• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGS Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain gameplay

This is a different game than EDF5, right? Why are they doing two EDF games that close to each other?

Yes, different game. Different developer.

Looks like this is 2018 whereas EDF5 is coming December this year (in Japan).

Also am I the only one picturing the female voice as:
latest

?

The Orz

It looks...fancy? Fancier? Must be all of the filters and cinematic camera work. I'm not really feeling it. The fact that Sandlot's not at the helm doesn't help with my personal incertitude.

Hesh

Can't wait to play this. Also lol @ that lady doing every stereotypical little girl anime voice ever for some reason.

https://kotaku.com/earth-defense-force-iron-rain-is-a-damn-good-time-1818645016

Kotaku seems to like it. There is a reload mechanic and ammo is limited giving it a more survival horror vibe. Also, the bugs are more relentless in this version. I welcome the changes to the formula and we will still have traditional EDF5 for old school fans.

For years, the Earth Defense Force games have been compared to B-films. They’re fun, campy, and gleefully stupid. The newly announced Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain, however, is bringing some big changes to the series: Less stupid, more scary.

You reload in previous games, but it’s not a gameplay mechanic. This time, on the right of the sight reticle, there is a meter that keeps track of how many bullets are in your weapon’s chamber. After you fire them all, it goes to red, and you have to wait a few seconds for it to reload.

Traditionally in Earth Defense Force games, you are running-and-gunning the entire time. Throughout the maps there are crates with ammo and armor to restock. In Iron Rain, however, you have a limited number of shots for your primary and secondary weapon. You must be more careful with your firepower, changing how you approach the insect onslaught.

Since you can’t fire your weapon while it’s reloading, it becomes necessary to get away from the giant bugs, who seem more intent than ever on finding you and killing you. They are the most relentless bugs in any EDF game to date, willing to climb up and over buildings to hunt your ass down.

Markoman

https://kotaku.com/earth-defense-force-iron-rain-is-a-damn-good-time-1818645016

Kotaku seems to like it. There is a reload mechanic and ammo is limited giving it a more survival horror vibe. Also, the bugs are more relentless in this version. I welcome the changes to the formula and we will still have traditional EDF5 for old school fans.

In all honesty, this article reads like the author has never played an EDF game before.
You don't collect ammo and armor to restock and insects have always climbed buildings.

Dwayne

In all honesty, this article reads like the author has never played an EDF game before.
You don't collect ammo and armor to restock and insects have always climbed buildings.
Exactly. I didn't notice any difference in how the reloading worked compared to normal EDF, and didn't experience running out of ammo (or finding ammo in the levels) so unless we were playing different modes or something, that's all baloney.

Exactly. I didn't notice any difference in how the reloading worked compared to normal EDF, and didn't experience running out of ammo (or finding ammo in the levels) so unless we were playing different modes or something, that's all baloney.

Hmm. That's not the first time Kotaku dropped the ball....

Top Bottom