• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The VICE Guide to Adulthood

Status
Not open for further replies.

grkazan12

Found it to be quite interesting. Is this good advice to follow. I agree with the tip of reading again, it's been a minute since I last read a book.

Edit: Sorry about forgetting to post the link. I made this on my phone the other day http://www.vice.com/read/the-vice-guide-to-adulthood
Vice said:
HYGIENE
It is quite possible that your parents didn’t teach you certain things about hygiene while you were growing up. It’s quite possible that you don't even have human parents, and were perhaps born from a turd similar to the ones you continuously leave in the bowl without flushing after visiting a public restroom, like a DNA stink-abortion for the next person to discover. Hate to break the news to you, pal, but if you haven’t managed to tackle how to properly deal with your fecal waste, everything else in life is going to seem like an impossible challenge.

PAY YOUR DEBTS
Hardly anyone has a credit card in Germany. The Germans, culturally, do not live beyond their means, mostly because they tried that once and a lot of bad things happened. That’s sort of like America and Europe now, don’t you think? The only difference is that instead of Hitler we get a bunch of religious extremists who hunker down in the worst places in the world and figure out how they’re going to kill us over here. Bad things are happening, for sure, and a lot of it is fueled and funded by people (the West) living a lifestyle they can't afford. If you don't want to fall into this category, start with simple commitments like paying $100 a month more than the interest owed on your credit card instead of buying drugs twice in one week.

DRUGS
This probably doesn't apply to the pot you smoke and mushrooms and other psychedelics you ingest, but the next time you buy coke or heroin or other narcotics that can potentially stop your heart (especially in the States), give yourself a friendly reminder that a lot of people in Mexico are dying so you can have a fun night of drinking and having sex with strangers. And not just drug lords—entire families of innocent people who happened to live in the wrong town, and increasingly lots of children. There’s nothing you can do to stop it, but if you feel like you might have a bad drug problem coming on, subscribe to a few Mexican newspapers so you can look at crime scene photos of piles of body parts and headless corpses the next time you feel like taking a bump or plunging a needle in your arm. In other words, moderation is key.

DON’T LIE
Want to know why so many of your parents are divorced and/or bankrupt? It’s probably because a) They got married way too early; b) Had kids way too early; c) Had an affair because at least one of the spouses never got to fuck a bunch of people; and d) Worked a job that they hated for way too long. Avoid all of these traps and you will have a much better chance of avoiding a mid-life crisis. Be honest with yourself, and with others, simply because it is more efficient. Want to cheat on your girlfriend? Why don't you just dump her instead and fuck whoever you want? Is it because you’re a giant sniveling pussy who is afraid to be alone and actually face the consequences of your decisions like a real human being? Probably, and we hope you get dick cancer as a result (not because we’re moral crusaders, just because we think it’s funny when people get what they deserve). You know what you want; and if you don't, just keep trying things to till you figure it out while also trying to not be an uptight, self-serving asshole along the way. Everyone will be happier in the long run.

TRAVEL
After you’ve gone ahead and landed a real job that pays you in actual money instead of Chili’s gift certificates and sample-size bottles of shampoo, maybe you should think about using your vacation time for something other than sitting on your couch and bar-hopping around your shitty town (or on a friend's couch in a similar city). Instead, how about you get up off your rapidly widening ass, turn off your phone for a couple weeks, and plunge headfirst into this lonely world to gain some perspective. Go somewhere dirty, dangerous, and cheap, and go by yourself, or with someone you love or are guaranteed to have a good time with. If you’ve ever questioned whether or not you’re stupid or boring, this is a great way to find out. And if you are, there’s a chance you can even remedy it.

EMOTIONS
If you’re the kind of person who goes out with friends and ruins everybody’s good time because you can’t stop bitching about things and getting upset about everything and everyone you see and are "outraged" or "offended" or "way too far inside" your "head," then we hate to break it to you, but your emotions stopped developing at the age of fetus. If your best friend in the whole world, the one who you’ve know since grade school, is afraid to tell you there's a booger hanging out of your nose because you'll probaly get all uptight and misty eyed, then you need to work on your emotional health a little bit. Nobody wants to work with, fuck, or go to the movies with a walking exposed nerve. Save emotions for when they count, and when people are receptive to them: sexy times, animal videos, and Christmas.

LOVE VS. FUCKING
They say that a life worth living is a life worth sharing. They also say that if you’re an asshole all the time, you’re going to slip on a wad of hair in the shower, hit your head, suffer a contusion, and die. No one will find your corpse until it begins emitting a stench so powerful that it cuts through all the curry and jerk chicken your neighbors are making in your shitty apartment building. In your teens and 20s it’s OK to be annoyingly picky and indecisive (within reason) about finding the “right one” and eliminating people from your uppity little dating pool because they don’t like your favorite brand of deodorant, or because they are Nazis about recycling. Eventually, if you’re lucky, it will dawn on you: “OHHHHHH! I’m the asshole here! Not that girl who I dumped because she’s allergic to paper!” If someone is nice to you, and your privates find them attractive, love them for as long as you can and as well as you can, and then keep trying for even longer than that because you probably don’t deserve a second chance. Fucking, however, is a completely different thing. Grunting like an animal and ramming your parts into another person’s feel-good cavity/getting rammed in yours is purely recreational, and let's face it, those hot sluts at the bar aren’t going to be the ones you want to see walk into your room with a stack of DVDs and a Coke Slurpie when you’re home in bed with a fever.

GOING OUT
The pressure to go out and do things, all the time, in public, and document those things on 14 different social-networking sites is overwhelming, especially in your 20s. But cherish those times, sparky. By 30, when you’ve fucked way too many people you shouldn’t have and a general disdain for humanity begins to take over your face muscles, the decision to go out or stay in revolves around the following criteria: 1) I hope there’s no one there that I have to talk to; 2) I hope there’s somewhere to sit down; 3) If someone doesn’t try to have sex with me within 20 minutes, I’m going home to put on sweatpants and watch Louie. One of the best perks of adulthood is that your apartment/house is probably pretty decent, with plenty of chairs, AC/heat, and a variety of beverages to offer and enjoy. Being an adult basically means being able to say, “Why don’t we just stay in and make dinner and maybe even save some money?” and not (always) look at your place as a set for fingerbanging.

FRIENDS
They say that the older you get, the harder it is to make friends. Most people have all the “BFFs” that they’re gonna have by the time they’re in their late 20s, because these BFFs are people we met and bonded with while growing up. If you are 30-plus and have more than two friends who you’ve known for more than 15 years, then you’re doing pretty fucking good. Don’t blow it with those gems, and don’t worry about making any more close friends because between work, trying to have sex sometimes, and squeezing out time to read books and catch up on Youtube clips, who has the goddamn time? Plus—and this cannot be overemphasized—the older you get, the more you realize how many people deserve to be disappeared and possibly vaporized.

ENTERTAINMENT
If you consider yourself a “full-grown adult” and have not read (like, completed, cover to cover) a book of any sort in the past three months, you are probably someone we never want to be friends with. TV and movies are great and all, and it’s good to keep up with carefully curated show selections, but if you look forward to making it home in time to catch The Big Bang Theory or whatever, you’re probably hopeless and should be sure to only befriend similarly boring people so you don’t turd up conversations. Non-fiction, medical journals, fiction, whatever, just read a fucking book already. Also, listen to whatever music you want to because there are no rules anymore, but be warned: Talking like a rapper if you aren’t one and “acting tough” is so transparent and lame that we are considering forming a hit squad to systematically cleanse this segment of humanity. Not joking.

THE INTERNET
Hey, you know what makes adults so special? They only give a shit about a handful of people. This is because they spend the majority of their time being productive members of society, not pretending they are a celebrity and talking about how the vegetarian egg salad wrap they ate earlier “tasted a little funky” on Facebook. You want to know why when you look at photos of people from the 60s and 70s they look so much cooler than you? It’s because they were. They didn’t have personal ego-satellites to mind-rape the country with their inane proclivities and terrible ideas; they actually had to talk to people, like face-to-face, or on the telephone when an in-person conversation wasn’t an option. Speaking of which, how come no one talks on the phone anymore? How about we start doing that again instead of leaving impersonal comments on the profiles of people we secretly hate. It’ll save us all some time. If you must, Twitter and Instagram are far superior because their formats don’t allow for the same level of bloated self-indulgence as a MINI-WEBSITE ABOUT YOURSELF. Trust us, you’re not that interesting.

CPS2

There's a girl at work who always talks like a gangster rapper and only ever talks about hip hop and rnb from the 90s. Its probably going to be a full blown medical condition at some point.

gdt

This is good stuff.

I have sooooooo much vacation time available but I never go anywhere. I really should for my next one. And not to the fucking Caribbean where I've been 10 million times.

Row

Banned
Solid advice overall although it's mostly common sense, however the notion that anyone can get a "real" job they like which pays "real" money that would in turn allow you to travel...not a luxury many can manage

gdt

Solid advice overall although it's mostly common sense, however the notion that anyone can get a "real" job they like which pays "real" money that would in turn allow you to travel...not a luxury many can manage

If you're semi young and have no kids its not that out there.

Foffy

Banned

Actually it's possible to do nothing but travel. The catch is in order to afford it, you need to either save lots of money to make it a long term plan, or get work in the places you visit to fund the next trip, which is a much shorter term mini plan for each trip. The problem with our modern society is we create things that shackle us to one place, so we often feel "unable" to do these things. It's even possible to live without money, but that means literally abandoning many of the material luxuries we have today. Many don't take that plunge.

Futureman

Ugh can't stand the attitude of the author.

My roommate was talking about Vice documentaries the other day and they sound interesting. Will avoid if they have the same "I'm better than you" mentality.

grumble

Interesting that the author says that affairs often happen because one partner in a relationship never really sowed their wild oats. Anyone think that's a common cause of infidelity?

I didn't have sex with a lot of girls before my girlfriend, and it's definitely a feeling of missing out a bit but I'm happy with a good thing.

Quackula

Interesting that the author says that affairs often happen because one partner in a relationship never really sowed their wild oats. Anyone think that's a common cause of infidelity?

It was literally the reason my Dad gave to my Mom when he cheated on her and they got divorced, so I'd say it's pretty likely.

Tuck

The advice is fine, I guess. Just not a fan of the overly aggressive "If you don't behave how I say you should, you're a horrible human being" attitude.

kazebyaka

Banned
If you consider yourself a “full-grown adult” and have not read (like, completed, cover to cover) a book of any sort in the past three months, you are probably someone we never want to be friends with.
Wtf is this shit? What if I don't like books? What if I'm only reading books on how to torture people, you still want to be friends with me?

I wouldn't want to be friends with close minded people like the author of this article

I didn't have sex with a lot of girls before my girlfriend, and it's definitely a feeling of missing out a bit but I'm happy with a good thing.

I'm sure it happens sometimes. People have a hard time being honest about their sexual desires, or, they suppress them to follow a script, until it's too late. Either way, it would save a lot of people a lot of time if they're just up front about shit from the beginning (aka, Don't Lie)

h1nch

My roommate was talking about Vice documentaries the other day and they sound interesting. Will avoid if they have the same "I'm better than you" mentality.

Really? I thought the tone of the article was obviously "half-joking"

You should check out their documentaries, some of them are extremely well done.

Actually it's possible to do nothing but travel. The catch is in order to afford it, you need to either save lots of money to make it a long term plan, or get work in the places you visit to fund the next trip, which is a much shorter term mini plan for each trip. The problem with our modern society is we create things that shackle us to one place, so we often feel "unable" to do these things. It's even possible to live without money, but that means literally abandoning many of the material luxuries we have today. Many don't take that plunge.

This. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0812992180/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So how do I fold a t-shirt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6_NZMw4w

RJT

There's a girl at work who always talks like a gangster rapper and only ever talks about hip hop and rnb from the 90s. Its probably going to be a full blown medical condition at some point.

It's called stuckindaninetisninjism.

KiNeSiS

Banned

Sounds like my dream girl. Damn why can't I find a woman with good taste....

KiNeSiS

Banned
Their Wendy's pretzel burger review just makes me laugh and look down at its author what a fucking idiot. Read it if you're feeling blue.

equap

Banned
Wtf is this shit? What if I don't like books? What if I'm only reading books on how to torture people, you still want to be friends with me?

I wouldn't want to be friends with close minded people like the author of this article
yeah, that turned me off to this article, too.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Read a book and stay in?

Have I just been old this whole time? I've done that my whole life. I mean, I go out sometimes but it's more likely I'll stay in with a book than otherwise.

Raxus

Parts of the article read like it was written by a vindictive girlfriend. I do agree with the vacation and going out parts. People settle into ruts and it can be hard to break out. It just makes a person more and more introverted which is never a good thing.

Man, I'm 31, and I've only achieved the bad parts on the list.

I'm a self-centered asshole who likes to be an asshole to everyone by referencing obscure jokes.

Parts of the article read like it was written by a vindictive girlfriend. I do agree with the vacation and going out parts. People settle into ruts and it can be hard to break out. It just makes a person more and more introverted which is never a good thing.

I disagree. It depends entirely on the person. I've not gone out recreationally for the last two and a half weeks, but I'd say I'm actually happier than I have been in months. I enjoy being alone a good deal. That's not normal, by any means, but I don't see how it's a bad thing, psychologically speaking, that I'd rather stay in and watch a documentary, or read a book, or whatever. The only problem is occasional loneliness, but for good or ill, that's something that can be gotten used to. An online friend of mine put it well - time is limited, why spend it around people you don't care about just for the sake of being with other people? I did that week after week in college, and I was miserable for pretty much four years straight. Granted, that wasn't the ONLY thing that made me miserable, as I hated Academia and found it incredibly stifling, but being in a crowd and feeling like you're millions of miles away from those around you is certainly not pleasant.

Jenga

Banned

The Vice documentaries are normally devoid of this, their editorials not so much.

NoRéN

VICE, the immature guide to being mature.

As far as their editorials are concerned, pretty much.

First time I learned about VICE was because their magazine was distributed and promoted at American Apparel. It was displayed next to a magazine called BUTT.

Macam

Banned
Vice occasionally has some really good pieces, but there's definitely a tolerance for having to wade through this level of writing. There are adjectives in the English vernacular, even non-vulgar ones, beyond 'fuck' and 'shit'.

Carcetti

Reads about as mature as Rated M for Mature video games. Just what we need, a jackass generation version of Paulo Coelho advice-o-matic.

jaxword

tIFaulq.jpg

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
PAY YOUR DEBTS
Hardly anyone has a credit card in Germany. The Germans, culturally, do not live beyond their means, mostly because they tried that once and a lot of bad things happened. That’s sort of like America and Europe now, don’t you think? The only difference is that instead of Hitler we get a bunch of religious extremists who hunker down in the worst places in the world and figure out how they’re going to kill us over here. Bad things are happening, for sure, and a lot of it is fueled and funded by people (the West) living a lifestyle they can't afford. If you don't want to fall into this category, start with simple commitments like paying $100 a month more than the interest owed on your credit card instead of buying drugs twice in one week.

This is as far as I got

Demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of world history, economics and how credit cards work on a basic level all in one fell swoop.

and still manages to address the reader like they're an idiot

That's impressive on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom