil and Sony’s was around 69 bil. The ventures each can enter will obviously differ in magnitude given the relative size of each company. So the focus of your rebuttal on actual dollars lost is frankly pretty silly. No one in their right mind would prefer Sony’s stock over MS. So just keep it to gaming Larry Kudlow.

$830 billion market cap

Fitzchiv

Interesting thread this. What stands out is how people sit on the spectrum of understanding the changes to Microsoft as a business in the last 5 years. A lot of what people are saying is correct, just for different moments in time.

I'm with those who highlight MS are preparing for a much bigger war across multiple fronts here, and Amazon, Google and potentially Apple will be participants in it. These companies are all about integrated ecosystems, partnering subscription content with hardware offer. MS are bulking up on content creation as a key part of their differentiation, which is a significant change to the past where studios were acquired on a checklist basis.

For those that watch F1, the phenomenon of using the current season to prep for next year once the immediate battle looks clear shouldn't be alien, that's what MS are doing.

My prediction would be in 10 years time Nintendo don't make hardware and Sony have had to radically alter their business model (if they're a player at all, but they do have massive regional brand equity to play with).

I'm a consumer, so to hell with it, more competitors is good for us!

Pallas

This. It seems they are scooping up unique studios who have talents in developing in a variety of genres. Similar to how netflix develops shows and movies from pretty much every genre. L4D was incredibly fun with friends and ditto for Evolve. They were the kind of games that they aimed to be, multiplayer fun.

lol If Microsoft is just buying up studios, we’d hear about a lot more acquisitions. This isn’t just burning money. Also disagree about it being a poor acquisition. If they are indeed going to acquire them, it’ll fit nicely with them diversifying their first party line up for gamepass.

Last edited:
I like the good thinking in this thread. This isn't about MS vs Sony anymore. It's MS vs Sony vs Google vs Amazon! Perhaps Apple may even join the fray. In a a few years the metric of 'console units sold' will become irrelevant. There's a saying, skate to where the puck is going rather then where it is. MS is going straight into the future while Sony is cleaning up on their existing business model. I mean hell look at the market caps. Microsoft is worth 10 Sony's!

Top Bottom