• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade director explains game’s 0.5 second “lag” when doing perfect parries or dodging [day 1 patch fixes the input lag]

Yes this was only some artificial lag. But the game itself (like the camera) is super responsive, even at 30fps actually.

Very happy about CA and grain filter toggles. But this should be by default in all games, why do they think everybody like those effects?

bender

What time is it?
No wonder I was having so much difficulty in the demo!

7BnusUo.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You probably just weren't reacting to your character animation then. Theoretically, if you just watch the monster and parry on time the input works. But if you view controls as manipulating the character on screen and seeing the response it can feel sluggish.
Isn't that you alway do with any game with parry? In every game you have to watch enemy/boss's animation and you time it based on that. especially the fact each enemy have different timing with their attacks based on the animation.

Personally when I played the demo I didn't notice any "lag" until I heard it here.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Regarding the update: that's good, the idea of them introducing artificial input lag as some kind of combat design choice sounded bizarre and shitty to me (I did not play the demo).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Isn't that you alway do with any game with parry? In every game you have to watch enemy/boss's animation and you time it based on that. especially the fact each enemy have different timing with their attacks based on the animation.

Personally I when i played I didn't notice any "lag" until I heard it here.
I think it's probably subconscious for most people without digital foundry gear. I got through the demo and in that thread posted "mobility feels sluggish." I didn't really pinpoint it to parries or attack animation speed, but I felt a general level of unresponsiveness I just didn't enjoy.

I think mobility will still feel sluggish honestly since you just don't have a very high walk speed when in combat. But I would like to try it again post-update. If parries and attacks feel snappier that might be nice. 🤷‍♂️ I don't know, I'm not as into Souls games as most people and this is going to be more of a hit for Sekiro fans.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's pretty nuts how quick they're able to remedy this stuff. Kind of incredible. It's clear they really love their work and want to put out the best product possible for the people.

And it's sad that something like that is now such a rarity. I dont even remember the last time a developer was so on the ball with lightning quick fixes like this.

Last edited:
Regarding the update: that's good, the idea of them introducing artificial input lag as some kind of combat design choice sounded bizarre and shitty to me (I did not play the demo).
I didn't notice any problem about that artificial lag and was only aware of it because of Internet. It reminded me how souls game played. But the controls themselves are actually very responsive.

Crayon

This is what I've been saying about the parry timing since the demo dropped. It's startup frames, not "lag". I think I guessed it at 20 startup frames which was fairly close. Usually games have practically none. Just compare to the perfect dodge timing, which is more like... every other game ever... and you can see it's not lag.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So long as the dodge and parry work as expected it isn't an issue for me, in fact, parry in this game seems much easier than many games (especially souls games)
The way parry works in Darks Souls is you are not perfect blocking, you are interrupting enemy's swing which makes timing little tricky

Also in perfect block even if you miss the timing you still block the attack but in Dark Souls or Elden Ring if you miss the parry you loose good chunk of health which makes it much more risky.

Last edited:

Soodanim

The lag would make sense if there is animation transition during parry. It shouldn't be hard to adjust parry timing.

Like this person did perfectly.

A couple minutes in and I get what ACG meant in his review about the shouts by the MC being the same every time. It's grating to listen to and I can't filter it out now I'm aware of it.

midnightAI

The way parry works in Darks Souls is you are not perfect blocking, you are interrupting enemy's swing which makes timing little tricky

Also in perfect block even if you miss the timing you still block the attack but in Dark Souls or Elden Ring if you miss the parry you loose good chunk of health which makes it much more risky.
Oh I agree, I don't have a problem with blocking in souls games, just saying SB is easier, larger window to get it right.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh dude that’s awesome that they’re patching the input lag. That was the primary reason why I wasn’t going to buy the game (that and having no freaking free time anymore 😩).

Hopefully the demo gets patched too.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sound a bit like Dark Souls.

Clarification: The combat sounds similarily animation based to have weight in it. Not hack & slash but more methodical and requires more consideration in its actions.

Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom