• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tadpole Treble |OT| Brawl in the Family: The Game

Rran

wqFSPeP.jpg

Tadpole Treble

Developed by: BitFinity
Platforms: Steam and Wii U
Release Date: May 6th, 2016 (Steam); Spring 2016 (Wii U)
Kickstarter amount raised: $34,250 of $30,000 goal

uh5sShY.png

Matthew Taranto (the Brawl in the Family guy) decided he was tired of drawing Kirby and set to work on his very own game, Tadpole Treble. Kickstarted in late 2013, BitFinity’s first game is all about guiding a tadpole to safety through the perils of the game’s own soundtrack. It’s described as a music/action game with an emphasis on arcade-style scoring. Fans of BitF should feel right at home, because while the game doesn’t star Waluigi, all the art, music, and sense of humor are straight from Taranto’s playbook, and there are a few lyrical songs as well.

uQPG4jB.png

e5WPnvq.png

The main campaign involves guiding protagonist Baton back to her home in Tadpole Pond. The playfield is a musical staff that stretches infinitely across a river, and you shift Baton up and down the field to guide her away from danger and into the good stuff. Since the obstacles are determined by the music, each stage has its own theme song and story to it. Every third stage features a showdown against a boss creature that would be terrifying to your average tadpole (so, like, medium-sized turtles and stuff).

Nsjj2iU.png

M47RUWM.png

This mode allows players to craft their own songs, and then play through them as a stage. Very Mario Paint-ish in execution, although this has some modern amenities like being able to make sharps and flats. Share levels with friends with QR Codes, so they can play your version of Through the Fire and Flames.

sbMiAKv.png

• Leaderboards: Keeps track of both highest and lowest scores. Apparently it’s difficult to get the extreme on either side.
  • Bestiary: Look at river creatures and maybe learn a thing or two.
  • Music Player: Unlock stage songs by getting the highest ranks.
  • Developer Commentaries: Irreverent and entertaining bickering between Matthew and his brother. Unlocked by getting the lowest ranks.
  • Concerto Mode: An endurance mode.

2013fpJ.png

Steam page
Trailer

While Tadpole Treble is in early access, BitFinity has said this was just to add in Steam achievements and cloud saving, and the game itself is done. Should be releasing on Wii U soon too, with extra GamePad touching for Composition Mode.

Reviews:
DarkZero 9/10 “If you love music, (and who doesn’t?) you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not checking this game out.”
the authentic gamer: 8/10 “While not totally reinventing the wheel, Tadpole Treble is a refreshing entry into a genre that needs a breath of fresh air.”

5Iq7hTd.jpg

Kucan

Will be getting on the Wii U, between Mario Maker, Art Academy and this, we pretty much have Mario Paint for the Wii U. And that's great.

Torquill

Will be getting on the Wii U, between Mario Maker, Art Academy and this, we pretty much have Mario Paint for the Wii U. And that's great.

All that's missing is a fly killing game. Hmm, Tadpole Treble DOES have frogs in it...

Rran

All that's missing is a fly killing game. Hmm, Tadpole Treble DOES have frogs in it...

Can confirm, a sidequest has you collecting rather cute-looking "Challenge Flies" and then giving them to a very fat bullfrog. In case it's not clear enough what happens to them, the frog afterward describes their flavor in mouth-watering detail.....

Shizza

This one is out today, and it looks like a fun game to check out!

Video from NateDrake in the Nintendo Downloads thread:

Had to update the video link to Tadpole Treble as I had to re-upload the video. Here's the working link: https://youtu.be/WJZNs6hoP7A

The first time I watched the video it was at work (so no sound), and I was somewhat interested - but I rewatched it this morning with sound, and was sold on it. Great use of those retro-sounding tunes.

Jims

Just got this today and really like it so far. This was the only project I'd ever contributed to on Kickstarter and had been eagerly waiting for the Wii U release.

Super charming game and a great follow-up to Brawl in the Family. Really retains a lot of the style of the webcomic, especially their video strips they did. The vocal tracks are extremely whimsical and remind me of the silly kind of stuff they do in the recent Rayman soundtracks. There's a nice variety of different styles so far. Absolutely loved the Chiptune Lagoon level in particular... Not just for the fun pixel aesthetic (which is itself kinda played out by now) but the level design is great and builds to a nice sweeping finish. Really catchy tune.

Smacking those bamboo pipes in rhythm while moving up and down is really tricky. I also need to anticipate the cymbal clashes slightly better. Feeling the hits musically but hitting the button a millisecond too late...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The full Steam launch is today with a few updates. It's currently #1 under popular new releases.

dgvPkgg.gif

Our teen has been playing this a ton over Labor Day Weekend (Wii U version), have they said anything about fixing the freezing and crashing issues yet?

That being said, just watching someone play this is really fun! I think more people should hop in this river and swim to victory. Really surprised that this thread is so dead.

Top Bottom