• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dead Space 4 that we will never see.

It's pretty disappointing the direction the series went. You could tell how much much the corporate clutches got into the game starting with the second and then the mess that the 3rd one became. It legitimately had a ton of potential and just flopped. The first one still holds up well and is up there with some of the best horror games of all time.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Their ideas were good - except for this part:

Ben Wanat imagined Ellie Langford, not Isaac Clarke, as the protagonist of Dead Space 4.

I'll say nope to that one. Don't get me wrong, i.e. I loved Ellie in Dead Space 2 (& some of her scenes were hilarious in the third) but Isaac was the protagonist & it was his journey. Swapping him with Ellie could have also simply appeared like jumping on the female protagonist bandwagon, tbh, i.e. shoehorned in & forced.

In general terms I can only hope Dead Space is revived by another dev at some point in the future & they take into consideration the best parts of the trilogy. EA lost the plot when they made Visceral make a Battlefield game, i.e. experts at third person horror being forced to make a cop centric first person shooter = bad management. Add the Star Wars fiasco on top as icing on the cake & voilà, Visceral went kaput - because of EA. EA were also responsible for the bad co-op idea for Dead Space 3 as well because they were obsessed with making beaucoup moneys & viewed it as 'the' ticket to sell more games.

Basically, fuck EA for their mismanagement of single player franchises.

aevanhoe

Their ideas were good - except for this part:

I'll say nope to that one. Don't get me wrong, i.e. I loved Ellie in Dead Space 2 (& some of her scenes were hilarious in the third) but Isaac was the protagonist & it was his journey. Swapping him with Ellie could have also simply appeared like jumping on the female protagonist bandwagon, tbh, i.e. shoehorned in & forced.

Every time there is mention of a female lead, there is someone who comes to say "no" and then adds "don't get me wrong, I love female lead/female character X/etc BUT...."

Anyway, the first three parts were Isaac's journey and the fourth one wouldn't be Isaac's journey. Why is that forced? Let's imagine they kept making Dead Space games, eventually they could change the main character, like many games do, to give a new perspective on the world/story. So why is 'part 4' the wrong moment to do it?

I like the setting of a graveyard of derelict spaceships surrounding a larger structure, reminds me of the segment Magnetic Rose from the anime film Memories.

It's too bad it never happened, it's weird to think of a series once as popular as Dead Space being totally dead, but never underestimate EA's ability to run something into the ground.

EA lost the plot when they made Visceral make a Battlefield game, i.e. experts at third person horror being forced to make a cop centric first person shooter = bad management.

Yup, tasking them with making a Battlefield game instead of... ya know, Dead Space 4 was just a downright bizarre move.

If it literally wasn't for the cash cow of sports games EA probably would have gone kaput years ago, they are completely poorly managed outside of sports games.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Every time there is mention of a female lead, there is someone who comes to say "no" and then adds "don't get me wrong, I love female lead/female character X/etc BUT...."

Anyway, the first three parts were Isaac's journey and the fourth one wouldn't be Isaac's journey. Why is that forced? Let's imagine they kept making Dead Space games, eventually they could change the main character, like many games do, to give a new perspective on the world/story. So why is 'part 4' the wrong moment to do it?

Well jeez, maybe because Ellie was just the 'girlfriend' figure who merely served as a motivating force for Isaac (save her, win her back etc.) & also the occasional comic relief ("you owe me an eye you bastard!")? Her existence in the story was filler for Isaac's character development, nothing more, i.e. his new love basically, after Nicole croaked.

She just wasn't main character material. It's simply a case of someone looking at the cast & thinking "great, that's a woman right there, so we can make her the main playable character!". It's not 'organic' or a natural progression from Dead Space 3.

I see what you're saying, token female protagonists are in their own way just as bland now as Nathan Drake everyman types and bald space marines were several years ago.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Honestly, I hope we'll never see another Dead Space cuz there's no team good enough to make it now - Visceral is dead for almost a year now and only they could've made DS cuz it's their child which EA unfortunately corrupted and killed with microtransactions, crafting and more action oriented gameplay, even though I liked DS3 more that other people. It looked like Visceral have made the prologue in space and the rest of the game was made by EA's fuckin' CEO and other corporate fuckers and morons cuz as soon as you land on a planet, literally everything goes downhill and shit hits the fan which directed at you. And don't even get me started talking about the goddamn co-op.... fuck...

HgCAiXp.gif

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

If a game's protagonist isn't female they damn well better be transgender. Otherwise, something something something Donald Trump.

Malio

It's terribly sad that we won't see Dead Space 4, but if you have a Wii or a Wii U, do yourself a favor and hunt down a copy of Dead Space: Extraction....it's really great. You can pretend it's Dead Space 4. :(

Last edited:
It's terribly sad that we won't see Dead Space 4, but if you have a Wii or a Wii U, do yourself a favor and hunt down a copy of Dead Space: Extraction....it's really great. You can pretend it's Dead Space 4. :(
ea doesn't care for vr, but I can see it working on vr though.

Top Bottom