• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The culture of clients paying tips and a percentage of the tip going to the business

Why is this still a thing in 2021?

If an employee has given great enough service to deserve a tip, how is the business entitled to it? The amount of repeat business that comes from great service is exponential.

Also, why is a tip expected from the customer anyway? To finance wages? I know it runs much deeper than that, but the system that demands hard workers to relinquish their hard earned cash at the end of the chain is completely fucked.

Tipping culture is no better than slavery. It's a third world concept.

Tipping should only be an opt in thing and go straight to the server. Not every cunt taking chunks along the way

Last edited:

Doom85

Tipping culture is no better than slavery.

Stare Blinking GIF by MOODMAN

Well, you’re most certainly a contender for Gaf’s biggest “bruh” moment this year…..

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

If an employee has given great enough service to deserve a tip, how is the business entitled to it? The amount of repeat business that comes from great service is exponential.

Also, why is a tip expected from the customer anyway? To finance wages? I know it runs much deeper than that, but the system that demands hard workers to relinquish their hard earned cash at the end of the chain is completely fucked.

Tipping should only be an opt in thing and go straight to the server. Not every cunt taking chunks along the way

Tipping (the American tradition) is actually rooted in post civil war America and slavery.

You're exaggerating but I agree with one thing,tips belong to the staff who provided good service.

I agree

But hospitality in the US is based on customers subsiding wages with tips, when it's the duty of the business to dutifully recompense their employees for their efforts

At least it is in the developed world

And then a lot take a cut anyway. It's Double Jeopardy for the service industry

Last edited:
Yep! I was just expounding on it. There's a whole history of why tipping is the way it is in America... But many don't know its roots stem from slavery and reconstruction and, ultimately, Jim Crow. The practice was so pervasive that it became the de facto standard in the restaurant industry.

How much I would love a reform. It's not right

You don't tip your personal trainer for being great

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
How much I would love a reform. It's not right

You don't tip your personal trainer for being great

It's too bad people don't see how it's wrong. You get a tip, you should keep it! Not give a percentage away to your boss who wasn't out there with serving with you. TF?!

I feel this post won't get more engagement because some feel service workers are beneath them because they don't work in an office or something making 6 figures.

It's too bad people don't see how it's wrong. You get a tip, you should keep it! Not give a percentage away to your boss who wasn't out there with serving with you. TF?!

I feel this post won't get more engagement because some feel service workers are beneath them because they don't work in an office or something making 6 figures.

It's also one of the reasons the hospitality industry wages are kept low, because a % of the wage is factored in from tips. Of which the employer keeps a percentage of wtf? I don't know how they survive

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Canada is the same as US.

For you people living in countries with no tips, get this. Not only do servers and taxi drivers want you to tip them 15-20%, but tip culture has spread so wide even convenience store and gas station clerks put tip jars on the counter. So when you buy gas or a chocolate bar they hope you tip them.

Canada is the same as US.

For you people living in countries with no tips, get this. Not only do servers and taxi drivers want you to tip them 15-20%, but tip culture has spread so wide even convenience store and gas station clerks put tip jars on the counter. So when you buy gas or a chocolate bar they hope you tip them.

It's a systemic issue, and it's getting worse

It's only a matter of time till Canada becomes a third world country like USA

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's also one of the reasons the hospitality industry wages are kept low, because a % of the wage is factored in from tips. Of which the employer keeps a percentage of wtf? I don't know how they survive

Me neither. Their wages are KEPT low ... They NEED tips to live. It just makes no sense.

Here's a novel idea, subtract money if you're a shit employee, keep a standard wage if you're good or better. Give a bonus if you're great

Last edited:

BigBooper

Because of tradition.
Because waiters don't want it gone.
Because restaurants don't want it gone.
Because the restaurant lobby don't want it gone.
Because lawmakers don't want to touch anything that will harm the "poor underpaid" wait staff.

It's a legal quagmire.

AmuroChan

I generally always tip in cash. That way the person doesn't have to report it to their employer and they keep 100% of it. Even for services like DoorDash and Uber Eats, I tip the delivery person in cash when they arrive, not via the app.

K' Dash

I live on a third world country and there's no tipping here.

You could live by yourself with a waiter wage.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Here's a novel idea, subtract money if you're a shit employee,

That's a terrible idea and will give employers an excuse to underpay their staff. Would also be terrible for moral.

If you're performing badly you should get a warning. If you're still performing badly then you should be put on a performance plan with a formal warning. If you still don't improve after that, then you're employer can terminate your contract.

Hari Seldon

Tipping is why good quality restaurants have quality servers and shit quality restaurants have the dogshit ones. I lean toward leaving it as I suspect service is better, but don't really care much either way cause I'd rather do takeout 10 out of 10 times. The servers are the ones that want to keep it, they make waaaay more money.

down 2 orth

It's a systemic issue, and it's getting worse

It's only a matter of time till Canada becomes a third world country like USA

Yeah this isn't twenty years ago, Canada is already well on its way to overtaking the US in slum scenes and corruption. I'd take many third world airports over Toronto Pearson, or many third world highways over those of Montreal. Holy fuck is Canada ever losing its edge.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
I generally always tip in cash. That way the person doesn't have to report it to their employer and they keep 100% of it. Even for services like DoorDash and Uber Eats, I tip the delivery person in cash when they arrive, not via the app.
They 100% do have to report it to their employer. Otherwise the IRS are going to be paying them a visit.

Tams

Imagine
this is why you're getting the secret sauce and spices everywhere you go
iiisaruhf2muh6fmbei73f3vg2wll67v.jpg
Nah, I just don't live nor plan to go to North America.

I went to Canada once. Mostly cooked for myself.

Oh, and they probably do that to tipping customers too. Do you really think she'd specially was her hands (let alone properly) for anyone?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Imagine

Nah, I just don't live nor plan to go to North America.

I went to Canada once. Mostly cooked for myself.

Oh, and they probably do that to tipping customers too. Do you really think she'd specially was her hands (let alone properly) for anyone?
I was a busboy and server 30 years ago in Canada and even back then the pay was decent when tips are factored in. Every server just cries poor for pity points claiming every customer tips zero so please give generously.

Never mind the butt scratching above. It's not like the average server is washing their hands every 2 minutes. Just think of all the food, dirty dishes and glasses they touch all night, and then handing other people their food. At best, they wipe their hands on a rag. That's what we did. No time during busy nights to be constantly washing and drying hands.

And nobody cleans the kitchen doors that swing open. Those are the dirtiest doors in the whole place. Just imagine how many grimy hands touch it every day.

And dont forget dirty hands grabbing utensils by the blade part. That goes right into your mouth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom