• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish Prosecutors to Finally Question Julian Assange After More Than Four Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Julian Assange will be questioned by Swedish prosecutors inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London, in a possible breakthrough to end the impasse over his case.

Assange has been living inside the embassy for more than four years and has been granted political asylum by Ecuador.

He has offered to be questioned inside the embassy but Swedish prosecutors have only recently agreed.

The statement said the proceedings did not affect the recent opinion of the Working Group on Arbitrary Detentions of the United Nations, which found that Assange was being arbitrarily detained. The working group called for Assange to be released and given compensation for violation of his rights.

The Ecuador statement added: “Ecuador’s foreign ministry reiterates its commitment to the asylum granted to Julian Assange in August 2012, and reaffirms that the protection afforded by the Ecuadorian state shall continue while the circumstances persist that led to the granting of asylum, namely fears of political persecution.”

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...-inside-embassy-as-ecuador-agrees-to-set-date

Finally. Given the fact that this involved an alleged rape case, you'd think the Swedish authorities would have done this long ago.

After they question him, they can move on and actually charge him, or drop the case.

obin_gam

I was on his side at first - since the prosecutors changed their story over time - but now that he's shown to back Trump as well and be an outright douchebag... I say feed him to the sharks.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was on his side at first - since the prosecutors changed their story over time - but now that he's shown to back Trump as well and be an outright douchebag... I say feed him to the sharks.

Nah.

I prefer justice to be impartial.

That isn't to say that I wouldn't like him to be tarred and feathered.

Joni

Finally. Given the fact that this involved an alleged rape case, you'd think the Swedish authorities would have done this long ago.
Last I heard they were blocked by Ecuador on that. They have been trying for four years.

Syriel

Last I heard they were blocked by Ecuador on that. They have been trying for four years.

Nope. That is not true.

Ecuador has been completely open to allowing Sweden to question Assange. Both Assange and Ecuador have offered to allow Swedish authorities to question him in the embassy.

Sweden has refused to charge him, because Swedish law requires that he be questioned before either charging or dropping the case, but up until now Swedish authorities have refused to question Assange in the embassy.

jelly

What if he they find enough to charge him with, does he accept his fate or shout conspiracy I'm staying here.

The great expense and inconvenience has shown neither Sweden or the UK were interested in justice for the women involved in this case.
What if he they find enough to charge him with, does he accept his fate or shout conspiracy I'm staying here.
He has been in there for 4 years and will have to remain another 4 if he wants to avoid these charges. I appreciate he has the freedom to eat what he wants, and do what he wants online. But would the rape charge in Sweden be much worse? Wiki suggests he'd only get 2-6 years in a Swedish prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom