• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Complete Resident Evil Timeline Explained

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Resident Evil franchise has a sprawling timeline that interweaves its complex narrative across seven mainline games, a handful of spin-offs, and countless DLC expansions. But how does it all tie together?

From the convoluted creation of the Umbrella Corporation through to the swampland horror of Resident Evil 7 via Chris Redfield’s boulder-punching antics in Resident Evil 5, this is the complete timeline of Resident Evil.

D.Final

Banned

The Resident Evil franchise has a sprawling timeline that interweaves its complex narrative across seven mainline games, a handful of spin-offs, and countless DLC expansions. But how does it all tie together?

From the convoluted creation of the Umbrella Corporation through to the swampland horror of Resident Evil 7 via Chris Redfield’s boulder-punching antics in Resident Evil 5, this is the complete timeline of Resident Evil.

Huge work here

Geki-D

Banned
What’s more convoluted, the game series storyline or the movie series storyline?
You mean the live action movies with Alice? Because the CGI ones are canon to the games, so they're already a part of the same storyline.

The games are way more convoluted to the point of being dumb, I can't really think of many other fictional universes this inflated with sheer stupid. Videos like these really do show us why Capcom need to nuke everything set after RE3 and start over from there.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Before we venture deep into the twisted nightmare of Resident Evil Village, here's a (very condensed) refresher on the entire Resident Evil series up to this point.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Resident Evil franchise has a sprawling timeline that interweaves its complex narrative across 8 mainline games, a handful of spin-offs, and countless DLC expansions. But how does it all tie together?

00:00 - Intro
00:50 - Mother Miranda
02:34 - Umbrella’s Origins
06:11 - The Ashfords
07:42 - James Marcus
08:33 - S.T.A.R.S.
11:02 - Resident Evil 0
13:31 - Resident Evil
15:10 - Resident Evil 3 Nemesis
16:37 - Resident Evil 2
19:45 - Resident Evil 3 Again
20:39 - Resident Evil Code Veronica
22:54 - Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
23:57 - Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles
25:17 - Resident Evil 4
27:15 - Resident Evil Revelations
28:25 - Resident Evil Degeneration
28:59 - Resident Evil Infinite Darkness
29:54 - Resident Evil 5 Lost In Nightmares
30:35 - Resident Evil 5
32:16 - Resident Evil Revelations 2
34:02 - Resident Evil Damnation
34:39 - Resident Evil 6
37:13 - Resident Evil Vendetta
38:08 - Resident Evil 7
40:07 - Resident Evil Village
43:28 - Shadows Of Rose

From the convoluted creation of the Umbrella Corporation through to the gothic horror of Resident Evil Village via Chris Redfield’s boulder-punching antics in Resident Evil 5, this video breaks down the wild timeline of the Resident Evil franchise.

Last edited:
The timeline is Jill sandwiches, Chris punching borders to death, Leon blocking chainsaws with a pocket knife and Wesker dying over and over, but it never sticking.

What else do you need to know?

Arachnid

I love this series, but you hardly need to follow the story from the beginning to get it. 90% of the time, they just toss out existing story threads in favor of something new and shiny anyways. Most important story bits are confined to a single game or two. Metal Gear, it is not.

All you need to know is that people get caught in weird biohazardous outbreaks that create a variety of monsters, and do their best to survive/contain it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Capcom basically gave up on a meaningful and intersting RE story after CV - and that was over 20 years ago. I have my doubts it's ever going to get somewhere again. They really cornered themselves with where they went after CV.
Going on with the Remakes would actually give them then chance to get everything in order again. The upcoming RE4 is certainly going to tie and fit in more with the RE2 Remake than the original RE4 did with RE2 - and from RE4 on they could continue getting everything after that into order again.

Capcom chasing popular Western Games during the 360/PS3 generation is what led to the series story going awry. Now is their chance to fix it again.

Last edited:

consoul

Friendly reminder that the Biohazard stage shows are also canon.

Given the games are canon, sentient tofu is totally cool.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought VII and Village had a good story. It took a break from the operations of the founding cast and focused on Ethan. It still dealt with the effects of what was happening in the rest of the world due to the virus. The Bakers and their tragedy was sad, but interesting. I’m a fan of the original four games, so I’m enjoying this franchise a lot atm. RE5 needs a remake to make it scarier. I’m excited for 4 Remake.

Top Bottom