• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suggestions for Neo Geo games on the Virtual Console

Edit:

Should I buy Metal Slug X or 3? My physical copy doesn't have good controls. I want one Metal Slug to play with my arcade sticks.

As a recent thread showed I really wanted a sprite-based fighter native to Wii U. Recently I just checked out some of my SNK collections and realized that they look fine in Wii mode on my HDTV through HDMI. In fact they looked really good. I must of forgot about that somehow in the recent months. With that I have a renewed interest in getting Neo Geo games off the Virtual Console (who knows when they could be delisted).

These are the Neo Geo games I own on retail discs.

Metal Slug Anthology: 1, 2, X, 3, 4, 5, 6 (Wasn't on Neo Geo)

Samurai Shodown Anthology: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (Wasn't on Neo Geo)

King of Fighters: Orochi Saga: 94-98

SNK Arcade Classics: Art of Fighting, Baseball Stars 2, Burning Fight, Fatal Fury, KOF 94, King of the Monsters, Last Resort, Magician Lord, Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, Samurai Shodown, Sengoku, Shock Troopers, Super Sidekicks 3, Top Hunter and World Heroes.

Data East Arcade Collection (Not Neo Geo versions): Street Slam, Magical Drop 3

I plan to get the following games: Real Bout: Fatal Fury 2, Sengoku 3, The Last Blade 2, Art of Fighting 3 and The King of Fighters 99.

In addition I want to get a Metal Slug game as the anthology release in NA did not have Classic Controller support (Japan did) so I can't use my arcade sticks. Which would be better X or 3? Also is World Heroes Perfect worth it for comedy? Would you say it's worth $6 (it's $9) of enjoyment? The version of Magical Drop 3 I have doesn't have the story mode of the virtual console release, should I get it for that mode alone? Is Magical Drop 2 necessary if you have 3?

Here is a list of the North American Neo Geo Virtual Console lineup by release. I've put an exclamation next to titles I own and a plus next to the one's I plan to get. If there are any hidden gems there that I haven't marked please tell me about them. Understand through I really only want one title per series (the first entries on SNK collection don't really count). I also own a lot of fighting games but I play them casually. So more character selection is better unless the game is vastly inferior.

There were 75 Neo Geo games released in Japan, 54 in NA. Titles like Kizuna Encounter, Crossed Swords and Pulstar were never brought over. Most weren't a big loss but the two I wanted would be WindJammers (which is the only Neo Geo game delisted so far) and Waku Waku 7 (looks really funny and well-done). Of course Garou: Mark of the Wolves not being available at all is a bummer. It seems like the Neo Geo releases were focused on the early titles as well as the early installments of a series (MS and SS go to IV). Still, did we need all the World Heroes games? Could they have skipped one of the 7 Fatal Fury's to get the MotW installment? They did keep up with it into 2013 though.

Here are the NA Neo Geo Virtual Console releases:

@ = I own the game already
+ = I'm going to get the game

Edit: Alphabetically now

2020 Super Baseball
Art of Fighting @
Art of Fighting 2
Art of Fighting 3: The Path of the Warrior +
Baseball Stars 2 @
Blue's Journey
Burning Fight
Fatal Fury @
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury 3: Road to the Final Victory +
Fighter's History Dynamite
Ironclad (1,000 Wii Points)
The King Of FIghters '94 @
The King Of FIghters '95 @
The King Of FIghters '96 @
The King Of FIghters '97 @
The King Of FIghters '98 @
The King Of Fighters '99 +
King of the Monsters @
The Last Blade
The Last Blade 2 +
Magical Drop II
Magical Drop III @
Magician Lord @
Metal Slug @
Metal Slug 2 @
Metal Slug 3 @
Metal Slug 4 @
Metal Slug X @
NAM-1975
Neo Turf Masters @
Ninja Combat
Ninja Commando
Ninja Masters
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers +
Samurai Shodown @
Samurai Shodown II @
Samurai Shodown III @
Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge @
Sengoku @
Sengoku 2
Sengoku 3 +
Shock Troopers @
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Spin Master
Street Slam @
Top Hunter @
World Heroes @
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet
World Heroes Perfect

By Release Order (original post)

1 - Art of Fighting @
2 - Fatal Fury: King of Fighters @
3 - World Heroes @
4 - Magician Lord @
5 - Blue's Journey
6 - Baseball Stars 2 @
7 - Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy @
8 - King of Fighters '94 @
9 - Metal Slug @
10 - Ninja Combat
11 - Samurai Shodown @
12 - Burning Fight
13 - Fatal Fury 2
14 - King of the Monsters @
15 - Ninja Commando
16 - Art of Fighting 2
17 - Neo Turf Masters@
18 - Samurai Shodown II @
19 - Metal Slug 2 @
20 - Fatal Fury Special @
21 - Ironclad
22 - King of Fighters '95 @
23 - Samurai Shodown III @
24 - Fatal Fury 3
25 - Street Slam @
26 - Spinmaster
27 - Magical Drop II
28 - Fighter's History Dynamite
29 - Magical Drop III @
30 - The King of Fighters '97 @
31 - Samurai Shodown IV @
32 - Metal Slug 3 @
33 - The Last Blade
34 - Super Baseball 2020
35 - King of Fighters '96 @
36 - World Heroes Perfect
37 - Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
38 - Metal Slug X @
39 - Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 +
40 - The Last Blade 2 +
41 - Shock Troopers @
42 - Sengoku 2
43 - Ninja Master's
44 - Real Bout Fatal Fury
45 - Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
46 - World Heroes 2
47 - Metal Slug 4 @
48 - World Heroes 2 Jet
49 - The King of Fighters '98 @
50 - Art of Fighting 3: The Path of the Warrior +
51 - NAM-1975
52 - Sengoku @
53 - The King of Fighters '99: Millennium Battle +
54 - Sengoku 3 +

