• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRANGER OF SWORD CITY |OT| - "We're going to need another Timmy"

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm starting the game up tonight ... any recommendations?

Usually easiest to go with the standard party you will most def at least need 1 knight, wizard and cleric.

Knight will be for the defensive skills that open up later, wizard and cleric for their anti spirit / anti undead weapon enchantments which you need to deal damage to spirit and undead types with regular weapons. Without that the damage resisted is quite high.

Later you will be able to find weapons with the anti enchantment already on them.

Beware though the wiz and cle enchantments only last for the current battle and cost mp to cast.

Also take your time and expect to go in and out of the dungeon a lot to identify items found at ambush points.

Be sure to check enemy levels before fighting and never be afraid to use the 100% escape divinity if things do not look in your favor. Also dont push too far if you gathered a ton of loot as instakills or bad luck in battle can happen causing the desire to save scum which will cause a good loss of time and items gained so better be safe go back to town and save.

Rushing through this game is not advised as 1 hit kill capable enemies the larger the lv gap the higher the chance of it proccing on you is.

Be sure to create your extra backup party members in advance too as they will gain small amounts of exp and money while you explore.

I've been holding out for ages on getting this for Vita, because of the talk about the updated version. Has there been any confirmation one way or another about whether it's coming westwards?

Parakeetman

I've been holding out for ages on getting this for Vita, because of the talk about the updated version. Has there been any confirmation one way or another about whether it's coming westwards?

Dont think so

Since its the Vita version would imagine NISA would have to do it. But seeing how they have the original to sell hard to say.

As the game cant be patched either for physical copies and digital is just overwriting the data dont think they can go an upgrade route either.

The updated version was made from feedback from the fans in Japan and does not seem like they were planning on releasing it westwards as thats what we all have now (stranger of sword city).

With NISA seeing how they have god wars, demon gaze 2, coven and labyrinth of rufrain and other titles, even if they were to do it god knows how long off it would be. D:

Dont think so

Since its the Vita version would imagine NISA would have to do it. But seeing how they have the original to sell hard to say.

As the game cant be patched either for physical copies and digital is just overwriting the data dont think they can go an upgrade route either.

The updated version was made from feedback from the fans in Japan and does not seem like they were planning on releasing it westwards as thats what we all have now (stranger of sword city).

With NISA seeing how they have god wars, demon gaze 2, coven and labyrinth of rufrain and other titles, even if they were to do it god knows how long off it would be. D:
Thanks, guess I'll pick this up now then.

BOTEC

I just started this game up last night. I love the look (with Good Art turned on), and the setting and plot are intriguing, but some of the mechanics seem really dumb.

I just had a dude die because he ran out of Life Points, so to get a new guy in my party I have to go through the whole character creator? There is no tavern where I can recruit a random? I don't give a damn about these mute pawns, I don't want to spend time thinking up a name and stats for them.

Also, it's pretty funny having everybody telling me how great and heroic I am when my guy has died in every single important story encounter and the rest of my team had to mop it up. Leveling in this game is like pulling teeth.

Maybe I should restart on easy so I can get through the story.

Saphirax

I just started this game up last night. I love the look (with Good Art turned on), and the setting and plot are intriguing, but some of the mechanics seem really dumb.

I just had a dude die because he ran out of Life Points, so to get a new guy in my party I have to go through the whole character creator? There is no tavern where I can recruit a random? I don't give a damn about these mute pawns, I don't want to spend time thinking up a name and stats for them.

Also, it's pretty funny having everybody telling me how great and heroic I am when my guy has died in every single important story encounter and the rest of my team had to mop it up. Leveling in this game is like pulling teeth.

Maybe I should restart on easy so I can get through the story.

SoSC is a drpg. The whole point in most of Exp inc drpgs is to create your own party. The story is really a minor part of the game and putting the difficulty on easy won't help you as much as it would in other games. And if you ignore the stats, you won't get very far in the game either.

Parakeetman

Is this a better game to play on the Vita or the PC?

Since you can put it into suspend mode on the Vita its good for pick up and play where on the PC you will need to head back to the main guild to save every time. As the game does not have magic and very limited amount of items for exiting the dungeon you generally need to march yourself right back out the way you came in. Unless you are lucky and find a butterfly nest which can also teleport you out.

In short if you know you will not be spending long periods of time behind a PC would suggest going the handheld route due to suspend.

Parakeetman

Thanks Parakeetman. Are there any differences between the two versions?

I think the steam version that NISA used is the same as the Vita one. In Japan we had both White and Black. One being the Vita version the other being the Xbox / PC version. Dont think they used the JP PC version since that one would be similar to the version used on the Xbox One.

The only real major difference is some of the bosses are different graphically, but their stats and types of attacks they do are generally the same. For the narrative its the same. Think the last dungeon was different also or something. Dont remember if there was anything significant with that as its been quite a long time.

So nothing to really worry about with the Western release I think.

After spending a month ploughing through Phantasy Star II, my grind-muscles were built way up so I decided to jump back into this game. Appreciating it a LOT more now, after coming off a much more mechanically simple game in PStar. This is a really great podcast/sports watching game.

Having a lot of success with this current party setup:

Front:

Knight
Samurai
Cleric

Back:

Ranger
Ninja
Wizard

I was rolling with 2 knights, or knight + fighter, but having the ninja in the back row instead is shockingly effective. What attribute influences hit %? AGI? Having my cleric up front lets her attack with her main, but she seems to miss a TON.

Parakeetman

After spending a month ploughing through Phantasy Star II, my grind-muscles were built way up so I decided to jump back into this game. Appreciating it a LOT more now, after coming off a much more mechanically simple game in PStar. This is a really great podcast/sports watching game.

Having a lot of success with this current party setup:

Front:

Knight
Samurai
Cleric

Back:

Ranger
Ninja
Wizard

I was rolling with 2 knights, or knight + fighter, but having the ninja in the back row instead is shockingly effective. What attribute influences hit %? AGI? Having my cleric up front lets her attack with her main, but she seems to miss a TON.

Yeah AGI I think affects accuracy. Also effects the off hand damage for characters who dual wield.
The Samurai's Carnage skill damage is also effected by AGI.
Ninja's Hide ability is affected by AGI and LUC

Top Bottom