• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 3 may be a live service title

clarky

Gold Member
I'm currently playing through Days Gone but SOD II in my opinion is simply a much better game because it has base/community building and survival/ressource management and that loop is awesome. DG is a story focused game, kinda like the Heartland expansion brought to SODII with some survival elements in it but it's focus lies more on the story progression. Days gone is a nice game for what it is but when you're done with the story there isn't much of a game left, while I immersed myself completely in SODII for hundreds and hundreds of hours because the game mechanic never ends - there's always something to do and it's GaaS truly done the right way so there's something to be excited about because the devs keep updating the game/world.

Thought as much. Bit of an odd comparison there from that other user.

The group/resource management loop of SOD2 was great. I put in a fair few hours myself.

Cracking game with great support, doesn't get the credit it desveres imo.

GymWolf

Not in its current state imo. SOD2 best the first in every way now. Although i will admit its been a while since i played the first one.

Is Days Gone similar to SOD? I thought that was more of a story driven game. Might have to give it a whirl on steam if its a survival/resource management type deal.
They are nothing alike expect being games with zombies.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Draugoth Draugoth State of Decay 3 is not just a GAAS, but its a full persistent online zombie game that Undead Labs promised when they made the studio. Also called Class4.
Class4 will do a lot more than just add online support to Class3. It’s best to think of it as a sequel. Class3 is our smaller scale, open-world XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) game that will allow 1-2 people to play together online though Xbox Live or together on the same screen. This game will come out first. Class4 is our large scale, full online world game that will allow thousands of players to run around simultaneously in a much larger server-hosted world. It will have more weapons, vehicles and zombie types. In addition to vastly greater scope, Class4 will revise and expand any number of game systems like weather, vehicle customization, player-to-player trade, and technology research. It will have types of content specifically designed for having a vast number of players online at the same time. This game will come out after Class3.
State of Decay 2 is like an intermediary title between Class3 (State of Decay 1) and the originally promised Class4 (State of Decay 3). It was only made by 30 people. Undead Labs was formed by former ArenaNet devs. Infact when NCSoft targetted ArenaNet with layoffs, Undead Labs absorbed many ArenaNet employees.
It has since grown to almost 200.
Of course it is. It's multiplayer game published by Microsoft. It being a live service game is given nowadays.
A studio founded by former ArenaNet employees who promised a zombie online when they formed the studio. Its all Microsoft's fault.
I can’t find anything saying it was 🤨 it had DLC and multiplayer, but how was it GAAS?
It was promised before State of Decay release.
People jumping to conclusions without trying to look up the franchise and studio.
cruise.png
Expect this more lol, one and done single player games don't lend themselves to sub numbers. Sony will never day 1 big games for that reason alone
just cancel it now and get it over with
But think of the engagement!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
People jumping to conclusions without trying to look up the franchise and studio.

lol....I didn't state a "conclusion" at all. I was disappointed because I was hoping the game would go in a different direction.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People so desperate to make anti MS threads without evening knowing what the hell they are moaning about.

A sequel to a GaaS game... is a GaaS game!

I honestly think there's stronger tribalism in the direction of GAAS v traditional games. That's a much bigger divide online.

Next outrage headline is going to be "Fortnite Chapter 6 rumored to be Live Service based on Epic job listings".

This and Perfect Dark are the only two remaining IP's where CGI reveals haven't had a gameplay/real-time/in-engine demo yet, right?

We got Avowed, Hellblade II and Fable off the list in the last showcase.

Hopefully they start showing what they've been cooking, soon. Seems ambitious, compared to SoD2.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Big fan of this franchise and all good with the GaaS. Looking forward to the next installation. Hoping for cities in the next one.

I dunno. Same studio keeping it going. I really liked the first 2 and would absolutely play through the 2nd one again if someone in my circle was feeling squirrely. I'll let release come before I pass judgement. GAAS inherently in principal aren't bad, it's just that most of them aren't priced fairly for the content on offer.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Draugoth Draugoth State of Decay 3 is not just a GAAS, but its a full persistent online zombie game that Undead Labs promised when they made the studio. Also called Class4.

State of Decay 2 is like an intermediary title between Class3 (State of Decay 1) and the originally promised Class4 (State of Decay 3). It was only made by 30 people. Undead Labs was formed by former ArenaNet devs. Infact when NCSoft targetted ArenaNet with layoffs, Undead Labs absorbed many ArenaNet employees.
It has since grown to almost 200.

A studio founded by former ArenaNet employees who promised a zombie online when they formed the studio. Its all Microsoft's fault.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited:

tmlDan

I'm confused what is bad about it being a GaaS. You must not like SoD2.
what was GaaS about SoD2? did it have a battle pass? Not that i recall.

They've had openly known dev trouble, now GaaS, It always had technical issues as well. Making the game more complex with features nobody wants doesn't bode well for them.

Gambit2483

Of course it is. Starting with Forza Motorsport, I expect 70% (or more) of Xbox 1st party Gamepass games to have at least some GaaS elements. Don't act surprised. They have to keep up income and engagement somehow.

Roberts

Played both SoD games, even though it is not exactly my cup of tea. Second one (especially after the updates) is miles more fun and interesting than the first and judging by a longer development time, bigger studio, bigger ambitions and more experience, this has every chance of improving and perfecting on gameplay they are striving for.

clarky

Gold Member
Every bit of news coming out for this game is bad, i really like state of decay but my hope is dwindling.

Another dude who clearly didnt play SOD2.

This is basic trolling 101 fella's: Know your subject before said troll attempt.

clarky

Gold Member
Should just stick to co op. They're setting themselves up for failure trying to make an MMO.

Personally i think it will be more like instances of a few players and their outposts in the same game world/map Not an MMO with hundreds of players at once.
Thats my ideal version of the game in my head. A large open world, when you load it up it matchmakes you and your outpost of survivors ( which you keep building over multiple sessions) Into the same space battling for or teaming up for resources.

100% agrree though a straight up full blown MMO smells like a disaster of zombie Holocaust proportions.

This is of course all pulled straight out of my ass. Eager to see what the dev's actually have.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Of course it is. Starting with Forza Motorsport, I expect 70% (or more) of Xbox 1st party Gamepass games to have at least some GaaS elements. Don't act surprised. They have to keep up income and engagement somehow.
Yeah and if MS didn't buy them, they would have gone back on their promise of a persistent online game and turned it into a single player game.
Truly a lot of uninformed people in this thread it’s insane 😂😂 besides all the concern trolling can’t wait for the third one
"I called you a console warrior and accused you of working for Microsoft even though I am the one suspiciously concern trolling 24/7 about platforms I don't own. Now everything I make up is a fact and everyone who opposes me is paid to do so."

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Personally i think it will be more like instances of a few players and their outposts in the same game world/map Not an MMO with hundreds of players at once.
Thats my ideal version of the game in my head. A large open world, when you load it up it matchmakes you and your outpost of survivors ( which you keep building over multiple sessions) Into the same space battling for or teaming up for resources.

100% agrree though a straight up full blown MMO smells like a disaster of zombie Holocaust proportions.

This is of course all pulled straight out of my ass. Eager to see what the dev's actually have.
Maybe there is some kind of shared world solution that can figure out.

State of Decay is a great game overall. I really like the way it functions. People that haven't played the series should give it a shot and stop thinking that all Microsoft games are the devil.
And xbox fans should drop the sentiment that people who don't play many games published by microsoft are avoiding those games because they have some agenda or grudge.
Not all games appeal to everyone.

Alan Wake

Cool. So just driveby uninformed hot takes on games you have no interest in.
Are you hurt?

The reveal trailer was cool, but that was a long time ago and we haven't heard much since. Or at all. That's why I checked this thread, being a Game Pass subscriber new games are always welcome.

Last edited:

GinSama

A lot of people that are complaining clearly never played any state of decay....2 have great foundations and every week I go and check how is my community there ....

They just need to expand the game, state 2 still has great updates .

DaGwaphics

A persistent world for this type of game might be a great fit if they can make it work well enough. The world would need to be absolutely huge as well (or they would need to run multiple instances and players get assigned to one), because a world overrun with survivors doesn't exactly fit the premise of the game.

Top Bottom