This link has all the titles with box art: http://www.listchallenges.com/neo-geo-games-available-on-the-wii-virtual-console

This actually my 2000th post.

Surprisingly Neo Geo games were the last few releases for the Wii Virtual Console. Still coming out in the middle of 2013, the last release being Sengoku 3. Which being from 2001 is the latest title barring some N64 game I forgot. Edit: Actually the Metal Slug games were late releases. Metal Slug 4 came out in 2014.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nam '75 is a pretty good Cabal-esque game. Control scheme takes a bit of time to get used to. GameSack covered Blue's Journey in one episode and it seemed like a cute, albeit graphically unimpressive, 2D platformer.

Krejlooc

Banned
The best neo geo game ever, garou mark of the wolves, isnt on that list. What a shame.

The following are great (ignoring ones you already own on disc)

Spin masters
Top hunters
Sengoku 3
Real bout fatal fury 2
Magical drop 3
The last blade
Nam 75

jholmes

If you're getting Baseball Stars 2, consider 2020 Super Baseball. It's pretty fun and the Neo Geo version is definitive.

blackjaw

KOF 94 is one of my favorite games of the series, might just be nostalgia from dropping so many quarters back in the day, but I still play it occasionally now

Krejlooc

Banned
KOF 94 is one of my favorite games of the series, might just be nostalgia from dropping so many quarters back in the day, but I still play it occasionally now

I love kof, but it's almost certainly nostalgia. Further games did everything 94 did but better. Have you tried other kof games? 97, 98, and 2002 are my favorites.

blackjaw

I love kof, but it's almost certainly nostalgia. Further games did everything 94 did but better. Have you tried other kof games? 97, 98, and 2002 are my favorites.

Yep, I'm a fan of all of those. I also really enjoy 99 and XIII but 94 is great for how simple it is.

Okay I've edited the OP. Hopefully an alphabetical list allows to more easily check if a game is available. Also please someone answer the Metal Slug X or 3 question.

Viewpoint.

Dodgeball. Spiritual testament of Technos Japan Corp. and one of the best sport games tout court.

Both aren't options on the list.

I used to LOVE Nam1975 in the arcades.

Nam '75 is a pretty good Cabal-esque game. Control scheme takes a bit of time to get used to. GameSack covered Blue's Journey in one episode and it seemed like a cute, albeit graphically unimpressive, 2D platformer.

The best neo geo game ever, garou mark of the wolves, isnt on that list. What a shame.

The following are great (ignoring ones you already own on disc)

Spin masters
Top hunters
Sengoku 3
Real bout fatal fury 2
Magical drop 3
The last blade
Nam 75

A lot of Nam '75 recommendations. While it looked kind of interesting and hilarious with it's Apocalypse Now ripoff it seems pretty simple and shorter. It seems I would be better off getting Sunset Riders for SNES though that's much smaller-scale. Is Nam '75 worth it for the set pieces and gamplay alone or does the challenge of finishing with limited livesva large amount of it's appeal?

If you're getting Baseball Stars 2, consider 2020 Super Baseball. It's pretty fun and the Neo Geo version is definitive.

Maybe.

Metal Slug X is my favorite metal slug game period.

I was leaning toward 3 because of the more fantastical elements like Zombies and it being longer. Or does it's length work against it? What would be better for a casual game with someone who hasn't played Metal Slug before?

Krejlooc

Banned
I was leaning toward 3 because of the more fantastical elements like Zombies and it being longer. Or does it's length work against it? What would be better for a casual game with someone who hasn't played Metal Slug before?

Metal slug X has aliens, which are pretty fantastical. I found it to be the appropriate length, provided you're not quarter popping. Can you do that on the virtual console?

Metal Slug X is best Metal Slug. Good mix of human vs mutant/alien enemies and not detrimentally damage spongy or long like MS3 is.

Sengoku 3 is one of the best beat 'em ups ever made.

I'm also a massive, massive fan of Neo Turf Masters. Edit - You already own the SNK compilation disc, so nevermind!

Sophia

Nah, it's length doesn't work against it. Both Metal Slug X and Metal Slug 3 are regarded as the cream of the crop in the franchise. Personally I think Metal Slug X would be a little bit better for a beginner, however. Plus, the final fight is basically one hilarious homage to Independence Day.

Hellraizah

I bought ALL of the Neo Geo games on VC and I'm still pissed the ones I really wanted never came out. Garou : Mark Of The Wolves not coming out is the worst crime against humanity.

Top Bottom