• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Game Director Refused Another Delay

Draugoth

Gold Member

When Star Wars Jedi: Survivor launched on April 28, it was met with some backlash over its performance on PC. From frame rate drops to stuttering and more, many with even the most powerful machines saw problems. It lead to questions about why the game wasn’t pushed back to sort out those issues. If you look back, however, there was an opportunity to delay the game further, one that Star Wars Jedi: Survivor game director Stig Asmussen refused.

In an interview with IGN back in March, Asmussen was asked how the team at Respawn Entertainment settled on the April 28 launch date after numerous delays, including one from March 17, 2023. He told the outlet that the team was asked how much time they needed, and they settled on six weeks.

“That was exactly April 28,” Asmussen said. “That’s no joke.”

Asmussen added that the team “stress-tested” the date. That included looking at other games releasing around the same time — Redfall and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom are two that immediately come to mind — and finding what Respawn and EA believed to be a good spot to fit in.

“There was an option of do we want to extend it a little bit longer, but no we said no we can get it done in six weeks,” he said.

Have PC Issues Hampered Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Sales?​

Despite the issues at launch, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor still became the second-biggest Star Wars launch on Steam. It showed that the team still had a game players wanted to enjoy, and were willing to look past issues with the hope of fixes from Respawn.

That said, Respawn has made it known that the issues for PC players are actively being addressed.

“While there is no single, comprehensive solution for PC performance, the team has been working on fixes we believe will improve performance across a spectrum of configurations,” the company said in a statement on launch day. “We are committed to fixing these issues as soon as possible, but each patch requires significant testing to ensure we don’t introduce new problems.”

MiguelItUp

But EA sucks i heard? Everyone blaming EA for this when no one knows what really went wrong here
Honestly, it can go both ways in any and every situation. The reality is, no one really knows other than the studio, and you can't really pinpoint it from outside of it either. But when it comes to release dates, the faults typically fall on the publisher's wants and demands.

Even if the game director at Respawn said this, EA as the publisher, still has say. However, in this situation they could've trusted his judgement and just rolled with it. Regardless, this should be a large learning lesson for them, hopefully it is. Them being Respawn, I don't think EA gives a damn, lmao.

Sounds like they had no issue with launching next to Redfall, but figured they would get swamped by TOTK a la Horizon. Probably a smart move.
Honestly, this is why I figured they did it in the first place. The game released in April, not in May. They probably didn't want to touch May because of Zelda and other potential "big" releases.

Last edited:

Nydius

But EA sucks i heard? Everyone blaming EA for this when no one knows what really went wrong here
Same song and dance with Anthem years ago. Everyone was quick to blame EA but the investigative post-mortems clearly illustrated the fault was on BioWare’s shoulders.

Fbh

“There was an option of do we want to extend it a little bit longer, but no we said no we can get it done in six weeks,” he said.

fetchimage

HTK

Banned
OverHeat OverHeat I'm literally laughing my ass off right now, oh man that was too much. Thank you for that. I know you paid more for that shit too.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

I don't blame EA. EA has been good for some time now in their output and attitude. I want to pin it on devs and not just on this case but on many cases. In recent years due to so call game journalism and activism we have lazyass taletless devs with scoping issues, then there are dumb decisions like not including fsr, dlss or xess on titles for short change money.

Dural

Should have delayed PC and focused on the console versions. I know a lot of PC gamers wouldn't want to hear that, but what option is better; launch at same time as consoles with lots of issues and hope for fixes or wait a couple months for it to be released in a proper state?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
The release date is ultimately the publisher's decision. Same as Sony did with TLOU Remake, and Microsoft with Redfall, they made the decision to launch a shitty PC version. That's on them as much as it's on Respawn.

Luipadre

The release date is ultimately the publisher's decision. Same as Sony did with TLOU Remake, and Microsoft with Redfall, they made the decision to launch a shitty PC version. That's on them as much as it's on Respawn.

Yes but what if respawn told EA the game is ready?

Bragr

Banned
Not if EA told them they could delay it and they refused. That's 100% crooked fucking Repawn.

coffinbirth

How many years has it been since it was even remotely intelligent to play a AAA game at launch without expecting issues???

It's hard to have any sympathy for people that continually fail at this basic fact, let alone when they run to the internet to cry about it.

That being said, this game certainly should've stayed in the oven a bit longer, and I'm not quite sure I believe that Respawn were given many options here, despite what he said. Fixing the performance issues was probably always intended for post launch support and those six weeks was for fixing the save issues and/or any other major bugs. Delaying it to make it "perfect" basically never happens anymore, unless you're Nintendo. This isn't RedFall...which should've been delayed by at least a year.

Buy this in a few months when everything is ironed out and it's considerably cheaper...just like nearly everything else.

Top Bottom