• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards will reveal it's GOTY nominees in ~2 hours. What do you think makes the cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
6 games will make the cut for GOTY.

Also, because there seems to be a misunderstanding on this every year, Geoff does not choose these nominees. These nominees are voted on by over 100 media outlets across the globe and then compiled into the final GOTY list.

So in one of the very best years in gaming history, who makes the cut?

I'm predicting:
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Alan Wake II
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Baldur's Gate III
  • Starfield
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Little Mac

Gold Member
So in one of the very best years in gaming history

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

graywolf323

6 games will make the cut for GOTY.

Also, because there seems to be a misunderstanding on this every year, Geoff does not choose these nominees. These nominees are voted on by over 100 media outlets across the globe and then compiled into the final GOTY list.

So in one of the very best years in gaming history, who makes the cut?

I'm predicting:
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Alan Wake II
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Baldur's Gate III
  • Starfield
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
I don’t think Starfield would make it over RE4 Remake unless the Game Awards have rules against remakes?

though don’t they usually have at least one indie game? in which case it’s likely Dave the Diver (or maybe even Sea of Stars) makes the cut

Astray

Gold Member
I'd be surprised if either Starfield or RE4make make it tbh.

The 1st has basically vanished from all conversations, even the ppl who bash it have kinda moved onto new things. RE4 remake, as good as it is, is ultimately a beat-for-beat remake of an already bonafide classic, there's nothing really new about it that deserves special commendation like that.

I can see Spider-Man 2 getting nominated out of sheer popularity (and recency bias), but I don't see it winning for the same reasons (it's an extremely good iterative sequel, but it's nothing game-changing in terms of game-design and mechanics).

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

My guess:

-Hogwarts Legacy
-Zelda TotK
-Baldur’s Gate 3 (which will be the easy winner)
-Spider-Man 2
-Mario Wonder
-Alan Wake 2

And I honestly think it’s sad if any remake gets nominated, no matter how good they are.

Tsaki

My list from the other thread
Baldur's Gate 3, Zelda TotK, Mario Wonder, Spiderman 2. These seem pretty locked I think.

For the other 2 spots: Alan Wake 2, Resident Evil 4, Street Fighter 6. RE4 is a remake so it lowers its chances and it will be between it and AW2 to take a spot. SF6 has a higher chance to be in than these two but it's also a fighting game so that lowers its appeal sadly.

Honorable mentions for Final Fantasy 16 and Hi-Fi-Rush, if the jury feels extra spicy.

All I know is BG3, Zelda, Mario Wonder, Spider-man 2, Hogwarts Legacy, Alan Wake 2, Dead Space, RE4, Sea of Stars, Street Fighter and FFXVI deserve to get nominated for GOTY over Starfailed. So unless there's 12 slots, it better not be in there. ha!

Here's mine:
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Sea of Stars
If remakes don't count then Super Mario Bros. Wonder takes Resi' spot.

Actually there needs to be an indie so I'm leaving RE4 out from my list of nominees.

Last edited:

Denton

What I would like it to be:

Jagged Alliance 3
Baldur's Gate 3
Alan Wake 2
Phantom Liberty
Atomic Heart
Robocop Rogue City

What it will be:

Zelda
Mario
BG3
AW2
Spidey 2
Starfield

Atrus

Gold Member
Does it matter if you can tell who the winner is before reading the spoiler below?

Baldur’s Gate 3

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Can we get another thread letting us know theyre coming up in an hour?

And then another thread when there's 30 minutes left?

tommib

I would be very surprised to see Hogwarts nominated for anything for obvious reasons.
I will be super surprised if Starfield ends on on the list.
Don't underestimate the voting influence of a trillion dollar company. Pretty sure Starfield will be on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom