• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dungeon Crawler thread.

pachura

Eye of Beholder I & II are my timeless classics from the 16-bit era. I played them to death multiple times, drew level maps in a squared workbook, edited saves in hex editor to get exotic items... loved puzzles with loosing orientation (floor tiles that were rotating you, the compass getting crazy). I once tried running the GBA version on a hacked DS, and it was great until the first fight: they switched from realtime POV to a stupid, turn-based battle on a separate screen... yuck. The whole charm was running away from the bosses backwards and throwing the whole inventory at them in hope of causing any damage and not getting stuck :)

On a similar note, I strongly dislike how in Etrian's Odyssey, the monsters only appear when you enter their location, but are invisible even from the adjacent cell. Wtf.

Dungeon Master was one of the first dungeon crawlers I tried, but it had quite unpolished graphics and a convoluted spell casting system. Never finished it. Ishar I/II/III, on the other hand, had beautiful graphics, and felt more like playing a tabletop RPG; but its open-world structure didn't really click with me (it was too outdoorsy - no dungeons).

But I think that the best overall was Black Crypt. Like an even more polished EOB - with prettier graphics, better spells, better bosses, teleportation through the map etc. Fantastic!

One obscure 16-bit game that I think is not that well known is Perihelion: The Prophecy by Psygnosis. I don't know if it qualifies as a 'dungeon' crawler (it was more urban and not focusing on exploration), but its cyberpunk setting and highly stylized silver&gold graphics really did it for me.

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land for the PS2 is one of my favourite games of all time.

Atlus published another game in Japan for the PS2 called Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo which is set 100 years before the turret game but unfortunately it has never been localised in the West.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Brogue

Slice & Dice
W1nYb2XNHnDQMzLphn_bBwRTrfH5QZrefLAPoJJf4Uu1KQyons4Q8E9vYS60I0L2XmM=w526-h296-rw

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Nice thread. I got a few on my radar that I'm interested in playing:

Kowloon high-school chronicle
maxresdefault.jpg

Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi
Undernauts-EU-release-date.jpeg

Labyrinth of zangetsu
maxresdefault.jpg

Most recent one that I played which featured few elements of dungeon crawling was Tokyo twillight ghost hunters. It was unique in its own sort of way combining a plethora of genres. Quasi dungeon crawling being one of them.

Maybe its just me, but the genre seems to be more dominated by eastern developers these days.

Hudo

Wizardry 8 is probably the pinnacle of the genre.

That being said, the Etrian Odyssey games (especially EO3) have the best OST. But that's a given since Yuzo Koshiro is the composer there.

• Love
Reactions: Isa

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Dungeon Master on Amiga was my first love in this genre, and I've played a ton since. Eye of the Beholder as well on PC.

Thanks for this thread, I've already seen a couple to try out!

Hudo

A bit too heavy on the random encounter, unless modded to arginate the issue.
Yes. You're right. So let me rephrase that: Modded Wizardry 8 is probably the pinnacle of the genre.

I forgot about the encounter rate in vanilla... fucking hell...

If you're looking for something a with a different style to the typical dungeon crawlers then the Mary Skelter games are worth a look.

Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn was also fantastic.

One of my favourites to be honest. Had to start so many games though as the Saturn drains the save rom battery like there's no tomorrow

ReyBrujo

On a similar note, I strongly dislike how in Etrian's Odyssey, the monsters only appear when you enter their location, but are invisible even from the adjacent cell. Wtf.
That being said, the Etrian Odyssey games (especially EO3) have the best OST. But that's a given since Yuzo Koshiro is the composer there.

I hated the random encounters from Etrian as well but maybe because I was still kind of "a gamer" back when the DS was around I didn't mind them, it was somewhat the norm for console RPGs back then. And the OST is really nice, especially if you play them back to back because you notice an improvement, however if you play similar games nowadays the midi tones might feel dated after a while unfortunately. While the Switch got better graphics I like the charm of the DS version, besides the map is larger and you can interact directly with the stylus (it's somewhat clumsy in the Switch version until you get used to using ZR/ZL).

I recommend Labyrinth of Galleria, you can see the enemy icons around (except in some sections due story reasons and when you got some status effects) and the soundtrack is really nice, it got a nice set including jazz and vocals, plus it's as long as all three Etrian together (took me 300 hours to beat while the Etrians took me around 75 hours each).

Nice thread. I got a few on my radar that I'm interested in playing:

Kowloon high-school chronicle
maxresdefault.jpg

Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi
Undernauts-EU-release-date.jpeg

Labyrinth of zangetsu
maxresdefault.jpg

Most recent one that I played which featured few elements of dungeon crawling was Tokyo twillight ghost hunters. It was unique in its own sort of way combining a plethora of genres. Quasi dungeon crawling being one of them.

Maybe its just me, but the genre seems to be more dominated by eastern developers these days.

I bought a copy of Undernauts from Ebay, waiting for it to arrive. And holding on Zangetsu because my backlog is already too long (and P-Qube is known to have aggressive discounts at the Switch store). I will also check Kowloon but unfortunatley it's not in our e-shop at Argentina.

I started getting some dungeon crawlers on SNES, back then I bought Wizardry VI (loved that game), Arcana and Might and Magic 3, and last year I got Eye of the Beholder and Drakkhen.

puUNh7i.jpg

Then on DS I got both Etrian which brought me back to the genre (the map drawing was so well done). And The Dark Spire let you choose between graphics with textures or wireframe (which has its charms, I played it that way).

sxTJ1SU.jpg

By the way, I liked some of The Entire History of RPGs, the beginning is mostly text adventures and dungeon crawlers since those were the precursors of the genre itself.

Wizardry 8 is probably the pinnacle of the genre.

Stumbling my way through Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant are some very of my favorite pc gaming memories. The games were brutally tough, especially in a time before walkthroughs and other online help was easily available.

I never got to play 8, but I’ve watched plenty of let’s plays and reviews since the rise of YouTube. The insane amount of character dialogue was great. But man the early 3d visuals for nearly all games of that era have aged terribly. I missed the beautiful spritework of VII.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Lunacid should be checked out by everyone who enjoys a good, old skool dungeon crawler. No hand holding, amazing music and atmosphere. Very Kings Field-ish, but without the clunky controls. One of the best indies from 2023.

My only issue with this game is there were no bosses when I played.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Hm, that's strange. There were bosses when I played it. Not many, but pretty cool bosses.
Did that come with 1.0 release? I think I had like 12 hours played and no bosses when it was before 1.0 launch.

Hohenheim

Did that come with 1.0 release? I think I had like 12 hours played and no bosses when it was before 1.0 launch.
I've played and finished it very recently, so yeah, maybe the 1.0 version added the bosses.
I never bother with games before they're out of early access.

I’d like to make a controversial nomination for the thread: Doom 64.

capsule_616x353.jpg

I know some here might not think this qualifies, but technically you start level 1 in a dungeon environment and keep going deeper until you reach the deepest depths of hell. I’ve always considered it a dungeon crawler FPS in the multiple times I’ve played it throughout life and it still remains a personal favorite to me.

My wife still play that all the time, no doubt her favorite game.

Too new for me though. My favorite is Dungeon Master on the Amiga. Fantastic game!

There were others from the same era. Chaos Strikes Back of course but also Eye of the Beholder, I played some Black Crypt too.

For ”modern” ones I could recommend Legend of Grimrock, very oldschool and lots of nostalgia for me who grew up with Dungeon Master. Great game!
LOVE LOVE LOVE Wizardry 8. Have on steam deck to replay.

Other good crawls are are ultima underworld (non team, solo 360deg 3d),
Might and magic 3-5 trilogy for grid/turn based , and 6-8 for real time with pause.

Also have the jrpg wizardry games, but they are not the same as Wiz8, Also bought the ps2 tale of the forsaken land, just to own it (before its too expensive).

For console and portable. The Dark Spire on DS was amazing. SMT Strange Journey for sci-fi futuristic/ dark fantasy bent
Etrian odyssey for mapping.

Now Grimrock was fun, but it wasn't as fun as the older games, to me, due to too many puzzles and spongy combat (from what i remember). It seemed more focused on real time puzzles then level progression, story and class cohesion.
Fun if that is what you are into. i was hoping for a more wizardry 8 / might and magic 3-5 type of thing. It was more inspired by dungeon master/eye of the beholder.

I’d like to make a controversial nomination for the thread: Doom 64.

capsule_616x353.jpg

I know some here might not think this qualifies, but technically you start level 1 in a dungeon environment and keep going deeper until you reach the deepest depths of hell. I’ve always considered it a dungeon crawler FPS in the multiple times I’ve played it throughout life and it still remains a personal favorite to me.

I raise you one, DOOM RPG!!! a phone game that unfortunatly is lost to time :( (unless someone here nows how to play it on a phone or pc). There was a wolfenstein one too.

doom-rpg.jpg

WolfRPG+(1).jpg

Top Bottom