• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Key Facts:

- Prequel to Peter Jacksons LotR trilogy
- 2D animation
- Central character is Helm Hammerhand
- Director: Kenji Kamiyama
- Producer: Joseph Chou
- Release date: April 12th, 2024 (theatrical release)
- No relation to The Rings of Power

Official concept art:

The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-War-of-the-Rohirrim-Variety-Exclusive-FULL-1024x435.webp

0246-lotr-breachedoraswalls-01b-nologos5-1644878637988.jpg

tumblr_owe2c0RUpT1sfsyp8o2_500.gifv

7a2bdd68-145b-4ba0-b8f8-210e4c300a65_text.gif

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's funny how Peter Jackson took time to post about this, but has remained mum about Rings of Power.

I'm sure you're trying to insinuate some kind of "anti-woke" motive or agenda there, but the reality is that there's bad blood between Jackson and the series because Jackson offered to have Weta Workshop do the show to maintain a visual continuity, but Amazon refused. There's suspicion that the Tolkien Estate was behind Amazon's refusal because there's bad blood there between the Estate and Jackson over the original movies.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Just like the Prime series, just comes across as made up fan fiction. For that reason, I'm personally not sold on the idea.

GeekyDad

...there's bad blood there between the Estate and Jackson over the original movies.
Seriously?! Why? I've read so much Tolkien in my lifetime, it's ridiculous, and though the original trilogy might not have been perfect, it sure as hell was pretty damned close. That's sad to hear.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Seriously?! Why? I've read so much Tolkien in my lifetime, it's ridiculous, and though the original trilogy might not have been perfect, it sure as hell was pretty damned close. That's sad to hear.
The Estate had nothing to do with the movies except get paid. Christopher Tolkien objected to them being made but it was out of their control since they didn’t control the film rights. The Estate is involved with the Amazon series.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
The Estate had nothing to do with the movies except get paid. Christopher Tolkien objected to them being made but it was out of their control since they didn’t control the film rights. The Estate is involved with the Amazon series.
And it will not be made for 15 to 25-year-olds? Guess they got used to the money that demo brings in ...

thefool

Kamiyama during the last blood-sac-moribito phase really looked like a star in the making but his career really fizzled since it.

This weird mishmash of americanization with some japanese talent to produce a strange product resembling anime is rarely interesting (animatrix being the exception i suppose).

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

The Estate was allegedly really unhappy about how the movies turned out: https://www.indiewire.com/2013/01/c...k-beauty-and-seriousness-of-the-books-102485/

There is probably a part of it that comes from simply greed: Tolkien Estate does not have the rights to film adaptations, Tolkien sold it himself for 100 000 GBP back in the day. Yes, it's super convoluted, but basically the original LotR movie rights are not theirs, on the other hand everything else is i.e. Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc.

lachesis

I honestly can't really see this being 2D anime..., unless you have somehow brought back an army of Miura Kentaro from grave with some sort of black magic.
Nevertheless - would love to see what come out of this project.

ManaByte

Gold Member
He is at least tangentially involved in one and not in the other?

Only because the anime is being produced by WB, who (AT THE MOMENT) has the movie rights and thus this is derived from his movies.

But apparently the movie rights are going up for sale soon and I'm pretty sure Bezos will grab them to make new LOTR movies on Prime.

Kimahri

Banned
I'm sure you're trying to insinuate some kind of "anti-woke" motive or agenda there, but the reality is that there's bad blood between Jackson and the series because Jackson offered to have Weta Workshop do the show to maintain a visual continuity, but Amazon refused. There's suspicion that the Tolkien Estate was behind Amazon's refusal because there's bad blood there between the Estate and Jackson over the original movies.
You need to go out and breathe some fresh air and stop looking for shit that ain't there.

BigBooper

Who cares what the estate wants, really? The books were written 70 years ago, so even if his daughter helped with some ideas and production, people change a lot in 70 years.

Anyone with discernment and some intelligence can read the original books and determine what is not in line with those.

I'm curious how this one will go. It at least interests me at first glance more than Amazon's.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I can't get excited about a couple of pieces of art and the newest GITS was one of the worst pieces of shit anime I have ever seen so I can't get excited over Kenji Kamiyama's name.

I'm holding out hope that this is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see some footage, but here is a panel with the creators.

Take it with a grain of salt. Bounding Into Comics is trash tier.
I wouldn't doubt this is authentic. They're doing a pretty good job of destroying Lord of the Rings.

Have you seen the recent WOTC card game? They race swapped Aragorn and Gandalf. Yes, they're both black now. And there's only one reason they would do something like that of course.

Christopher Tolkien was very protective of the IP. It's a shame he's not around anymore.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I wouldn't doubt this is authentic. They're doing a pretty good job of destroying Lord of the Rings.

Have you seen the recent WOTC card game? They race swapped Aragorn and Gandalf. Yes, they're both black now. And there's only one reason they would do something like that of course.

Christopher Tolkien was very protective of the IP. It's a shame he's not around anymore.
Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence that this milking began right after his retirement and death.

A lot of people hated how stingy Chris was with the IP. But I always respected jt.

Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence that this milking began right after his retirement and death.

A lot of people hated how stingy Chris was with the IP. But I always respected jt.
I don't think he was stingy at all. I think he was just actually protective and more people should be like this regarding their families IPs or whatever

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Female main character, not named by Tolkien. That says it all.
I really liked Eowyn, so I'm trying to keep an open mind and be optimistic but it's so damn hard :( Especially with that character description of Hera :messenger_pensive:

If I'm remembering correctly, Walsh and Boyens also wanted to whack Arwen on the battlements of Helms Deep — so maybe this is their second chance.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I really liked Eowyn, so I'm trying to keep an open mind and be optimistic but it's so damn hard :( Especially with that character description of Hera :messenger_pensive:

If I'm remembering correctly, Walsh and Boyens also wanted to whack Arwen on the battlements of Helms Deep — so maybe this is their second chance.
They didn't just WANT to, they DID, and later edited her out.

I'm always bemused when women creators just stick women in place of men, in terms of combat skill and general bloodlust, into their projects rather than actually leverage feminine skills to tell an authentic story. They WAAAAAAAAY over emphasize any sword swinging prowess of a Joan de Arc or Boudicca in lieu of the motivational and strategic capabilities those folks may have actually possessed.

That they say she is drawn from Athelflead gives me more hope that she is a strong LEADER, moreso than a sword twirling beheader of orcs, though naturally we will have to endure some of that I'm sure. Nothing pleases me more than to see a 110 pound waif casually raise her arm up and stop cold a 15 pound war axe being delivered full force by a 250 pound brute in mid stroke. But who knows, maybe she will be a crossfit brick shit house with thighs like a hamster.

DKehoe

They didn't just WANT to, they DID, and later edited her out.

I'm always bemused when women creators just stick women in place of men, in terms of combat skill and general bloodlust, into their projects rather than actually leverage feminine skills to tell an authentic story. They WAAAAAAAAY over emphasize any sword swinging prowess of a Joan de Arc or Boudicca in lieu of the motivational and strategic capabilities those folks may have actually possessed.

That they say she is drawn from Athelflead gives me more hope that she is a strong LEADER, moreso than a sword twirling beheader of orcs, though naturally we will have to endure some of that I'm sure. Nothing pleases me more than to see a 110 pound waif casually raise her arm up and stop cold a 15 pound war axe being delivered full force by a 250 pound brute in mid stroke. But who knows, maybe she will be a crossfit brick shit house with thighs like a hamster.
The presence of dwarves and hobbits in LOTR gives the false impression that short people are competent.

Top Bottom