• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech heads: why is my volume so much lower watching streaming than was with cable TV?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This year I switch from cable TV to Youtube TV, and the volume is so much lower when I stream. I notice this as well outside of Youtube TV. If I use my Apple TV to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc I usually need my TV volume in the mid 20's, but back when I was using Cable TV(Xfinity) my volume was in the low teens to achieve the same volume.

I'm using the same HDMI cable I did for both.

Mikado

Gold Member
My guess?

R 128 and friends

There didn't really used to be a standard for loudness.
In the last 10ish years or so, there is.

Streaming services (and some Euro stations) take it seriously.
Your cable provider possibly didn't.

Edit: Further - From experience, tv puts brickwall limiters/compressors on everything, especially ads to really grab your attention, but destroying any semblance of dynamic range. Also see the Loudness Wars
(which I like to imagine were fought by Noise Marines).

Last edited:

mitch1971

I've always been puzzled by the volume level of HD channels in the UK (especially BBC). The audio level on the HD channel is sometimes really low compared to its SD counterpart. Why?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Ya my streaming volumes have changed a bunch. With Netflix if says Dolby but is I am watching a doc and it goes to an old clip in stereo the voice volume drops to nothing.

compression mixing in streaming is awful.

INC

Compression and LUFS limits

No different to Spotify and tidal having different upper LUFS and Compression limits

Or maybe your stream is set to 5.1, and nit stereo etc etc

Top Bottom