• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange Claim made by EB worker

KarishBHR

This guy who was completley whoring himself to customers was trying to make me preorder Halo 2 (which I have done, just at Gamestop)... he said that if I didnt get it at teh 1st shipment then Id have to wait till the end of march because Halo 2's next shipment will be then. He said MS is doing this so they can keep the Xbox Live servers stable. Do you think there is truth to this claim?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
We will likely have 30 to 40 extra copies, but if your not there on launch day, and you did not reserve it, you may have to wait a week.

Beacuse of xbox live servers? Likely story

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The EB rep is telling the truth. You better buy at EB now or you won't be playing Halo anything until it comes out on the DS.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Speaking of which. . .

I remember I was in there the other day and overheard a EB guy tell someone that MGS2 had won GOTY when it came out. I know that the AIAS didn't give it GOTY, so I was wondering if any major publication actually did. Wouldn't surprise me if he was lying, though.

AirBrian

He's telling the truth. Also, when I bought Pikmin a couple months ago, the EB employee asked me "Pikmin 1 or Pikmin 2? 'Cuz we're sold out of Pikmin 2." Lucky EB getting the game months before everyone else!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The EB employee was definitely wrong. It's Actually that if you don't pre-order in the next 30 seconds, you can't get Halo 2 until November 2005. Sorry. :(

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
If you don't get the extended warranty, your Xbox will emit toxic levels of carbon monoxide and your family will die.

3rdman

Speaking about EB...When I was there buying Riddick, the salesman without blinking an eye grabs an open copy off the shelf (you know, the ones with all the stickers on them that say "New Release" and "Trade in 3 and Get 1 Free") and proceeds to charge me full price!

Now, since I was buying the game the day it was released I know that it was unused, but who in their right mind is gonna pay 50 bucks for an open case covered in stickers? The real pisser was that he charged me BEFORE showing me the lovely packaging. He didn't look too happy when I got my money back.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Lesson learned: If a customer rep is giving you priviledged shipping information about a game he wishes you to buy, IT ISN'T TRUE.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
3rdman said:
Speaking about EB...When I was there buying Riddick, the salesman without blinking an eye grabs an open copy off the shelf (you know, the ones with all the stickers on them that say "New Release" and "Trade in 3 and Get 1 Free") and proceeds to charge me full price!

Now, since I was buying the game the day it was released I know that it was unused, but who in their right mind is gonna pay 50 bucks for an open case covered in stickers? The real pisser was that he charged me BEFORE showing me the lovely packaging. He didn't look too happy when I got my money back.

It's funny when they look at you like you're crazy after you demand your money back

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I don't believe this.

Since all preorders are going to be sold as a given (like geez, there's already over 1 million preorders) why would Microsoft have a massive marketing campaign to all these casuals? So they can walk in a gamestore and have people tell them "not for 2 more weeks?"

Plus since Live games are p2p instead of server.... THIS MAKES NO BLOODY SENSE! argh!

Jumpman Jr. said:
Better pre-order two copies at EB, just to be safe.

I did ;)

BuddyC

BuddyChrist83 said:
gimme store location and phone #. I wanna pester.

there's no way i'd buy a new game covered in stickers if it'd readily available elsewhere for the same price.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Hellraizah said:
Trois-Rivères, Québec, Canada
(819)376-1667
:)

Random Person: HEY YOU FUCKING IDIOT HALO 2 IS GOING TO BE AVAILABLE ELSEWHERE! I AM BILL GATES AND IF I WANT TO MAKE HALO 2 I WILL!
(819)376-1667: Please sir! You are the 50th person to call us! We are simply a suicide helpline!

BuddyC

Hellraizah said:
Trois-Rivères, Québec, Canada
(819)376-1667
:)

I kinda wanted to hear it from Karish though, I'm having a bad day so chewing someone out sounded fun. Anything this EB does wrong?

xsarien

daedsiluap
OMG TEH INISDE SOURCeS!@!@!~!~~~!!!!!oneoneone

0727_salessuccess.jpg

Hellraizah

BuddyChrist83 said:
I kinda wanted to hear it from Karish though, I'm having a bad day so chewing someone out sounded fun. Anything this EB does wrong?
Well, not really, but, the manager's nickname is Curly, and he looks like a cross between a teddybear and the psycho guy in that Identity movie, so it's reason enough to call him and ask for "Curly".

What a bastard. If someone asks about a game and doesn't want to pre-order it, I just tell them what time of the day shipments come in so they won't miss out. After hearing this, they usually get the pre-order since I don't come off like a dick trying to sell them on something.

Soul4ger

There's a big push right now to get pre-orders, for ANY game. So, yeah, I'm not surprised a person would lie to you to try and get it. We've been suggesting games to people, but no one in my store has pressured anyone at all.

Brofist

Strange claim, more like BS. I worked at EB for a while..that's the drill. Convince people that if they don't preorder, they have to wait like a month for the next shipment.

Fuck EB and GS. I'll just stroll into my local Fry's and take an LE copy off the humongous mountain of a pile I'm sure they're going to have on launch day and it'll probably be on sale for $10-$15 cheaper.

Top Bottom