• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Insurrection - Special Collector's Edition DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
B0007Y08PQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Best price for the week (6/5 - 6/11): $12.99 @ Circuit City

The 9th Star Trek film has just beamed down in an upgraded, 2-disc collector's edition DVD set (with Star Trek: Nemesis to follow this September). As with previous CE's of the ST films, this one is packed with lots of bonus materials with insights into the making of Insurrection. Trekweb's review of the DVD is pretty much spot on.....so if you have the bare-bones DVD, then you may want to upgrade as a completist.

The DVD specifications:

Disc 1

* Widescreen, anamorphic presentation for 16:9 TVs
* Dolby Digital
- English 5.1 Surround
- English 2.0 Dolby Surround
- French 2.0 Dolby Surround
* DTS
- English 5.1 ES
* Subtitles
- English
- Spanish
* Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda

Disc 2

Production

* It Takes a Village
* Location, Location, Location
* The Art of "Insurrection"
* Anatomy of a Stunt
* The Story of "Insurrection"
* Making of "Insurrection"
* Director's Notebook

The Star Trek Universe

* Westmore's Aliens
* Star Trek's Beautiful Alien Women

Creating the Illusion (Behind-the-scenes footage of sequences filled with action and visual effects)

* Shuttle Chase
* Drones
* Duck Blind

Deleted Scenes

* Ru'afo's Facelift
* Working Lunch
* Flirting
* The Kiss
* Disabling the Injector
* Alternate Ending

Archives

* Storyboards
* Photo Gallery

Advertising

* Teaser Trailer
* Theatrical Trailer
* Original Promotional Featurette
* Borg Invasion 4-D Trailer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trekweb.com's DVD review:

The DVD presentation of STAR TREK: INSURRECTION is much in the same vein as the previous single-disc release, with the film presented in anamorphic widescreen format. This time around, the visuals are better looking than before, with little image artifacting, if any, present. This means a picture that is rich and crisp-looking, right down to its visual effects. The DVD also boasts the same English 5.1 and Dolby 2.0 surround tracks, and a French Dolby 2.0 surround track, as on the previous release, with English and Spanish subtitles and English closed captions included. What's new on this disc is the inclusion of an English DTS surround track, which brings out much more subtlety in some places and immersive action in other places.

Packaging and Menus:

As with the previous eight editions, the new 2-disc set of INSURRECTION is packaged in a dual-disc Amaray case, with image art from the film's theatrical poster on the first disc and images of the different planets visited on the second disc. The only inserts that are included in the packaging are two small flyers for the STAR TREK Experience and for the first four series on DVD.

On the previous single-disc release, the menu selection process was extremely static, with only limited screen access capability. This, of course, was because of the limitations of DVD at the time and because of Paramount's tentativeness to step deeply into the wonders of what DVD could hold. This time, however, they're not holding back at all, and that's a good thing. With this latest TREK offering, the DVD menus are represented with CGI animation of the Son'a bridge viewscreen and its console areas, allowing you to choose from among the many different DVD functions. All of the animated menus are easily navigable, taking you from one section to another with ease.

The Extras:

The previous single-disc version of INSURRECTION was extremely limited in its inclusion of extras, with only a brief five-minute behind-the-scenes featurette and the film's original teaser trailer and theatrical trailer included on the disc. This was, of course, a result of the limitations of DVD at the time of its release, as Paramount had just begun to step into the DVD waters. (By comparison, everything on the previous release could have fit nicely onto a 2-hour videotape with room to spare.) For this new release Paramount has greatly stepped up with a host of extras totalling nearly four hours in all.

The first disc sports a new on-screen text commentary from TREK historians Michael and Denise Okuda, as they offer up their thoughts on little tidbits of information throughout the film. As is the case, the Okudas mention little tidbits of trivia for the TREK enthusiasts and production information on the development of the film.

The second disc holds the lion's share of extras, with six major sections included: Production, The STAR TREK Universe, Creating the Illusion, Archives, Advertising, and, perhaps the best of them all, Deleted Scenes. This time around, the featurettes have more substantial meat to them as they take you behind the scenes of the making of the film. This is because Donald Beck and Stephen Wolcott, who directed and produced the behind-the-scenes features on the GENERATIONS, FIRST CONTACT, VOYAGER, and Original Series DVDs, produced these new segments, so this time around they're a little on the meatier side. As with the recent TREK DVD offerings, the new segments are presented in letterboxed fullscreen format as opposed to the more appropriate anamorphic widescreen format. (Why anything would want to be presented in letterboxed fullscreen format is beyond me "" go figure.)

PRODUCTION is divided into seven featurettes and starts off with IT TAKES A VILLAGE, which covers the philosophy behind the creation and development of the Ba'ku village, from its simplistic farming and housing communities to the development of the 'duck blind" overlooking the village. Running time: 19:55.

Next up, we have LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION, which showcases the beautiful backdrop of the California mountains for many of INSURRECTION's breathtaking scenery. Here we get to see how the real-life scenery played an important role in the look of the film. Most interestingly, we get to see Brent Spiner doing his own stunt work of walking into a freezing lake, footage that for some unusual reason got cut from the final film. Running time: 19:55.

This is followed by THE ART OF INSURRECTION, as concept illustrator John Eaves presents a number of the different and interesting art designs used for the film, including the Enterprise shuttle, the Son'a warships, the Ba'ku community, and more. Running time: 14:52.

ANATOMY OF A STUNT takes a look at a rarely seen production aspect of not just STAR TREK but also any film or television project, the stuntmen's work. In this featurette we see how stuntmen blocked and carried out one of the action scenes for the film, another segment that was cut from the final film. Fortunately, we get to see a rough edit of that blocked scene toward the end of the feature. Running time: 6:30.

THE STORY OF INSURRECTION delves deeper into the themes and issues that Rick Berman, Michael Piller, and Patrick Stewart brought to the film's story and script, including the problematic issues of the story's weaknesses. Piller is mainly represented in this discussion, as he offers up his thoughts on the script's development and the political statements he was attempting to convey in this latest chapter. Running time: 17:15.

MAKING OF INSURRECTION is just that, the actual look behind the scenes at the film's production. Among the scenes shown are the construction of the Ba'ku village, the special effects for the duck blind mission and shuttle chase, interviews with the cast and crew, and plenty of location footage. All in all, everyone states how much fun they had in preparing this film. Running time: 25:05.

The final section, DIRECTOR'S NOTEBOOK, offers up a look at how Jonathan Frakes prepared the film for production. Frakes shares his thoughts on attempting to balance the needs of the long-time TREK audience with those of the newcomers by directing this latest segment and infusing more humor and character by-play. Frakes points out that the cast still works well together after 15 years, and although Piller's script for INSURRECTION wasn't as strong as the FIRST CONTACT script, he felt it was more strongly directed. After viewing this segment, you can understand why an audio commentary wasn't needed for this DVD. Running time: 18:53.

Moving on, THE STAR TREK UNIVERSE presents two featurettes. WESTMORE'S ALIENS gives a look at the different alien races created by long-time TREK makeup artist Michael Westmore for the film. Westmore discusses the challenges in creating the Son'a and other alien makeups, citing Terry Gilliam's film BRAZIL as an inspiration for the makeup in this film. Running time: 17:41.

The other featurette in this section, STAR TREK'S BEAUTIFUL ALIEN WOMEN, gives us a look at the many attractive female aliens that have graced the series and films over the last 40 years. This one is quite hilarious, as it spotlights many of the male crew members acting like hormone-crazed teenagers lusting over TREK lovelies from the Orion slave girl in 'The Cage" to Seven of Nine in VOYAGER and T'Pol in ENTERPRISE. Perfectly sums up what the least common denominator in STAR TREK has succumbed to in the last few years. Running time: 12:35.

CREATING THE ILLUSION presents three separate sections on the development of the film's spectacular visual effects. Three sequences - the shuttle chase (9:31), the drones (4:42), and the duck blind (4:36) - are presented here. In each section we get a layer-by-layer approach of how each sequence was filmed, including blue- and green-screen effects, CGI compositing, and the final versions as appears in the film.

The next section, ARCHIVES, offers a look at storyboards that were prepared in the film's pre-production. The only other section is a photo gallery of behind-the-scenes and on-set photos taken during the film's production. While some of these photographs have never been released, it nonetheless remains a superfluous feature and could have easily been kept off the disc.

Next, we move to the ADVERTISING section. The film's original teaser trailer and full theatrical trailer have been ported over from the previous single-disc release, as has the original five-minute promotional featurette, so these features are not new. The only other feature in the ADVERTISING section is a trailer for the BORG INVASION 4-D adventure, and this is one that has been previously included on the VOYAGER DVD sets.

What's perhaps most appealing about this new DVD of INSURRECTION is the inclusion of seven deleted scenes from the film. While the outer packaging neglects to mention the deleted scenes on the disc, they are in fact present, and that's a good thing for the fans. All of the deleted scenes are culled from an early workprint of the film and are presented in non-anamorphic widescreen format in Dolby 2.0 surround sound, so the visual quality is on par with the deleted scenes included on the GENERATIONS and NEMESIS DVDs. Production sound is present, with some scenes not containing finished visual effects, though we do get an idea of how they would have played out in the final film. Among the scenes included are an extended comical discussion with Riker, Troi, and the ship's librarian (unfortunately, some stereotypes continue even into the 24th century), further romantic moments between Picard and Anij (Murphy), and the film's original final confrontation between Picard and Ru'afo. While having the deleted scenes on DVD is a bonus, it leads me to wonder why these scenes were never finished with visual effects. The STAR WARS prequels and THE ABYSS have additional deleted scenes completed and presented on their DVDs, so given the time and ability it takes to present these additional scenes on a TREK DVD, whether film or television, the visual effects could certainly be completed. For that matter, the scenes could be presented in a similar pristine quality to that of the feature film. It's certainly deserving of such treatment, in my opinion.

However, content-wise, it becomes apparent that all of these added moments would have bogged the film down needlessly for time constraints and for story purposes. It's evident that these scenes were wisely trimmed from the film, and had the original ending been utilized for the final film, it's pretty apparent that INSURRECTION would have had a weaker box-office performance.

As with the FIRST CONTACT DVD, Paramount has included some additional Easter egg features on this new disc. The first one (2:02) features Marina Sirtis talking about the catering on the film set. The second one (2:18) features musician Tom Morello of the band Rage Against the Machine, as he discusses his cameo as a Son'a. The third and final one (1:58) features Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn in full make-up ad-libbing about the plot of the film. All of these Easter eggs can be found on the DVD's second disc.

I'm somewhat disappointed with some of the presentation of the supplemental material for this latest TREK DVD offering. For one thing, there's no audio commentary included on the set, and that's a first, not counting the previous single-disc releases of many of the other TREK films. Even the single-disc version of NEMESIS had an audio commentary on it. I guess people were really disappointed with how this film fared at the box office and decided, "Why should we listen for an hour and 40 minutes to hear Jonathan Frakes gloat about the film? Where's the real meat behind this story?" Which explains why we have the DIRECTOR'S NOTEBOOK feature. At the least we should have heard from Michael Piller about the problems with INSURRECTION; his comments and candor by this time would have certainly been welcomed.

Another concern is the fact that only seven deleted scenes were included for this DVD. There's a bit more out there that remains to be seen, among them an extended version of the final coda that featured DS9's Armin Shimerman in a cameo as Quark. Still photographs from the sequence were released proving that the cameo had been filmed, so why was it not included on the DVD for completion's sake? At least it would have been interesting to see, as Shimerman is a great comic actor.

And as with previous TREK films on DVD, the film's television spots and behind-the-scenes interstitials have been omitted from the DVD, and there are at least nine or ten different spots that were created for the film that I can account for. This could have easily been included on the disc for completists' sake.

Final Thoughts:

It's not surprising that STAR TREK: INSURRECTION fared like it did at the box office, and given the film's very weak storyline, one can see why. With this new 2-disc release, you can once again easily discard the previous release and upgrade for the added new features, if you wish. However, deleted scenes alone can't drive the demand for an upgraded DVD. There's got to be lots more meat to it, and really substantial meat. The bonus featurettes are a step up this time around in terms of content, which is also nice. Overall, this one's really for the completists out there.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't wish this movie upon even my worst enemies.

Really, this is the definition of cinematic abortion....

ghostface

I need to pick this one up for the collection.

