• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent will soon require Chinese users to present IDs to play its video games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/5/...playerunknown-battlegrounds-league-of-legends

China’s Tencent will soon require gamers to prove their ages and identities against police records, according to a new official statement yesterday. Under the new system, users will need to register their Chinese national IDs in order to play any games from Tencent.

Ten mobile games will get the new verification system by the end of the year, and all games offered by Tencent, including PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds and League of Legends, will get the system by 2019.

In September, Tencent imposed the new verification system on Arena of Valor and created a feature that blurs the screen if minors look too closely at it. The new system simply enforces rules that Tencent had in place since last year: barring gamers who are 12 and under from playing more than an hour a day and establishing a curfew of 9PM. Those who are 13 to 18 can play up to two hours a day. Still, the system won’t prevent minors from borrowing the phones of their parents and other adults.

STI

That’s a pretty good way to keep them bots/trolls out

Last edited:

LegendaryLife

Neo Member
Sounds good. Although if parents were letting kids play too much in the first place, they probably won't find more productive ways for their kids to use their time. The next step would be to mandate enriching after-school activities for the children. Sounds pretty good, although there are probably some trade-offs. Less autonomous parents and children.

Lucumo

South Korea has required SSN and mobile phone numbers for MMOs for a long time now, so something like this isn't exactly new or surprising.

cryptoadam

Banned
I am all for limiting screen time of children, but once again China showing its 1984 colors. Its an absolute police state over there.

Solo Act

Obviously this is par for the course for China and the control they force upon their citizens, but I've always thought this kind of stuff would be good for the internet in general. It seems like we'd have a lot less hate speech and other things if the curtain of anonymity was removed.

I don't know. I can see some bad sides, but I can also see a lot of good.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
A couple years ago I had a virus installing all kinds of spyware crap on my computer, all of it labeled TenCent. For years I just thought of it as some shady spyware company, so whenever I see the name, that’s the first thing I think of.

Obviously this is par for the course for China and the control they force upon their citizens, but I've always thought this kind of stuff would be good for the internet in general. It seems like we'd have a lot less hate speech and other things if the curtain of anonymity was removed.

Might be good for social media like ffacebook and twitter in the west.

Fuz

Banned
Might be good for social media like ffacebook and twitter in the west.

You are completely crazy.

Solo Act

I'm not taking a strong position, but I'm curious why you think it would be completely crazy if I knew who you were as we're having this conversation. I think it would help people to be more measured in their responses and even shy away from aggressive phrasing which get others upset.

One of the problems identified in the misinformation craze lately is that all news stories are made "flat" on sites like Facebook. Well-researched pieces by the New York Times are given the same air space as an article written by a teenager in Romania. In the same way, it's likely that people online get worked up over comments made by someone who should never be given that kind of power over their emotions.

For example, if someone like Barack Obama said something was nonsense, you may give that opinion more weight than an 8 year old saying the same thing.
(that's an extreme example, but it helps to illustrate a point)

Last edited:

Barakov

I'm not taking a strong position, but I'm curious why you think it would be completely crazy if I knew who you were as we're having this conversation. I think it would help people to be more measured in their responses and even shy away from aggressive phrasing which get others upset.

One of the problems identified in the misinformation craze lately is that all news stories are made "flat" on sites like Facebook. Well-researched pieces by the New York Times are given the same air space as an article written by a teenager in Romania. In the same way, it's likely that people online get worked up over comments made by someone who shouldn't have that kind of power over their emotions.

For example, if someone like Barack Obama said something was nonsense, you may give that opinion more weight than an 8 year old saying the same thing.
Except there are people on Twitter and Facebook who use their real names and throw out all kinds of opinions with agressive phrasing as you say. Also hiding behind an anonymous name isn't guaranteed privacy. Doxing exists. People will jump through all kinds of hoops just to out a person who disagreed with them. And they even go further to muck up their life just because of said disagreement. All governments should keep their hands out of the internet full stop.

Iaterain

mkschaal15068793822301.jpg

Michele

you.
Because its so good or because its bad? I see no polarity in your post.

Like, I'd like to know why in details. Why does this always exist in, like, almost all Chinese Websites you visit? This always exist, asking for a ID. Even Korea has this ID requirement.

I personally just think it's a bit...phishing...

cireza

If people had to specify their identity before posting on the internet, we would probably spend more time having constructive discussions and much less reading absurd things.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned

Part of the called Social Credit System

A.k.a real 1984 Big Brother

Anything in society like crossing a street to throwing trash counts as credit positive or negative, sth that can even impede you from traveling, buying a property or signing your child to go to a private school. Now on videogames!!! Yay!!

Last edited:

BlackTron

I would think no sane person would ever give their SSN to play a game....apparently I am wrong reading these responses.

This is total insanity.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Like, I'd like to know why in details. Why does this always exist in, like, almost all Chinese Websites you visit? This always exist, asking for a ID. Even Korea has this ID requirement.

I personally just think it's a bit...phishing...
It’s to have 100% insigth into the people. Total Control.

Are we though? The US (and SK) is seen as good while China is seen as evil. Even though the US spies on people like me, it is not an Authoritarian state like China is. And most likely will never become one (or in my lifetime at least). Same goes for South Korea who already has it.

Gander

Banned
We are not far from this at all. Already you can't get certain jobs if your credit score is low, nor can you get certain apartments even if you can afford it.

Once they link social network status to your credit score it's all over.

Pallas

Huh ... a bit too much and extreme but then again it’s China. I’m sure Tencent is being forced to do this(right...?), hopefully such things do not spread too far from China.

Are we though? The US (and SK) is seen as good while China is seen as evil. Even though the US spies on people like me, it is not an Authoritarian state like China is. And most likely will never become one (or in my lifetime at least). Same goes for South Korea who already has it.

Well China is practically borderline Dictatorship with be amount of power Jinping has acquired. I don’t see the US getting anywhere close to it as long as the powers between the three branches stay balance.

Also what the hell are you doing to make the government spy on you(rhetorical) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

China is not the promising economy of the future we've been told. It's going to become a scum craphole faster than western countries as it barely reached it's economical level...

What a shame.

Fbh

Might help with cheaters and trolls but I think controlling how long and at what times you are allowed to play is taking it way too far. Even if it's only applied to minors, I still think parents should be the ones deciding .

What I don't think is that bad is using the ID to verify age. I lived in Switzerland for a while and the only way to order M rated games from pretty much any big retailer was to enter some info from your ID (I think the serial code?) which they could use to verify your age. It's obviously not a flawless system but I found it to better than just some screen that asks for your age with no way of finding out if you are lying.

One of the problems identified in the misinformation craze lately is that all news stories are made "flat" on sites like Facebook. Well-researched pieces by the New York Times are given the same air space as an article written by a teenager in Romania. In the same way, it's likely that people online get worked up over comments made by someone who should never be given that kind of power over their emotions.

(that's an extreme example, but it helps to illustrate a point)

People use their real names on facebook. Doesn't stop them from continuing to be shitty on the internet.

Top Bottom