• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Resident Evil 4 Deal That Betrayed Nintendo

Quasicat

For me the real problem wasn’t RE 4 leaving GameCube exclusivity, it was the fact that Dead Phoenix was canceled. I really loved seeing the pictures and early coverage of it, and then the rumors suggested that it was being retooled as a Kid Icarus game.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

alienator

Two things that make the picture look worse?

The game was designed around a crt and looked mindblowingly good on it back then. upping resolutions for lcd's and what not often make imperfections look way worse than experienced on a real crt and real hardware. My gamecube today is hooked up to a lcd and im using an OSSC to use the original res/progressive scan and scanlines to make it as authentic as possible.

u call it worse, i call it authentic, each on their own.

Spaceman292

Banned
The game was designed around a crt and looked mindblowingly good on it back then. upping resolutions for lcd's and what not often make imperfections look way worse than experienced on a real crt and real hardware. My gamecube today is hooked up to a lcd and im using an OSSC to use the original res/progressive scan and scanlines to make it as authentic as possible.

u call it worse, i call it authentic, each on their own.
Seems like the equivalent of smearing your glasses with vaseline to make an old movie look more realistic.

Turnstyle

It always felt like RE4 came a little too late in the lifecycle of the GameCube to me. I remember being really pumped about getting it day one, only to go into town and discover that no stores were even stocking GameCube games at that time anymore. Display shelves in stores were almost exclusively PS2 and Xbox.

In the end I had to order it on Amazon, and I did really enjoy it, but it felt like one of the last gasps of the console, and I can't blame Capcom for porting to pretty much everything.

(Wow, just looked up my original order, it cost me £29.99 at launch - not bad!)

Intoxicate

RE4 on the GameCube was unbelievable.
I spent all nights to get through the game and my girlfriend watched me play. She never watch me play games but she was mesmerized with the storage and the “zombie” attacks.

The CRT in combination with the lighting effects made it look awesome. The HD remasters cannot get close to that atmosphere.

btw. when do we get the gyro controls patch for the Switch version 🤣🤪

NT80

The PS2 port was an inferior version as it couldn't handle it without compromises. The added Ada Wong scenario Separate Ways was awful. By the time the other ports happened I don't think the Gamecube mattered anymore.

Top Bottom