• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse (SyFy) Trailer #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/09/expanse-trailer

Show is looking better with each Trailer, might actually do the source material some justice and produce a good space opera. Starting to feel better about the casting choices too, Avasarala and Fred in particular seem very well suited.

Edit:

Aiii

So not worth it
Looks surprisingly high budget for a Sy-Fy show.

Yeah, they're going in big on this show. There were other producers wanting to get this series' rights, so SyFy had to go in big during a bidding war and a 10-epidode straight to series order.

Yeah, they're going in big on this show. There were other producers wanting to get this series' rights, so SyFy had to go in big during a bidding war and a 10-epidode straight to series order.

I'm happy to see them do relatively high budget sci-fi shows again.

Consider me hyped.

I've only gotten through half of the first book. They've definitely taken some liberties with the casting choices and there distinct lack of appearance that the Belters had. Still, it looks like Syfy put a lot of work into this show and even the cgi looks fairly decent.

Seanspeed

Banned
This really could be awesome. The books are great and it seems like they're throwing some production values in this.

Belters vs Humans should be more distinct than they'll probably show, but still, I'm really looking forward to this. After reading the books, there was nothing more apparent to me than, "This shit needs to be made into film." Shit is just straight Hollywood, but also a genuinely good sci-fi story, too.

DBT85

Am I wrong to assume that SyFy will cancel this after about 3-4 seasons because it'll cost too much, and they'll do so after the filming has wrapped and we'll all be left going "for fucks sake" again?

Paganmoon

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh6m8rwiT-Q

First trailer (with the poor colors) almost killed any hype I had for the show. But the recent ones have really changed my mind. They look so much better, colorwise etc.

Am I wrong to assume that SyFy will cancel this after about 3-4 seasons because it'll cost too much, and they'll do so after the filming has wrapped and we'll all be left going "for fucks sake" again?

I think they're expecting to make a lot of money on this, so I'm thinking they're not going to give it the "sy-fy treatment". It shows in that they didn't order a pilot, but a full season right from the start.

Aiii

So not worth it

No, you're not wrong.

Though it depends entirely on the ratings, the earnings made on deals outside of the US, the popularity on VOD services, etc. They want to turn it into the next BSG, so if it's as popular as that was, it should be fine. If it tanks, it'll be done soon enough.

The fact that the books are quite popular should help a bit in the beginning, at least.

Moff

everything I hated about the first trailer looks much better. great colors and miller loses his ridicoulus hat to reveal a crazy haircut

Wiktor

Pretty hyped about it. The novels always felt like something designed or live-action.

Also..upcoming Magicians also look pretty expensive for SyFy. Nice to see them throwing a bit more money around.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I've only gotten through half of the first book. They've definitely taken some liberties with the casting choices and there distinct lack of appearance that the Belters had. Still, it looks like Syfy put a lot of work into this show and even the cgi looks fairly decent.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the first book after you're finished. I read it and thought it was shit so I haven't checked out any of the other novels in the series. It also means I have low expectations coming from the TV show.

Possibly. They might end up doing 3 full seasons and a short 4th season even though the show was planned for a 5 season run from the very start... like they're doing with Continuum.

Wish they could have figured out a way to make the Belters look more distinct. I guess they're ignoring that part from the books.

I'm always up for anything that has Jared Harris in it.

But what I REALLY dislike is how they advertise that it comes from "the writers of Children of Men", when Alfonso Cuaron himself stated that those guys had nothing to do with his movie. They provided the early script but Cuaron completely rewrote it. Their names were basically forced onto the project.

Lemonte

I liked Stargate Universe so they cancelled it
I liked Ascension so they cancelled it
This looks pretty interesting too so they are going to cancel it after a season or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom