• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum announced for consoles and PC

Fbh

LotR-Gollum_03-25-19.jpg

Daedalic Entertainment has announced The Lord of the Rings: Gollum, an action adventure game that follows Gollum from The Lord of the Rings after he acquired the One Ring, but before the events of the novels and films. It will be released for PC and “all relevant console platforms at that time” in 2021.

“Our goal was to present a storytelling experience,” said Daedalic Entertainment CEO and co-founder Carsten Fichtelmann. “About four years ago, I caught Middle-earth Enterprises in Berkeley, maybe like Peter Jackson did 20 years ago, and I said we’re interested in licensing Lord of the Rings. After some negotiations, it was clear that the Tolkien estate looked for a company that was capable of doing something which is more story-orientated than some of the other products that came out over the last years.”

According to Fitchelmann, Daedalic does not plan to go “too deep into the uncanny valley” by making hyper-realistic games. “When it comes to shapes, colors, we definitely try to produce something that is a statement,” he said.
Source: Gematsu

OK I guess? Of all the things one could make with LOTR this seems like a weird choice.

hey! neat!

I wonder if how much of the gameplay will be gollum or if any of the story will be smeagol

Last edited:
Two years out from the planned release, the studio is still deciding how to approach fundamentals like mechanics and graphical style.

“It would be a good fit for a character like Gollum to do something with stealth,” Fichtelmann says. “This is so obvious that we can already reveal it…"

“I definitely think we could come up with [something] based on that conflict, two personalities talking to him constantly. Feature-wise, we can bring that conflict to the controls, which means the game reacts to the player, and the player playing both characters at the same time, more or less.”

The story “is not going to be the trademark moments you know from the movies,” according to project manager Jonas Hüsges. He also points out it breaks away from the traditional fantasy by giving it a different face.

“He’s not your typical hero that comes to a place and is cheered on, he’s always sort of treated with a mixture pity and disgust.”

rockpapershotgun

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I love me some LotR and I am kind of excited that a “point & click” adventure game company is handling the licence for the first time in forever. Although, I have never played one of their games before. I think I’ve heard The Dark Eye ones are pretty good.

Top Bottom