Insurrection was the beginning of the end for the TNG crew. Its just didnt live up to expectations, especially after the great First Contact and its box office success. I knew after watching it that TNG was never going to be the same again. Sad.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
When I saw Insurrection back in 1998, yeah I was disappointed with it. It felt like a big budget TV episode since it had a light-hearted feel and tone to it like the TV series.

But, after watching it again and listening to the explanation Michael Piller and Jonathan Frakes gave on the script of Insurrection (from Disc 2's Production section), I appreciate Insurrection for what the story and intentions it ultimately conveyed. Going from a dark and action-oriented film from First Contact to a more moral and ethical story given in Insurrection was fresh.....it goes back to what the basis of Star Trek represents.

Now, Star Trek: Nemesis on the other hand was just.......ugh.

MC Safety

Tortfeasor said:
Maybe the alternative ending fixes some stuff... Any ideas what happens?

I think everybody on the Enterprise suddenly begins apologizing profusely, then the credits roll.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Isn't the alternate ending where Data dies? I remember when this came out there was word that they were thinking of Killing Data in this one.

Dead

well not really...yet
Warm Machine said:
How many movies have you seen? Just be glad it isn't Nemesis!
A lot.

Insurection is way worse than Nemesis. Waaaaaay worse. But then again when talking of various degrees of awfulness, it hardly matters anyway. Trash is trash.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Tortfeasor said:
Maybe the alternative ending fixes some stuff... Any ideas what happens?

The alternate ending is basically Ru'afo flying into the metaphasic rings in the Injector.....and you see him reverse-age and get young. This ending was sorta sympathetic and didnt' go well with test-audiences....which was why they reshot the ending and went all gung-ho with Ru'afo dying in the Collector.

Dead said:
Insurection is way worse than Nemesis. Waaaaaay worse. But then again when talking of various degrees of awfulness, it hardly matters anyway. Trash is trash.

Nemesis sucked since it played down to fans and made you feel like an idiot. At least Insurrection had heart and messages to make you think about humanity's issues. :)

Willco

Hollywood Square
I've been fortunate enough to never have seen Insurrection or Nemesis. Ever. First Contact was the last Star Trek film I've seen and it'll likely stay that way.

The only Star Trek films that are pretty good are Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country and First Contact. The rest are either bad or forgettable.

Willco said:
I've been fortunate enough to never have seen Insurrection or Nemesis. Ever. First Contact was the last Star Trek film I've seen and it'll likely stay that way.

The only Star Trek films that are pretty good are Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country and First Contact. The rest are either bad or forgettable.

Now to be fair, any Star Trek movie where Kirk dies not once but TWICE ... and STAYS DEAD isn't a complete bomb.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
Willco said:

Search For Spock is pretty good
I get really freakin tired of Voyage Home

NUCLEAR WESSELS!!!!!!

Ash Housewares said:
Search For Spock is pretty good
I get really freakin tired of Voyage Home

NUCLEAR WESSELS!!!!!!

If you really think about the fact that Checkov (sp?) is Russian, the "wessels" as supposed to vessels made no sense at all.

I hated Insurrection, it was the worst of the Next Gen films (and I easily rank it below Star Trek V, but truth be told, I don't hate that one as much as some seem to, maybe because it set so much up for Next Gen Trek). So much of the scripting was inane retreading of ideas settled by the second or third season of the series, really. That whole bit with Data about "playing" and cutely popping out of the haystack at the end, just wanted to smack them. Riker and Troi hottubbing (I think this film was the big push against the previously established idea that, no, they can't really be together the way they used to. Now Riker's slinking around in a tub with her and marries her in the next movie.)... and didn't he also shave his beard? It was like Jonathan Frakes said, "OK, my beard bothers me and Riker hasn't had action in a while. FIX TIME!"

And it sounds like the alternate ending would be better. That really, really bothered me...
No attempt is made on-screen to try to save Ru'afo. They just left him to die on the exploding station, all they talked about was beaming up Picard. They NEVER left people to die just because they were the "bad guy," and he wouldn't have been much of a threat once he was beamed up (weapons taken away, even a force-field around him if needed). That really, really burned me.

I thought Nemesis was a lot better, although a little too short (they didn't seem to get enough done), and of course,
B4 was such a worthless ideas and cheap cop-out. And how would B4 be identical to Data if Soong didn't figure out the emotion chip until well after B4 would've been scrapped? Et cetera, et cetera.

I know I got all geeky, but Insurrection bothers me, a lot.

ToxicAdam said:
I never bothered with Insurrection, but I thought Nemesis was pretty good. Am I batshit insane?

Yes. Yes you are.

It's sad to see how far the Star Trek franchise has fallen, and Insurrection was nearly the last nail in the coffin. But, then they came up with Nemisis, which hammered several new nails.

Prospero

As bad as Insurrection was, at least it made a feeble gesture toward continuity with the rest of the TNG films and TV episodes. Nemesis threw continuity out the window altogether, though. It was pretty clear that the only prior experience that the screenwriter had with Trek was watching Wrath of Khan and maybe a couple of first- or second-season episodes of TNG, because that's where all the major plot points were lifted from.

Insurrection just bored me, but when I walked out of Nemesis I actually felt insulted.

BojTrek

Banned
Insurrection is/was terrible, they made Data a damn retard... and a Michael Jackson wanna-be playing with that kid.

The first movie should have been Kirk and Picard versus the Borg... they should have combined Generations and First Contact into something than what they were...

Imagine Picard and Kirk fighting the Borg for a while and one or the other gets captured by the Borg... now one Captain must fight a Borg-ified legend Captain...

God I should write this shit up...

teiresias

It certainly doesn't help this movie that I agree with bad guys in this one, so far as the rationale for removing them for the good of the rest of the universe (not so much the revenge angle obviously).

Sapiens

BojTrek said:
Insurrection is/was terrible, they made Data a damn retard... and a Michael Jackson wanna-be playing with that kid.

The first movie should have been Kirk and Picard versus the Borg... they should have combined Generations and First Contact into something than what they were...

Imagine Picard and Kirk fighting the Borg for a while and one or the other gets captured by the Borg... now one Captain must fight a Borg-ified legend Captain...

God I should write this shit up...

Borg, borg, borg, bor, brog, bgro...blah.

Sick of the borg. St Voyager sucked so much by itself that they needed to wear the borg the fuck out to get more than 3 viewers.

The Borg: Diminishing returns.

gblues

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
If you really think about the fact that Checkov (sp?) is Russian, the "wessels" as supposed to vessels made no sense at all.

The joke is kind of a cultural joke:

1) A Russian
2) in 1988 United States (think Cold War)
3) Asking for the location of nuclear vessels

Nathan

LakeEarth

"When we woke up, we had these bodies."
"Say it Russian!"
"(sigh)... Ven ve voke up, ve had these wodies!"
"EEEE, now say nuclear wessels!"
"NO"

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
themadcowtipper said:
Even at that price with all the extras, the movie still sucks, it could be the worse Star Trek Movie ever...

Nah, that honor still goes to Star Trek V. C'mon.....Kirk vs. God. Nuff' said. :p

there hasnt been a good trek movie since first contact.

Hell first contact and wrath of khan are the ONLY good trek movies.

Prospero

Kumiko Nikaido said:
Nah, that honor still goes to Star Trek V. C'mon.....Kirk vs. God. Nuff' said. :p

Not to mention fatass Spock, the implied Scotty/Uhura romance that was promptly forgotten about in the next film, and Uhura doing the dance of the seven veils. And the terrible visual effects. And Shatner's hack directing. And Kirk, Spock and McCoy singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."

Geez--I've only seen that film twice (once in the theater, once on video), but once you've seen it you can't unsee it.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
This DVD would have to have a "Hoshi From Enterprise Butt-Naked Gone TEH WILD" extra for me to even consider it. Otherwise, there's basically no reason no go near this.

Enterprise_Park_2003-02-800.jpg

Awwwww yeah.

Boogie

gblues said:
The joke is kind of a cultural joke:

1) A Russian
2) in 1988 United States (think Cold War)
3) Asking for the location of nuclear vessels

Nathan

Uh yeah, but it doesn't make sense because Russians don't pronounce v's as w's. In fact, it's the other way around :p

Russians have no letter for "w". They don't have ANY problems pronouncing v's.

That's the first thing I noticed when I started learning Russian. I thought: "WTF, Wait a minute, Chekov's 'nuclear wessels' in The Voyage Home makes NO FUCKING SENSE"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom