• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The EGM "review" of NFL Head Coach -- EA's evil influence good journalism?

border

I doubt that I am the first person to notice or question this, but I didn't see anything else when searching for "EGM" or "Coach"...

EGM's opinion on EA's newest clunker is in the review section, but it's essentially buried as a stealth sidebar to the NCAA Football 07 review. Since both games look the same, anyone just flipping through the review sections looking at scores and screenshots might not even differentiate it as text evaluating a separate game. The background behind the text is the same color as the NCAA review, when normal EGM layout practice is that if there's two reviews on a page then they both have differently colored backgrounds (so that readers can tell there's two different games being reviewed).

The text is not a standard review either -- it's a transcribed dialogue between two editors who slam the shit out of the game, pointing out problems with basically every aspect of NFL Head Coach. If it were an actual review the game would probably be a 5.0 or below, given the tone of the conversation. But there isn't any score at all. The conversation just ends.

Normally, most of EGM's pre-review evaluation goes into the "Reviews Wrap Up" section when they don't have the time to review a game before going to print. This look at Head Coach (as already noted) is in the Reviews section. My knowledge of EGM is somewhat limited (only recently re-subscribed), but as far as I know, no other games have gotten this treatment in the past.

Cynical Explanation -- EGM is kowtowing to Electronic Arts. They are huge a publisher, big purchaser of EGM/Ziff Davis advertising, and the company that gave them this month's multi-page exclusive cover story on Army of Two. Negative text is blended with another more positive review of an EA game, and NFL Head Coach is saved from the humilation of being handed a very subpar score.

Journalistic Integrity Explanation -- EGM doesn't have the resources or time to print a full, fair review (read: none of their editors want to play this piece of crap game, or none of them feel equipped to fairly evaluate an extensive management sim). They still want people to get some evaluation of the title before buying, so they add this text next to a review that most fans of football games will be reading.

Your thoughts? If you subscribe to EGM, did you realize that the "review/opinion dialgoue" was there or did you just mindlessly flip by it after checking out the NCAA 07 scores?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
z56.jpg

skip

border said:
I doubt that I am the first person to notice or question this, but I didn't see anything else when searching for "EGM" or "Coach"...

EGM's opinion on EA's newest clunker is in the review section, but it's essentially buried as a stealth sidebar to the NCAA Football 07 review. Since both games look the same, anyone just flipping through the review sections looking at scores and screenshots might not even differentiate it as text evaluating a separate game. The background behind the text is the same color as the NCAA review, when normal EGM layout practice is that if there's two reviews on a page then they both have differently colored backgrounds (so that readers can tell there's two different games being reviewed).

The text is not a standard review either -- it's a transcribed dialogue between two editors who slam the shit out of the game, pointing out problems with basically every aspect of NFL Head Coach. If it were an actual review the game would probably be a 5.0 or below, given the tone of the conversation. But there isn't any score at all. The conversation just ends.

Normally, most of EGM's pre-review evaluation goes into the "Reviews Wrap Up" section when they don't have the time to review a game before going to print. This look at Head Coach (as already noted) is in the Reviews section. My knowledge of EGM is somewhat limited (only recently re-subscribed), but as far as I know, no other games have gotten this treatment in the past.

Cynical Explanation -- EGM is kowtowing to Electronic Arts. They are huge a publisher, big purchaser of EGM/Ziff Davis advertising, and the company that gave them this month's multi-page exclusive cover story on Army of Two. Negative text is blended with another more positive review of an EA game, and NFL Head Coach is saved from the humilation of being handed a very subpar score.

Journalistic Integrity Explanation -- EGM doesn't have the resources or time to print a full, fair review (read: none of their editors want to play this piece of crap game, or none of them feel equipped to fairly evaluate an extensive management sim). They still want people to get some evaluation of the title before buying, so they add this text next to a review that most fans of football games will be reading.

Your thoughts? If you subscribe to EGM, did you realize that the "review/opinion dialgoue" was there or did you just mindlessly flip by it after checking out the NCAA 07 scores?

the reviews wrap-up is part of the reviews section. head coach essentially got an extended wrap-up treatment in a position closer to a relevant game. no conspiracy here.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
RegularMK said:
am I the only person on this board who likes EGM?

I don't dislike EGM, I actually think their feature PREVIEW is the best part of the mag. It's usually a nice multi-page spread with a good # of screenshots and info, take this one Army of Two... not really my kind of game, but alot of good info was in that preview, enough so that I might actually take a closer look at AoT when it comes out.

I find the reviews to be generally worthless.. but I think that about most reviews almost everywhere these days.

Tokubetsu

My love for EGM went away when they stopped making it huge. Am I the only one who remembers the PS1 days? When egm was like 400 pages and THICK, tons of reviews and previews each issue...=( Everything seemed so much better back then.

border

Is it possible to even mention EGM without someone complaining that they don't publish 400 page tomes anymore? :)

skip said:
head coach essentially got an extended wrap-up treatment in a position closer to a relevant game.
The background color being the exactly the same as the NCAA 07 review is a coincidence or a conscious layout decision? Have any previous games been significant enough to be pushed forward into the middle of the main reviews seciton?

skip

border said:
Is it possible to even mention EGM without someone complaining that they don't publish 400 page tomes anymore? :)

The background color being the exactly the same as the NCAA 07 review is a coincidence or a conscious layout decision? Have any previous games been significant enough to be pushed forward into the middle of the main reviews seciton?

I honestly don't know. wasn't privy to the design process.

SuperPac

border said:

Big ****ing deal. You know it's crap, the text says it's crap. Where is the problem?

border said:
Cynical Explanation -- EGM is kowtowing to Electronic Arts.

Journalistic Integrity Explanation -- EGM doesn't have the resources or time to print a full, fair review so they add this text next to a review that most fans of football games will be reading.

While I don't know for sure (I don't work there anymore and haven't gotten my issue in the mail yet), my guess is that it's neither of your explanations. I look at it as it's just a cheeky way to review a "game" that's not really a "game" in a place where people will at least see it (they'll be reading the NCAA review, then read the dialogue).

Now stop being a ****ing moron looking for conspiracy theories where there aren't any.

Tellaerin

RegularMK said:
am I the only person on this board who likes EGM?

Nah, I like EGM too. I enjoy the articles, and usually come away from the reviews with something useful. Then again, I don't obsess over review scores like a lot of the people here. The main thing for me is reading the review text for information about the game plays, what the game mechanics are like and how well they work. I know my own tastes well enough to judge what I would or wouldn't like based on that. 'A review score ain't nothin' but a number' as far as I'm concerned.

Joe Molotov

Tokubetsu said:
My love for EGM went away when they stopped making it huge. Am I the only one who remembers the PS1 days? When egm was like 400 pages and THICK, tons of reviews and previews each issue...=( Everything seemed so much better back then.

Yeah, and I remember when PC Gamer used to be 400 pages and have like 15 demos in every issue, but that ship's sailed too.

My beef with EGM is that there's few compelling articles to read thru. I blow through them in about 10 minutes, and normally throw them away.

I go to Barnes and Noble to read EDGE magazine, and it takes me like an hour. Tons of articles, truly interesting stuff, and huge reviews. There are fantastic layouts too. And when I do buy an issue, I keep it, their covers are like works of art, like how Next Generation was.

I get EGM in the mail, blow thru it, and throw it away.

LukeSmith

The reason the game wasn't given a formal review in EGM was because EA held the code back and the review would've been over a month late. Having read the text, had it been given the full review treatment the scores would've likely been substantially lower than EGM's NCAA 2007 scores -- additionally, I assume you saw the 1UP Show segment between Bryan and myself where NFL Head Coach was panned -- again (sup Arena scores 5.5,6.0, 5.5; hey MLB scores 5.5, 6.5, 8.0).

It's cute to theorize about the "why" a game was treated a certain why by X magazine or publication, but it's a bit of a leap to assume it's because of some payola or fear of a publisher.

I can't speak for the art designer, or the reviews editor, Greg Ford, as to why NFL Head Coach's review was placed next to NCAA 2007's in the front of the reviews section, but my hunch is that it's because both games are football games, and well, that just makes good sense.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like EGM for their exclusives and features. They are pretty good creatively.

I go to 1up for reviews. EGM's are just too terse.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I go to Barnes and Noble to read EDGE magazine,

You Byrne-Steal EDGE Magazine? What do you do if it's in a bag (which like every other issue is these days)?

Why do people Byrne-Steal magazines? I get Byrne-Stealing comics, you can get the gist of it in like ten seconds, skip to the back, "Oh, Wolverine won. Phew." But like an actual readable magazine?

Isn't an hour of your time at least worth seven bucks as opposed to wasting it in the Starbucks they crammed into the second floor next to the Child Care section?

Let me guess. "SHOTEH FOCK UP!"

:D

BenjaminBirdie said:
You Byrne-Steal EDGE Magazine? What do you do if it's in a bag (which like every other issue is these days)?

Why do people Byrne-Steal magazines? I get Byrne-Stealing comics, you can get the gist of it in like ten seconds, skip to the back, "Oh, Wolverine won. Phew." But like an actual readable magazine?

Isn't an hour of your time at least worth seven bucks as opposed to wasting it in the Starbucks they crammed into the second floor next to the Child Care section?

Let me guess. "SHOTEH FOCK UP!"

:D

Sorry I struck a nerve.

I'll go to B&N right now and BUY a copy of EDGE, I've been waiting for the new one to come out anyway.

border

Scoot said:
It's cute to theorize about the "why" a game was treated a certain why by X magazine or publication, but it's a bit of a leap to assume it's because of some payola or fear of a publisher.
I probably wouldn't have thought much of it, had the background colors been different. Keeping them the same blends the texts together and goes against the layout conventions of the Reviews section to the point where it was weirdly suspicious. Plus I had totally skipped over the review and didn't even remember that it should have been there until I remembered that a near-complete version had been featured on 1Up Show.

So is a review forthcoming or is the negative dialogue the end of it?

EGM's method of reviewing is neither wrong nor right. It's their method, and they can really do whatever they want. If that dialogue is all the game deserves in their mind, then so be it. You can read many reviews elsewhere or even listen to that 1up podcast.

Would 55 words in the wrap up section seem less sinister to you, or more? What if the game wasn't covered at all?

Seems like a frank discussion of the game's faults RIGHT NEXT to the NCAA review is the best way to look out for the consumer to me...not sure why you're so obsessed with what the background color was...

border

Awww crap, just now realized that this should have been "The EGM "review" of NFL Head Coach -- EA's evil influence or good journalism?" The "or" bit got cut off by a cut n' paste that made the header too long, and I forgot to re-insert it. The mistake makes the subject line a little more one-sided :lol
rod furlong said:
not sure why you're so obsessed with what the background color was...
Not obsession so much as it is the final thing that really tilted me in favor of making this post, rather than brushing it off.

border said:
Not obsession so much as it is the final thing that really tilted me in favor of making this post, rather than brushing it off.

ok...next time EGM should use some kind of police tape background treatment with a "EA sports game sucks royal!" starburst... ;)

Tokubetsu said:
I'm still subscribed, but I do miss the good 'ol days when it actually took me a solid amount of time to read through an issue. The old previews format was better too, IMO.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Someone actually reads EGM reviews? WTF is wrong with you. I thought everyone just reads the score and bitches about it on GAF

Oh wait, there was no score, was there. I guess this is an exception

Top Bottom