• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Behemoth: Castle Crashers Hits 250k Players, Fixes Coming

YagizY

Lol at people blaming MS certification. So this isn't Behemoth's fault entirely because "they are a small developer?" They wrote the shitty code for the game, balls in their court. They made a mistake, it's their fault.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Sean said:
Patches take time, especially when there is only one programmer on the development team...

First things need to be tested and reproduced, a patch has to be programmed, then it has to go through a lengthy certification process, etc. I'm sure they'll update their blog when the patch goes live, otherwise the angry mob of people would be screaming "why are you blogging instead of coding a patch assholes!!11!"
If they only have one programmer then maybe they shouldn't be off galivating across the country the week their game releases.

There should be a rule that no one bump any more Castle Crashers threads until a patch is released. I'm a little disgusted about the fact that I was never able to play online for fear of losing all my shit. I don't want to hear anything about this game until they fix this shit. What's it been, over a month now. Fuckin bullshit.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
There should be a rule that no one bump any more Castle Crashers threads until a patch is released. I'm a little disgusted about the fact that I was never able to play online for fear of losing all my shit. I don't want to hear anything about this game until they fix this shit. What's it been, over a month now. Fuckin bullshit.

User CP --> Unsubscribe.

Done?

cjelly said:
If they only have one programmer then maybe they shouldn't be off galivating across the country the week their game releases.

And recently they were off at TGS. At least Giant Bomb asked them if they were giving away free dlc (the response was no of course). It sounded like it is up to them that the fix still isn't finished, they were saying something to the effect of "we're almost done but we still have some small stuff like TRC issues". It's about halfway through the day 2 TGS vid.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
aeolist said:
I've been hearing about Castle Crashers for at least 3 years now, maybe longer.

Take that long to develop a game and you should expect serious backlash when it comes out and there are bugs that prevent most people from playing online and even erase some players' save data.
That's what makes this so strange. When I browse Castle Crashers forums most people are either not discussing the bugs or are defending the game and the developers. If there were 250k people with a broken game the backlash would be biblical. So that leaves me to believe the problems aren't universal.

Mohonky

SapientWolf said:
That's what makes this so strange. When I browse Castle Crashers forums most people are either not discussing the bugs or are defending the game and the developers. If there were 250k people with a broken game the backlash would be biblical. So that leaves me to believe the problems aren't universal.

I'm not on the forums backlashing but believe me my copy is fucked. I can't save at all, everytime I play it, I return to play it again later and then nothing, everything straight back to level 1 like I'd never played it to begin with.

How long has the game been out now? Too long for it to basically be unplayable unless I want to sit there for an epic amount of time, complete it in one sitting and then come back to play later and do it all again with a friend.

Brashnir

YagizY said:
Lol at people blaming MS certification. So this isn't Behemoth's fault entirely because "they are a small developer?" They wrote the shitty code for the game, balls in their court. They made a mistake, it's their fault.

GAF likes the Behemoth. GAF does not like Microsoft. Blame always goes to the party least liked if possible.

FightyF

Banned
As others have said here, once the game is patched I'll pick it up as well.

So if they're happy about the sales numbers...they should realize that it can go much higher when they release a patch that makes it a working game. So get crackin Behemoth!

I'll definitely start playing again if the game ever gets patched, but let's be honest. Most people have moved on and won't come back for it, that's just the way XBLA and a lot of online gaming in general works... out with the old in with the new. The online community is going to be a shadow of what it could have been had multiplayer been working on day one.

Maybe i'm just a pessimist and will be wrong about this. It was launched at a great time and I just feel like they've already missed the opportunity for the multiplayer community to flourish. Everybody was onboard at launch trying to get games to work but getting frustrated at the network drops and save bugs... now there are a dozen other new multiplayer games out competing for everyone's attention and people have played the singleplayer mode to death while waiting.

For the record I place the blame equally on Behemoth and Microsoft's shoulders. Developers shouldn't blame the publisher for their product not working and publishers need to not pass games that don't work, it's that simple.

Having gotten all preachy here... let me say I really loved this game and hope enough people come back so we can have some good multiplayer pick-up games, help each other get some obscure weapons and level up some of those unlockable characters.

xbhaskarx

wayward archer said:
I'll definitely start playing again if the game ever gets patched, but let's be honest. Most people have moved on and won't come back for it, that's just the way XBLA and a lot of online gaming in general works... out with the old in with the new. The online community is going to be a shadow of what it could have been had multiplayer been working on day one.

This is very true.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, it's kinda disappointing that such a great game is marred by the bugs. I was looking forward to this game so much as a kind of spiritual successor to Guardian Heroes, and for the most part, I got loads of entertainment value out of it.

Lucky for me, I got to play four player co-op locally, so the online bugs didn't affect me as much as others who only had online co-op as their multiplayer option.

That being said, after spending so much time with the game and looking into its game mechanics, I'm a little underwhelemed by the gameplay and depth. The combo system is kinda silly, since at high levels you are only doing infinite air combos to normal enemies since those are the most effective (or least ineffective? Heh.). There is only one combo that integrates magic (it has its uses, but is gimped for some characters), and no combo that incorporates arrows, or anything else for that matter.

The character selection is also lacking in variety. Most of them are the same, and the only thing that separates them is the magic (And even then, most characters just have that arrow rain spell, or a multi-hit shockwave spell, with slight graphical differences). If you're talking effectiveness, the only characters really worth using are the Red Knight (electricity magic stun lock), Blue Knight (freezing capability and freezing magic combo), and Industrialist/Fencer (boss-raping buzzsaw magic). Everyone else sucks by comparison.

One more thing - the way you gain EXP is stupid. You get EXP per every hit you do on a live enemy. I guess this was their way of allowing EXP to be more evenly spread out, or to prevent kill stealing or something, but it's kinda weird. The fastest way to level up is to equip the lowest strength weapon and just keep hitting groups of enemies over and over. (Actually, the fastest way to level up is to exploit a glitch of this EXP per hit mechanic using the boomerang).

None of this was a problem when I was first playing the game and didn't really know much about the gameplay mechanics. Nor is it a problem for most of my friends who play it for fun and don't care. I know it's nitpicking, but that's just what my thoughts are about this game after playing for a while. I still enjoy it and think it's an above average, B+ level game.

Edwood

Fuck Behemoth and their developers. If they don't patch Castle Crashers I'm boycotting them.

How about a class action lawsuit if they don't get their shit together? Maybe that will motivate them more.

Wurm

Banned
I'd also agree I feel ripped off by the 1200 points charge. Game did not have enough replayability at all, and with online completely borked and the frankly awful Vs modes, I'm astounded the whole thing took 3 years to make to be honest.

I think its not only their awful "oh hay is the game broken? we were onna plane to PAX..." amateur time management, but its the fact they also pulled the age old digital distribution classic of holding content back for DLC later down the line with other characters locked. Of course it took them 2 weeks after intrepid GameFAQs warriors broke the game over their knees completing the game with every character to admit these already shown characters couldnt be unlocked. Thats what tipped my view of "hey maybe they'll fix it" to "fuck these guys".

MMaRsu

Banned
Wurm said:
I'd also agree I feel ripped off by the 1200 points charge. Game did not have enough replayability at all, and with online completely borked and the frankly awful Vs modes, I'm astounded the whole thing took 3 years to make to be honest.

I think its not only their awful "oh hay is the game broken? we were onna plane to PAX..." amateur time management, but its the fact they also pulled the age old digital distribution classic of holding content back for DLC later down the line with other characters locked. Of course it took them 2 weeks after intrepid GameFAQs warriors broke the game over their knees completing the game with every character to admit these already shown characters couldnt be unlocked. Thats what tipped my view of "hey maybe they'll fix it" to "fuck these guys".

/Agreed

Although I had alot of fun playing it offline in coop. Still, I bought the game to play online with gaffers ( you fuckers convinced me!! ) and oh well, pretty much a ripoff at 1200 MS points.

Wizpig

I sure know that I don't give a fuck about the game anymore.
Fixes coming my ass, the game came out this summer, it's October guys, maybe you didn't notice; enjoy your money [since you obviously seem to enjoy telling us you made a lot of money] and i'll be sure not to buy your next game if it has online gameplay.

Probably my biggest disappointment about videogames ever, so yeah, i'm still butthurt, sorry.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
MMaRsu said:
/Agreed

Although I had alot of fun playing it offline in coop. Still, I bought the game to play online with gaffers ( you fuckers convinced me!! ) and oh well, pretty much a ripoff at 1200 MS points.
This. I bought as soon as I got home from PAX, thinking that the rumors of a broken netcode were exaggerated, at least a little. I definitely wasn't expecting 4p to never work, 3p to hardly ever work for longer than one level, and 2p to only work 75% of the time.

Such a shame considering how much fun the game actually is.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
What do you guys think will come out first, DLC or the patch? Do they have the audacity to release DLC first? :lol

suffah said:
What do you guys think will come out first, DLC or the patch? Do they have the audacity to release DLC first? :lol
It makes business sense to release the DLC after more people are capable of actually playing the game.

I'll tell you this, though. Unless the DLC is something really amazing, like a host of new levels and bosses, Behemoth can go fuck themselves.

suffah said:

In a perfect world they'd release the patch and also announce that the first DLC pack will be free, as an apology to the community for the troubles the game has had.

No way will I be buying DLC for this game (until reparations are made)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
suffah said:
:lol I can see it now...

CC Dev Blog Update said:
WONDER HAS BEEN ACHIEVED!

That's right, folks, the time that everyone has waited for has finally come! Tonight at 3AM PST, you'll be able to download the first ever CASTLE CRASHERS DLC!!! This download will unlock two AMAZING new characters - the King and the Necromancer! As well as a new weapon - the CHAINSAW!

We have had this DLC ready for some time, and we figured why wait when our fans are clamoring for more? So we did our best to make it happen fast and HERE IT IS!

And for those wanting info on the Title Update, no worries! The head of the development team e-mailed me last week from Maui to assure me that they will be working on it ASAP when they return! So it is COMING SOON!

X26

Banned
I usally hate game-related lawsuits as most are baseless money grabs, but seeing as how 4player online play was the big selling point and was plastered on all the game's media, I wouldn't mind seeing someone go after them trying to get people who bought this a partial refund.

Top Bottom