• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me about Crimson Sea 2

I saw a trailer for Crimson Sea 1 and i like it, but i dont have an xbox!

http://www.koei.com/launch/crimson_sea/trailer.htm

I DO however have a ps2, How is Crimson Sea 2?

Can anyone post to videos better than whats on IGN?
Does CS 2 have huge environments and bosses like CS 1?
Does anyone want to sell me a copy of CS 2 preferably like new, for cheap?

Looking for as much info as possible.

Dracos

I picked this up a few weeks ago on the cheap. I haven't played more than a few hours of it, but from what I played it was pretty boring. Lots of enemies to shoot or slash, but the rooms aren't very expansive. Mind you it might get better, but I haven't played much. I eventually go back to it. It's one of those trade in deal fodder games. Not the worst by any means, and maybe worth $10. Grab it if you have nothing better to do.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
I have it and personally I think it sucks. The actual gameplay itself is pretty good, basically run around and maniacally blast things with your machine gun. The bad is basically everything else. The story is HORRIBLE, probably the worst I've ever seen in a game. The levels (also HORRIBLE) are basically rehashed over and over for the various missions and the "huge enviorments" are basically four varieties of dark, rust colored corridors. The enemies are also recycled to the extreme so basically it feels like you just played the same level over 40 times only with a different random person telling you why you are there each time. The bosses are impressive the first time you see them but they are few and far between and easy as hell to beat. I found it for $8.99 at EB used.

SuperPac

I always thought of Crimson Sea as a futuristic Dynasty Warriors mixed with PSO gameplay, offline. Feels very similar to that, though there's a bit more variety in what you're doing. I enjoyed the Xbox version quite a bit.

CS2 reminded me of PSO off-line. With a better camera. :p

Also, if you have a Micro Center in your area they have Crimson Sea 2 there for around $10-13.

Overall, there are worse ways to blow $15.

Iceshade

My return key is broken.
I have played through both games and SuperPac's assessment of Crimson Sea 1 is fairly accurate. It is Dynasty Warriors with guns, a sci-fi twist, and Phantasy Star Online offline gameplay. The story may not be super incredible but it functions with the amusing cast in the game. Sho and Shami were my favorite characters and for a little piece of trivia, the name Shami means fire.

I really liked the art direction and look of the levels as well as the cool aliens I was bashing to death. Every level for the most part looked different and helped in immersing me into this sci-fi universe. The camera was very unfriendly because it wouldn't allow for much rotation. The movement controls at times were rather tanklike.

For many people, such an issue would kill their interest in the game but I stuck with it to the end because it was entertaining enough to finish and I prefer not to give my opinion on a game until I beat it because I believe that only after one has completed a game do you have b***hing rights. The ending was ok too. I give Crimson Sea 1 a B.

Crimson Sea 2 on the other hand was a shot in the foot for Koei. The developers pretty much degenerated Crimson Sea to a repetitive dungeon romp. They also moved it to the PS2 because Crimson Sea 1 wasn't exactly a big seller on the X-Box and Koei thought by moving it to Sony's console, they could achieve more sales.

There were improvements made such as a fully rotational camera, more flexibility of movement, faster attacks, combo tricks, and a new playable character Feanay. There were also downgrades made in the form of a cursory story that pretty much excluded all the characters except for Sho and Feanay, a forced love relationship between Sho and Feanay, an option to see cutscenes from Crimson Sea 1 but with lesser graphics and certain scenes cut out, levels that just recycle a few templates (and are boring, ugly, and monotonous to boot), no cool bosses, weaker graphics, and a dissapointing ending to boot. I give Crimson Sea 2 a C.

In a nutshell, Crimson Sea 1 has an iffy camera and tankish movement, but everything else is fun. Crimson Sea 2 has better gameplay and camera movement but is inferior in every other area.

Too bad, the trailer for 1 made it look awesome, and it would have been nice if 2 followed suit. I guess rogue galaxy will fill the void im looking to fill (and that has PIRATES).

Top Bottom