• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spidey edges out Driv3r in weekly UK chart. NES classics bomb bomb.

cja

TOP 40 ALL SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES)

WEEK 28 YEAR 2004 ENDING 10TH JULY

LW TW TITLE PUBLISHER

1 SPIDER-MAN 2 ACTIVISION
1 2 DRIV3R ATARI
2 3 SHREK 2 ACTIVISION
8 4 ATHENS 2004 SONY COMPUTER ENT.
3 5 UEFA EURO 2004 PORTUGAL EA SPORTS
5 6 TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: PANDORA UBISOFT
4 7 HARRY POTTER - PRISONER OF AZKABAN EA GAMES
7 8 MCAFEE INTERNET SECURITY V6.0 MCAFEE
6 9 FULL SPECTRUM WARRIOR THQ
11 10 NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERGROUND EA GAMES

rest of the top 40
UK Software Charts

* Activision has its first No1 in the All Formats Chart since 'Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven' (PS2) reached No1 over a year ago, with the movie tie-in 'Spider-Man 2' (PS2/XB/GC/GBA/PC/N-G) edging out Atari's 'Driv3r' (PS2/XB) which drops to No2. The official release of the movie is not until next week, but 'Spider-Man 2' on PS2 has managed to sell over double that of the original PS2 game in its first week. Activision's other movie tie-in game 'Shrek 2' is pushed down from No2 to No3, while Sony's 'Athens 2004' (PS2) is the highest climber in the All Formats Top 10, up from No8 to No4. Movie/TV tie-ins now account for 7 out of the Top 40 All Formats titles. The only other new release to make it into the All Formats Top 40 is Capcom's 'Onimusha 3: Demon Siege' which debuts at No11 and instead of being a movie-tie it is a game which features famous French film star Jean Reno. No newly released GBA 'NES Classics' titles make it into the All Formats Top 40, but 'Sonic Advance' (GBA) is up from No23 to No14 and up from No2 to No1 on the GBA Chart, while the highest NES Classics new-entry is 'Super Mario Bros.' at No5.

Makes sense that the NES Classics line doesn't do well there...after all, wasn't it Sega's Master System that ruled the 8-bit console gaming scene there? Time for Sega to release a classics line of their own on GBA...nah, they're not that smart.

Deg

Banned
GBA games do better the week after, same went for Sonic Advance. The place doing the best deal for the NES games (£8.99 - 9.99 each) isnt covered by charttrack.

Bear in mind WhSmiths are doing a 3 for 2 on all GBA games sale. I think that would make a slight difference next week for all GBA games. Got some hot games yesterday in that sale. Might go again :p

cja

MightyHedgehog said:
wasn't it Sega's Master System that ruled the 8-bit console gaming scene there? Time for Sega to release a classics line of their own on GBA...nah, they're not that smart.
Yep, Master System was far more popular than the NES here but they were both very marginal systems compared to home computers such as the Amiga, Atari ST and before that Sinclair Spectrum and C64.

Deg

Banned
cja said:
Yep, Master System was far more popular than the NES here but they were both very marginal systems compared to home computers such as the Amiga, Atari ST and before that Sinclair Spectrum and C64.

Yeah they dominated the home market. It was very different to the US and Japan.

cja said:
Yeah, I remember that...all the good Amiga and C64 mags I ever read at my good old American bookstores were UK pubs...sexy this sexy that. I definitely remember the insane fascination with Samantha Fox with many mags back then...every month contained some allusion to her...yeah she was hot and the sexually suggestive songs of hers ... 80's flashbacks... Touch me, touch me now, Alex Kidd...

Damn, I really want my old Game Gear and Master Gear convertor to play my old SMS collection...

Mashing

That's ironic, as it seems the UK gets ripped off on a daily basis... how many times have our euro members complained about prices on this forum?

I'm surprised there aren't more people upset aout Spiderman 2 being #1 over Driver 3 this week. As much hate as Driver 3 got Spiderman 2 didn't turn out to be that much better. They both did 1 thing right (driving for D3 and swinging for S2) and that's about it. It's just that Driver 3 had more glitches.

Brofist

SolidSnakex said:
I'm surprised there aren't more people upset aout Spiderman 2 being #1 over Driver 3 this week. As much hate as Driver 3 got Spiderman 2 didn't turn out to be that much better. They both did 1 thing right (driving for D3 and swinging for S2) and that's about it. It's just that Driver 3 had more glitches.

I got the impression most people like Spiderman 2 here (and the reviews have been pretty good accross the board) I wouldn't compare it to Driv3r.

Top Bottom