• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stunt Racer for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is complete trash

Cutty Flam

Banned
Gamers in 2020 trying to play this game:

tenor.gif

I love oldschool games, but ffs, why are the graphics worse than Atari

The game was alright for it's time. I stopped playing early on though. Framerate wasn't something we thought about back then. I just got bored. I ended up trading the game with a friend for Uniracers. I played Uniracers more than Stunt Race FX.

nkarafo

Sega's SVP chip inside Virtua Racing was far more capable than FX or FX2. Making the game a bit more detailed and much more bearable. But also more expensive.

I don't know about Stunt Race FX but i know that in Starfox, the frame rate is tied to the game speed. So if you try to overclock the chip using emulation, the game also runs at a faster game speed, like in fast forward, though you can't tell because the music/sound isn't affected. But you do reach the end of the levels much faster, before the music has the time to loop once. I remember this was an issue in older SNES emulators that couldn't run the game at the correct speed. It was much faster than it should be.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Sega's SVP chip inside Virtua Racing was far more capable than FX or FX2. Making the game a bit more detailed and much more bearable. But also more expensive.

I don't know about Stunt Race FX but i know that in Starfox, the frame rate is tied to the game speed. So if you try to overclock the chip using emulation, the game also runs at a faster game speed, like in fast forward, though you can't tell because the music/sound isn't affected. But you do reach the end of the levels much faster, before the music has the time to loop once. I remember this was an issue in older SNES emulators that couldn't run the game at the correct speed. It was much faster than it should be.
It's because how SNES worked. SNES nominal clock was 21mhz, but since every operation required 6 clock cycles, actual speed was 21/6=3.58mhz, sometimes even lower if operations required more cycles. Custom chips were made to reduce CPU workload, SuperFX was one of them but it only ran at 10mhz, half of the speed. Only with SFX2 they reach the full speed sync with the SNES CPU, but it was too late. Stunt Race with SFX2 would have been a much better game. SRFX was actually a pretty good game, but it was hurt by its atrocious framerate.

SVP was more powerful, it was capable to run 1000 polygons per scene / 15k per second. This are real numbers, not peak numbers, since someone was capable to extract models from the game some time ago.

RAIDEN1

It's because how SNES worked. SNES nominal clock was 21mhz, but since every operation required 6 clock cycles, actual speed was 21/6=3.58mhz, sometimes even lower if operations required more cycles. Custom chips were made to reduce CPU workload, SuperFX was one of them but it only ran at 10mhz, half of the speed. Only with SFX2 they reach the full speed sync with the SNES CPU, but it was too late. Stunt Race with SFX2 would have been a much better game. SRFX was actually a pretty good game, but it was hurt by its atrocious framerate.

SVP was more powerful, it was capable to run 1000 polygons per scene / 15k per second. This are real numbers, not peak numbers, since someone was capable to extract models from the game some time ago.
Yeah but even so goes to show how much faith Sega had in the SVP chip, that they thought the 32x was the better option to extend the life of their one hit wonder..

UnNamed

Banned
Yeah but even so goes to show how much faith Sega had in the SVP chip, that they thought the 32x was the better option to extend the life of their one hit wonder..
32X was a complicated situation. Was developed by SoA, but they weren't convinced.
IIRC, SoJ wanted a real Megadrive 2 to replace the 16bit consoles, SoA thought this move was commercial suicide, so instead of a complete machine, they developed an add one, they were probably already prepared to reduce any loss from this move. After many years, we could debate if releasing an add on was really a better move than a powerful Megadrive 2.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

32X was a complicated situation. Was developed by SoA, but they weren't convinced.
IIRC, SoJ wanted a real Megadrive 2 to replace the 16bit consoles, SoA thought this move was commercial suicide, so instead of a complete machine, they developed an add one, they were probably already prepare to reduce any loss from this move. After many years, we could debate if releasing an add on was really a better move than a powerful Megadrive 2.
Meanwhile in parallel to that for all intents and purposes the Saturn Project was moving along which logically was the Megadrive 2, only a lot more complicated to develop for, because the folks at Sega thought hey why not make it a challenge for these developers out there to make the most of this console, while the PS1 was a piece of cake....

UnNamed

Banned
Saturn was a mess
folks at Sega thought hey why not make it a challenge for these developers out there to make the most of this console, while the PS1 was a piece of cake....
Saturn was a mess because Sega lacked of a proper engineering labs, so every time they need a feature, es 2D or 3D, they just added a chip. That's the only reason why Saturn had two 2D chips, a DSP for 3D calculations, 2 CPU one for the logic and one for the main 3D objects, a chip for sound, and the most absurd thing, a proper full CPU only for the CD drive.

Sony was capable of engineering chips in house, so it was easy for them to create a more balanced and efficient chipset.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Sega was old school.

I doubt they had multiplatform, SDK documentations etc in mind. They operated like an old school gaming company, much like Nintendo did. Sony was the new kid and they didn't have many own studios to begin with, they HAD to court third parties and they did their homework on why other challengers failed so hard. They assisted developers, had better documentations and simply were an attractive choice for the PC development scene that grew significantly around that time. Nintendo and Sega essentially stayed in their bubble. Hell, Nintendo didn't even let go of cartridges.

I feel Sega and Nintendo never really wanted to move the industry forward. They created their own games, and third parties had to beg to make games for their system. Userbases didn't really grow if you look at the 8 bit and 16 bit gens. This practice worked out during the 80's and early 90's. Sega however did innovate more. They tried a color handheld, CD add on and other things that would eventually become the standard. And they did try to reach out to a slightly older audience than Nintendo. But in the end their most pushed system was supposed to be sort of traditional again, their experiments were all kind of half assed in terms of support and availability.

Honestly they were easy targets for a Sony, who simply advertised and catered to basically everyone out there. Saturn though, it was my console of choice for audio playback and I think it was sturdy as fuck. It never failed on me, and had no disc read errors like about every PS1 did. I'm also a huge fan of its aesthetics for some reason (the model 1 with oval buttons and 2 lights). Love it.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

No shit, the SNES wasn't meant to handle 3D polygons. It was done mostly as a proof of concept, to extend the life of the SNES and to show that the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis (even though it's 3D racer ran better).

It's why something like StarFox 2 is a game you admire for it's ambition. As a concept for full 3D gameplay, it works and you can understand how it inspired Mario 64. If that game did release back in 95, it would've been mind blowing and would've kept the SNES going maybe another two years, but the game runs like crap. Better than Stunt Race and StarFox 1, but still not good. It's playable, and again, admirable for it's ambition, and some of the mechanics of it's gameplay are good, but the SNES just can't run it.
Saved me from explaining everything so thanks. 👍

diffusionx

Gold Member
No shit, the SNES wasn't meant to handle 3D polygons. It was done mostly as a proof of concept, to extend the life of the SNES and to show that the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis (even though it's 3D racer ran better).

It's why something like StarFox 2 is a game you admire for it's ambition. As a concept for full 3D gameplay, it works and you can understand how it inspired Mario 64. If that game did release back in 95, it would've been mind blowing and would've kept the SNES going maybe another two years, but the game runs like crap. Better than Stunt Race and StarFox 1, but still not good. It's playable, and again, admirable for it's ambition, and some of the mechanics of it's gameplay are good, but the SNES just can't run it.

Nintendo didn’t release Star Fox2 because it would not have been mind blowing. In 1995 it would have been going up against games like Sega Rally, Warhawk, WipeOut, Panzer Dragoon, etc. The game looks and runs like shit compared to that stuff.

Last edited:

darthvargi

Nintendo didn’t release Star Fox2 because it would not have been mind blowing. In 1995 it would have been going up against games like Sega Rally, Warhawk, WipeOut, Panzer Dragoon, etc. The game looks and runs like shit compared to that stuff.
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is accurate. I've seen this explanation a few times. The game was done but they feared it would be inferior to those games and yet somehow affect N64 value perception (which makes no sense Starfox 64 is beautiful compared to a Super FX game outside if Mario World 2).

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is accurate. I've seen this explanation a few times. The game was done but they feared it would be inferior to those games and yet somehow affect N64 value perception (which makes no sense Starfox 64 is beautiful compared to a Super FX game outside if Mario World 2).

I don’t think it would have affected N64 value, they still wanted people to buy SNES and SNES games in 1995. If people went to a store and saw Warhawk next to Star Fox 2, they might decide to get a PSX because it’s such a huge upgrade, and if they got a PSX they’re probably not getting a N64. At least that’s the theory.

tkscz

Mind blowing for the SNES, not for 3D in general.

Birdo

Banned
I wonder how a Nintendo 32X would have ran, hypothetically.

The way the 32X worked was quite interesting. With the Megadrive hardware running sprites/backgrounds, and the 32X rendering the polygons.

The SNES's sprite scaling combined with extra 3D hardware could have produced some interesting stuff. I guess we'll never know :unsure:

darthvargi

I don’t think it would have affected N64 value, they still wanted people to buy SNES and SNES games in 1995. If people went to a store and saw Warhawk next to Star Fox 2, they might decide to get a PSX because it’s such a huge upgrade, and if they got a PSX they’re probably not getting a N64. At least that’s the theory.
You're right I thought I had read that they feared it would impact the N64 and I took it as people would think there isn't a huge difference when in reality they knew some people would invest in a PlayStation or Saturn at the time. I think you're spot on.

Scotty W

I wonder how a Nintendo 32X would have ran, hypothetically.

The way the 32X worked was quite interesting. With the Megadrive hardware running sprites/backgrounds, and the 32X rendering the polygons.

The SNES's sprite scaling combined with extra 3D hardware could have produced some interesting stuff. I guess we'll never know :unsure:
5e137093855cc2607c2990fe

Scotty W

This is an odd one because it's always called a SNES add-on, or accessory. However, the only versions that exist are their own stand-alone units.

I would be interested to know if any ps1 games got their start as Snes cd games. Maybe Croc?

Top Bottom