• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] COD on gamepass

Gamepass is more expensive than PS+. Not the other way round.
Cant Remember Who Knows GIF by Black Prez

brother there's no way you can be this bad at math. They literally have the numbers done for you.

Imo, I always thought buying Activision/Blizzard was probably the biggest mistake in video history. Also, putting a very popular game that makes billions per year and generates a ton of hype on a cheap subscription service never made financial sense to me. I know they want to grow those Gamepass subscriptions, but that $70 billion debt isn’t going to disappear and I doubt a subscription is the solution when I don’t even think the entire COD franchise has even made even half of what Microsoft spent for the acquisition.

Gambit2483

Where is this industry going?

I know microsoft have completely fumbled for like 10 years now, but we are in a situation where you can't do anything but a "guaranteed" successful game...then if those games don't land you're basically dead.

How can we have an industry where you can't afford to take the slightest of risks in the AA or AAA space.
MS and (to a lesser extent) Sony put themselves in this unique position.

MS spent too much money on game budgets, and acquisitions to the point where they are forced to becoming more and more risk adverse in order to turn an actual profit. Then there's the Gamepass effect which has effectively killed their physical sales.

They also have shitty studio management and don't value talent retention so they are woefully inept at putting out consistent quality titles.

Also they are paying consultants to let unwanted DEI crap infect their games which is almost like paying to make your game sell worse.

Notice how Nintendo has none of these problems, because they know how to budget properly, value studio management and talent retention and aren't bother with turning their entertainment products into political agenda vessels.

Top Bottom