• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas' bathroom bill has cleared the first hurdle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

Let's hope this doesn't effect Amazon building a 1 million square feet distribution center off the Katy freeway.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/03...illion-sf-distribution-center-with-1000-jobs/

KATY, Texas – Amazon Inc. has been scouting the Houston area for a massive distribution center and people in the real estate community say that Amazon is expected to construct the facility on the far west side of Houston along Interstate 10.

If the deal comes together as envisioned, the Amazon footprint will be impressive – approximately 1 million square feet. And the job creation will be noteworthy as well — 1,000 new jobs. Although there is no official announcement, people in the Houston real estate community say there is a high probability this deal will coalesce, according to a copyrighted story in Realty News Report.

Yeah, some people don't like Amazon but I'm pro-Amazon.

Ekdrm2d1

Maybe Texas can do a complete 180?

Outlaw gun sales and shooting ranges.

Increased Planned Parenthood (and abortion centers) by 2,000%

Legalize weed.

Outlaw cigarettes (to keep our streets clean).

The liberals paradise.

It's not Abbott or Patrick that would feel the brunt of the economic downturn either. They'll be long gone by the time the damage is truly felt.

Sadly, I am skeptical of this in the end.

First though, let me say I don't support the bill by any means. What makes me skeptical though is that in 2015 Houston failed to pass an equal rights ordinance that would have further protected the LGBT community from discrimination, including allowances to use the bathroom of choice based on gender. Before it failed, a lot of talk was made about the business that Houston would lose including the Super Bowl. Citizens still voted it down though and it failed to pass.

Afterward, the NFL said they were still committed to coming to the city. Granted, it isn't easy to just upend the Super Bowl where commitments have already been made. Plenty of money followed though with celebrities doing concerts, more hotels moving in, and businesses popping up. Houston growth stagnated for part of 2016, but is on the rise again.

So while legislation such as this is awful, it seems people have a very short memory or just outright prefer the money to be made regardless. I would have expected more boycotts and people not wanting to perform here. Even if the Super Bowl couldn't pull out due to contracts (I'm guessing that is why), surely celebs and businesses could have boycotted and put strain on both the city and the NFL, reminding them that this won't stand in the future.

Again though, I hope the current legislation doesn't pass. I am just skeptical of the claims being made as it seems many people will still just follow the money in the end regardless. The few that are willing to thoroughly boycott are few and far between.

Let's remember that the whole reason HB2 happened was because Charlotte passed a bill that sounds similar to what you're saying Houston failed to pass. Charlotte went out and protected LGBT community, and the state legislature got so mad about it that they went over their heads and fucked over Charlotte and the rest of the state.

In my opinion, I don't see them not following through in Texas after they already did so in North Carolina.

Ekdrm2d1

Let's hope this doesn't effect Amazon building a 1 million square feet distribution center off the Katy freeway.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/03...illion-sf-distribution-center-with-1000-jobs/

Amazon announces plans to build another 1M-square-foot facility near Houston
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...nounces-plans-to-build-another-1m-square.html

Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN) announced March 29 that it will build another Houston-area fulfillment center that will create 1,000 more full-time jobs, according to a statement.

The 1 million-square-foot fulfillment center will be in Katy and will be developed by Indianapolis-based Duke Realty Corp. (NYSE: DRE). The facility will pick, pack and ship larger-sized customer items, such as music equipment, sports gear and electronics, the statement said.

hale_longhorns_conspiracy.gif

Kart94

Banned
Republicans sure are concerned over people going to the bathroom, like they are concerned about what people do in their bedroom.

Screw Climate Change or the president probably having Russian connections, you know those minor issues.. This is the hot topic for Texas.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This is such a monumentally stupid idea, even without gender prejudice.

Under this bill a perverted man could walk into the ladies' room freely under the pretense that anatomically he's a woman.

Texas is a lot closer to being purple than most people think. But the GOP owns us regardless, so they have no legal hurdles. The only deterrent we have is in the hands of corporations that won't build here if it passes.

You know you are fucked when you have to rely on corporations for the protection of workers'/people's rights.

Stay strong Texas. Hopefully the whole wall bullshit will finally turn the state red.

Somnid

It would be a shame if the only notable Republican star Texas just threw it all away. They need to go purple or die like the rest of the South.

Ekdrm2d1

This is such a monumentally stupid idea, even without gender prejudice.

Under this bill a perverted man could walk into the ladies' room freely under the pretense that anatomically he's a woman.

Wait. You're against gender-free restrooms?

The type of scenario you described plays as a GOP fear mongering commercial. We lost the HERO bill because of this.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Wait. You're against gender-free restrooms?

The type of scenario you described plays as a GOP fear mongering commercial. We lost the HERO bill because of this.

I am not against gender free restrooms, nor have I heard of the HERO bill. Was just trying to say the bill in the OP isn't even consistent with conservative thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom