• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pokémon Company is “having conversations” about how to ensure the quality of future games under its frequent release schedule, it’s said.

mystech

They can start by moving development to Unreal Engine since they can’t seem to make an engine of their own. Hell even Unity could do better.

Honestly I’d love to see Gamefreak just reboot the franchise, especially if the Switch 2 (or whatever they call it) really has PS4 level graphical power (and DLSS makes the story even more interesting). Give us a new set of 1-200 Pokémon set in an open world, give us a quality story, interesting side quests and post game content that finally reaches the level of the old Gameboy Silver and Gold titles which rewarded the player with an extra 8 badges to collect and a new region.

The Pokémon franchise could be so much more. I understand keeping the games kid friendly and approachable for casuals but that’s no excuse to continually release garbage with no real innovation. With Nintendo backing them and the power of the Pokémon brand, you’d think these games would be showpieces for Nintendo hardware…

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my opinion if they don’t want to have high tech graphics the improve artstyle. Atlus does this and you don’t see many complaining why the graphics not high tech enough.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Pokémon games have technical failings and they hate end game content. Now they moved into DLC locked Pokémon too, so I'm not sure why I should ever bother.

At least Go eventually gives people the chance to catch them all, despite Niantic being even fucking worse than Game Freak.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I...don't understand TPC. Being the biggest name out there with unlimited money do they not hire people anymore ?

Is TPC a family run mafia thing that new young people who know their shit about game making isn't allowed.
How to turn “money” into “profits”? Simply cut costs and increase prices ;). Are sales dropping yet? No? Continue then….

—> That is basically the execs’ heads, of course when things fall they do not stop falling if they yank the chain this much, but they think they will be retired by then :D.

Kumomeme

they need to increase development time of mainline pokemon game especially if they want keep to do open world game to atleast 4 years. Scarlet and Violet took 3 years.

perhaps Gamefreak and Nintendo need to plan their development schedule so the timing between their Zelda game and next pokemon mainline game wont clash with each others so Monolith Soft can fully deploy their technical expertise support to assist both project development.

or either make collaboration between Zelda and Gamefreak team or form a new team that mixed both developers from between the two studio.

Pokemon is one of biggest ip out there in the world. they should throw their resource to it.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Go back to pixel bit art style. Seriously though Pokemon lost half its charm for me by switching to 3D.

Gen 1-5 is a hell of a run though.

supernova8

Banned
They can start by moving development to Unreal Engine since they can’t seem to make an engine of their own. Hell even Unity could do better.

Honestly I’d love to see Gamefreak just reboot the franchise, especially if the Switch 2 (or whatever they call it) really has PS4 level graphical power (and DLSS makes the story even more interesting). Give us a new set of 1-200 Pokémon set in an open world, give us a quality story, interesting side quests and post game content that finally reaches the level of the old Gameboy Silver and Gold titles which rewarded the player with an extra 8 badges to collect and a new region.

The Pokémon franchise could be so much more. I understand keeping the games kid friendly and approachable for casuals but that’s no excuse to continually release garbage with no real innovation. With Nintendo backing them and the power of the Pokémon brand, you’d think these games would be showpieces for Nintendo hardware…
Presumably:

1) they don't want to pay Epic a cut of their big fat Pokemon game revenues
2) they don't want the hassle of switching over to a new engine
3) they don't want the hassle of having to either train existing staff on Unreal or hire devs who already know how to use it

Basically all comes back to money right

Last edited:
"why make quality games when the sheep will buy anything we put out anyways? Development time costs money, which eats into our profits!!!"

Robb

Gold Member
perhaps Gamefreak and Nintendo need to plan their development schedule
They definitely should. It almost feels like they’re reluctant to pool resources when it comes to Pokemon. You hear about RETRO Studios helping out with stuff like Mario Kart, Monolith Soft helping out with stuff like Zelda etc. etc. but no one ever helping out with Pokemon for whatever reason (possibly the franchise that seem to need it the most).

they need to increase development time of mainline pokemon game especially if they want keep to do open world game to atleast 4 years. Scarlet and Violet took 3 years.

perhaps Gamefreak and Nintendo need to plan their development schedule so the timing between their Zelda game and next pokemon mainline game wont clash with each others so Monolith Soft can fully deploy their technical expertise support to assist both project development.

or either make collaboration between Zelda and Gamefreak team or form a new team that mixed both developers from between the two studio.

Pokemon is one of biggest ip out there in the world. they should throw their resource to it.

3 years is more than enough time, expecially for a handheld game. The issue is greed, giving the games a low budget with too few employees.

e.g.
Death Stranding = 3 years
Fallout New Vegas = 1.5 years
Assassins Creed Valhalla = 3 years

Top Bottom