• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most Slept-On/Overlooked Games of 2023 - According to NEOGAF

Cocoon just feels like Diablo traversal simulator without the combat. I don't even see the point in playing it. Stuff like that gave indie games a bad name with me for so long.
You know how games like Mario Odyssey or Wonder constantly engage the player with their ever evolving gameplay despite the core mechanics staying the same? Yeah, the aforementioned three have none of those things. You know exactly what you're getting from beginning to end.
Cocoon is a puzzle game. Also there have been plenty of puzzle-style games known for just one major gameplay feature. This would be like complaining that games such as Portal 1 and Echochrome don't feature combat when that's missing the entire point of them.

I'm trying to figure out what changed between the PS3/PS4 generation to now, to where people suddenly find relaxing, bite sized experiences like this to be unacceptable.

simpatico

Cocoon is a puzzle game. Also there have been plenty of puzzle-style games known for just one major gameplay feature. This would be like complaining that games such as Portal 1 and Echochrome don't feature combat when that's missing the entire point of them.

I'm trying to figure out what changed between the PS3/PS4 generation to now, to where people suddenly find relaxing, bite sized experiences like this to be unacceptable.
Portal was fun. Cocoon was just the annoying puzzle part in an otherwise good game, without any of the "good game" parts.

Portal was fun. Cocoon was just the annoying puzzle part in an otherwise good game, without any of the "good game" parts.
It can't be an annoying puzzle section if that's literally the majority of the game lol. It sounds like you simply didn't enjoy the game itself, which is fine. Not every puzzle game is for everyone.

Bartski

Gold Member
My pick is Bramble: The Mountain King, which currently has an Overwhelmingly Positive rating on Steam, and is available on Game Pass.

This entry in the "sad boy runs to the right" genre (per the Developer in their Reddit AMA) stands tall with the best. Think Limbo/Inside/Little Nightmares but with Swedish mythology that absolutely does not hold back in terms of violence, horror, and dark subject matter. Great pacing, boss fights, and tonal shifts. Personally, the trailer was good, but didn't do it justice. I have the feeling the reputation of this game will grow over time.

wow thanks. I beat it in one sitting last night, didn't know it was on gamepass.

I never paid attention to it after playing 10 mins of an early steam fest demo, no idea why they chose a very early section of the game for it where it starts as a cutesy pegi7 platformer...

While it's actually horror, way darker than something like Little Nightmares 2. If those are the tales Swedes tell their children half of them probably end up on therapy.

Some jank mechanics you need to outmaneuver and 2 checkpoint restart-type progression bugs, all good IMO I've had a great time. Everyone who likes "sad boy runs to the right" lol go check it out.

Roberts

None of these are certified bangers but I enjoyed all of them for certain personal reasons.

The Invincible - If you like walking sims like Firewatch.
Toem - a kids adventure game entirely in black and white.
Figment 2: Creed Valley - A simpler, insometric action adventure version of Psychonauts. Killer soundtrack.
Atlas Fallen - Deck 13's follow up to The Surge games, but this time it is an open world (almost open world) action RPG. Janky and a bit too hand-holdy for my taste, but still enjoyed the shit out of it because it is fun to travel and find all kinds of hidden stuff.
The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales - This reminds me I need to get back to it and finish it.
Miasma Chronicles - From guys who made Mutant Zero One. Not as good, but still a lot of fun if you like turn based combat.
Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun - Probably my favourite retro shooter of the year
Ravenlok - Not as crazy and fun as Echo Generation but I will now play anything Cococucumber throw my way - they basically make 6-8 hour long RPG-lite with their own sense of style and humour.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Please I can't beg enough

Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising is just... its amazing. I know this has been a year with plenty of fighters, MK 1, SFVI, continued support for Guility Gear. But I just can't explain how awesome this game is. When I think iv finally nailed a character down I get my ass kicked and watch a few matches by other people playing and realise "oh I should be doing this" and it completely changes the way I play.

The graphics, the music, the stupid lobby and its fallguys minigame. The rollback netcode and crossplay really makes the difference, its the second chance the game really needed... did I mention you can try it for free with Gran + 3 random weekly rotating characters with access to the story mode and online lobby's.

Play them out Sam

Last edited:

Hugare

I still believe that Atomic Heart didnt get the love that it deserves

That game was good. 80% of it was exactly what I expected: russian Bioshock with killer art design. It playing as good as it did and the story being entertaining enough were shockers that I wasnt expectig.

The open world was undercooked, but the whole package was great. Considering that it was the studio's first game makes it even more impressive.

Last edited:
  • Dark and Darker
    • The self described "unforgiving hardcore fantasy FPS dungeon PvPvE adventure". Basically Escape from Tarkov meets Dungeons and Dragons with a hint of the methodical, deliberate and slow paced gameplay found in the Souls games.
    • Development is still going strong with a steady playerbase, despite being dropped from Steam due to Nexon's questionable DMCA claim. Still my to go game since the playtests on Steam & imo the best online multiplayer game out there currently.
  • Picayune
    • An intense 'survivors' game with some bullet hell mechanics, amazing art and soundtrack. Everything comes together perfectly and it's a joy to play.
  • Schism
    • A dark, trippy and unrefined Tiny Rogues style game with color switching mechanic like Ikaruga.

Last edited:
Top Bottom