• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ALS Association wants to trademark ‘ice bucket challenge’

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They popularized it, hence their case. They'll claim they came up with the most popular application for it, so they should be able to have the trademark for it, etc.

From my understanding of it, a guy (forget his name) who has ALS, first started doing the ice challenge to raise awareness for ALS (not the first to do the ice challenge, just the first to do it for ALS). Then it went viral. I dont think ALSA had anything to do with it becoming big.

SeanR1221

From my understanding of it, a guy (forget his name) who has ALS, first started doing the ice challenge to raise awareness for ALS (not the first to do the ice challenge, just the first to do it for ALS). Then it went viral. I dont think ALSA had anything to do with it becoming big.

Pete Frates

Tabris

Might as well through that 70 mill in the garbage then.

Also while a cure may not be found in any of our lifetimes, cancer research also leads to break throughs like better ways to manage chemotherapy, better surgical methods for tumour removal, and better detection capabilities. Which both can significantly improve the quality of life of a cancer patient, and save more lives.

A minor change like better detection capability in cancer would have a much more significant impact on humanity than curing ALS.

This is why I have personally donated to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
But wait? Ice Bucket Challenge donations are nearing $100 MILLION. Where is that money going?

According to the ALS Foundation, not towards ALS.

Over 73% of all donations raised are going to fundraising, overhead, executive salaries, and external donations. Less than 27% is actually used for the purpose we donated for.

According to the ECFA, a charitable watchdog, 27% of donations actually making it to the cause they are donated to is unacceptable. In fact, the ECFA won't deem a non-profit as a reliable charity unless at least 80% of donations make it to their intended projects.

Here's the breakdown of the ALS Foundation's Financials:

Employee salaries at the ALS Foundation are out-of-this-WORLD!

Jane H. Gilbert – President and CEO –$339,475.00
Daniel M. Reznikov – Chief Financial Officer – $201,260.00
Steve Gibson – Chief Public Policy Officer – $182,862.00
Kimberly Maginnis -Chief of Care Services Officer – $160,646.00
Lance Slaughter -Chief Chapter Relations and Development Officer – $152,692.00
Michelle Keegan – Chief Development Officer – $178,744.00
John Applegate – Association Finance Officer – $118.726.00
David Moses – Director of Planned Giving – $112,509.00
Carrie Munk – Chief Communications and Marketing Officer – $142,875.00
Patrick Wildman – Director of Public Policy – $112,358.00
Kathi Kromer – Director of State Advocacy – $110,661.00

The ALS Foundation is a terrible organization to send your money.

If you decide to take the Ice Bucket Challenge, may I humbly suggest that you select a well-researched charity (on your own, no endorsements here) and send it to them.

I personally have written a check to a small organization in Texas which gives food to homeless children and teens.

And that's my thought for the day. Take it for what you will.

http://www.politicalears.com/blog/i...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I think a lot of the money is going to pay the people running the show. Your money isn't exactly going to find a cure. You realize the guys leading everything get paid the exact amount of those donations. People feel great that they're supporting something serious, but in reality.. you're filling in those gaps where HR does all the paperwork for someone's bank account.

jett

D-Member
Jesuschrist 94 million? It was at 20 the last time I read about it.

Anyway, this is shameful. And unsurprising, charities can't help but behave like assholes.

Oh wow! I sure do love a cold bucket of ice water dumped on me for the ALSA­®'s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge™.

Encourage your friends to participate in ALSA­®'s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge™ today! And for a limited time only, visit our shop to purchase official ALSA­®'s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge™ merchandise!

Ferrio

Banned
http://www.politicalears.com/blog/i...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I think a lot of the money is going to pay the people running the show. Your money isn't exactly going to find a cure. You realize the guys leading everything get paid the exact amount of those donations. People feel great that they're supporting something serious, but in reality.. you're filling in those gaps where HR does all the paperwork for profits.

Ya you always gotta be wary of big name charities. Money usually better spent with local charity, less corruption and you can see the money first hand in action.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow! I sure do love a cold bucket of ice water dumped on me for the ALSA­®'s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge™.

Encourage your friends to participate in ALSA­®'s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge™ today! And for a limited time only, visit our shop to purchase official ALSA­®'s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge™ merchandise!

Should make an exclusivity deal with Evian.

Kraftwerk

I think a lot of the money is going to pay the people running the show. Your money isn't exactly going to find a cure. You realize the guys leading everything get paid the exact amount of those donations. People feel great that they're supporting something serious, but in reality.. you're filling in those gaps where HR does all the paperwork for someone's bank account.

Hasn't this been debunked a million times already? I saw people posting links with actual facts to rebuke it.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3296

JfCO1AM.png

juRs4Rq.png

bEs47pg.png

mwR6Khi.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hasn't this been debunked a million times already? I saw people posting links with actual facts to rebuke it.

Let's face it. There are only a few intelligent people who are going to find something groundbreaking in the span of a lifetime. The real leaders in solving such problems *come from a needle in a haystack or from a doctor practicing. These organizations have to pay the people in charge and for the most part they're people who've worked in the field for 25+ years and make six digits. I hate seeing these small charities where they think it's all going to a lab group somewhere out in Washington DC. All that money is being divided and used for pot lucks and a person's own personal checking account.

The million dollar celebrities aren't changing anything by giving their money. It's the attention they give with their name. They should of been doing this for other diseases that are just as bad or even worse than ALS. There are a handful of neuro/muscle degenerative diseases that need attention.

i saw this on my facebook

So I was nominated for ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. I'm not going to participate nor will I pay the donation money. With a little bit of research, fairly simple, I found the following. As of 2012, ALSA has directed only 7.71% of its budget to Research. And not only that, 63.63% of their budget for the fiscal year was dedicated to "Other Program Activities" I'm not going to guess what those other programs are, but they sure are not research. And administrative cost? 10.54% and 18.11% for fundraising. What does this mean? That out of the $100 I would give to this organization $7.71 of it would go to research, that's about as much as a test tube costs. Instead of donating and/or surviving off expiate which will account for only 7% research, donate to research based organizations like Angel Funds and so forth. Give it break already, there is no need to waste water and ice just so administration would get better cars and or clothes. Attached proof, but I beg you do your own research first

i saw this on my facebook

So I was nominated for ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. I'm not going to participate nor will I pay the donation money. With a little bit of research, fairly simple, I found the following. As of 2012, ALSA has directed only 7.71% of its budget to Research. And not only that, 63.63% of their budget for the fiscal year was dedicated to "Other Program Activities" I'm not going to guess what those other programs are, but they sure are not research. And administrative cost? 10.54% and 18.11% for fundraising. What does this mean? That out of the $100 I would give to this organization $7.71 of it would go to research, that's about as much as a test tube costs. Instead of donating and/or surviving off expiate which will account for only 7% research, donate to research based organizations like Angel Funds and so forth. Give it break already, there is no need to waste water and ice just so administration would get better cars and or clothes. Attached proof, but I beg you do your own research first

In the past year:

PGah36b.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In the past year:

PGah36b.png

If you've ever been on Medpub or a medical journal website you see a ton of research. Some are just crazy little details that no one probably uses unless it helps the caregiver from not being sued. There are a ton of ""pointless"" research studies that demand money in order to be carried out. In the long run there might be a huge answer to solving some of medicine's greatest mysteries, but there is a lot of busy work in between. A lot of those people get paid and move on with different research, thus putting everything in this giant search engine for further use. Plus medical research is deemed a weak source or not credible after 5 years. I think a lot of time and money is spent negating to actually solving the problem. A lot of money in healthcare goes to these students who do their work on bathroom support beams. Healthcare has become a multifaceted field where money is gained, earned, and lost from every direction possible.

Let's face it. There are only a few intelligent people who are going to find something groundbreaking in the span of a lifetime. The real leaders in solving such problems *come from a needle in a haystack or from a doctor practicing. These organizations have to pay the people in charge and for the most part they're people who've worked in the field for 25+ years and make six digits. I hate seeing these small charities where they think it's all going to a lab group somewhere out in Washington DC. All that money is being divided and used for pot lucks and a person's own personal checking account.

The million dollar celebrities aren't changing anything by giving their money. It's the attention they give with their name. They should of been doing this for other diseases that are just as bad or even worse than ALS. There are a handful of neuro/muscle degenerative diseases that need attention.

Kraftwerk's link debunks your post.

For better or worse, it's literally their calling card right now. They came up with it, they do have a right to apply for it. Whether or not they get it though...

Cool, this has literally nothing at all in common with your original point.

Oh and it seems you're incorrect about them coming up with it. So congrats on that.

terrisus

Well, I mean, it's not like other charities haven't done similar things...

Try using a pink tied ribbon on anything and see where it gets you.

Or, heck, advertising for breast cancer research without a pink tied ribbon.

Cool, this has literally nothing at all in common with your original point.

Oh and it seems you're incorrect about them coming up with it. So congrats on that.

Hooooly shit, chill out.

That is the argument they are going to present, guaranteed. That has everything to do with my original point, because I was pointing out their reasoning. And again, none of this is going to matter, because they're not going to get the trademark. Hence it not being that big of a deal. Companies do this all the goddamn time. Very few succeed.

Won't matter unless it specifically comes up in the filing. Walking for the cure to cancer has been a thing for a long time, and yet Susan G. Komen got that one (how, I'll never know).

BPoole

I wonder if the NFL is going to be charged royalties now when the team dumps the water cooloer on the coach after the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom