• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 to be last Witcher game [Up: CDP CEO says franchise continuing]

Binabik15

Letho trilogy please.

Letho is SO FUCKING BADASS.

He wouldn't have to punch a boulder, the boulder would run away in fear.

His massive bulk but lightning fast movements and grace could also make for some nice contrast in his fighting style and opens up the many moves that'd have looked weird on Geralt. He's like Geralt+Kratos.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, this is awkward for everyone praising them for stopping while they were ahead.....

I am not naming names (Solo, EviLore....) but lets see them resist The Witcher 4: Plougher of Queens.

Clearly we should play Triss and focus on magic based combat and political diplomacy/manipulation.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well, this is awkward for everyone praising them for stopping while they were ahead.....

I am not naming names (Solo, EviLore....) but lets see them resist The Witcher 4: Plougher of Queens.

I'm okay with it either way. If the Geralt storyline is tied up properly then we can be rid of all the baggage from the books (that required amnesia to get around for the first two games) and still have a great, developed universe to tell other stories in.

sflufan

Banned
CDPR really can't do a Letho game simply because it would mean selecting one of the endings of TW2 canon.

This really doesn't matter with many of the minor choices that you made in TW1 that really had little or no impact in TW2, but this decision was far too significant to completely discount one of the choices.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Some more info from CEO of CD Projekt for PAP (Polish Press Agency) Business.
http://stooq.pl/n/?f=700022

"Jest to także ostatnia część trylogii, w której będzie miał miejsce wielki finał fabuły. Nie jest to jednak jednoznaczne z końcem franczyzy. Franczyza będzie kontynuowana""

"This is the last part of the trilogy with a grand finale of the story. But it does not mean the end of the franchise. Franchise will continue"

Thanks. I've upgraded you to full member status.

TCRS

Banned

"Jest to także ostatnia część trylogii, w której będzie miał miejsce wielki finał fabuły. Nie jest to jednak jednoznaczne z końcem franczyzy. Franczyza będzie kontynuowana""

"This is the last part of the trilogy with a grand finale of the story. But it does not mean the end of the franchise. Franchise will continue"

Hmm... let's see what they make of it I suppose.

diamount

Banned
CDPR really can't do a Letho game simply because it would mean selecting one of the endings of TW2 canon.

This really doesn't matter with many of the minor choices that you made in TW1 that really had little or no impact in TW2, but this decision was far too significant to completely discount one of the choices.

It could be a prequel. Up to when Geralt saved his bacon.

UrbanRats

Uhm, i hope, as i said, that they won't run it into the ground.
I guess if they move away from this plotline after 3, it can still work great, after all the world of Witcher is rich enough.

Lime

Ciri would have been just as great as geralt as a lead character. The stuff that happens to her is way more fucked up too.

You would like the books btw. it has a great female cast and Triss is by far the weakest of the bunch.
The strongest political force by the end of the books is a women only thing (they decided male rulers were incompetent and took power themselves)

Cool, that sounds interesting. I'm not always particularly motivated to read fantasy (pulp) literature, but I might pick one up during a rainy day. Which one is generally considered to be the "best" book in the series?

I'd love to see what they could do with a game world like Alpha Protocol's.

We desperately need more RPG's outside the traditional sci-fi/dark fantasy genres.

FoxSpirit

Are you kidding me? I hear he is currently taking screens of Deux Ex in anticipation. Apparently it looks like Cyberpunk 2077 when he squints.
Hahaha. Seriously got a laugh out of me, I have watched the trailer what, 4 times back to back right now??

Every time I've tried a witcher game I get just completely turned off by playing as Gerralt. I just don't like him at all. If this means they can finally retire him and perhaps with the move to open world look to allowing players to create their own character I might finally enjoy it.
A female protaganist would be a nice change too.

patapuf

Cool, that sounds interesting. I'm not always particularly motivated to read fantasy (pulp) literature, but I might pick one up during a rainy day. Which one is generally considered to be the "best" book in the series?

The first 2 books are short stories that establish the world, Geralt and Ciri the other 5 books tell a single story, so there's not really a "best" book.

Sadly, the english translations are very slow (there is a fan translation that is almost done i believe). But the books are available in every other major european language.

dr_rus

Why resist? Let them do it. CDPR is the only studio in the industry at the moment who can do as much Witcher sequels as they like as far as I'm concerned.
I'd also prefer to play as Geralt. The Witcher is Geralt after all.

Kinyou

The first 2 books are short stories that establish the world, Geralt and Ciri the other 5 books tell a single story, so there's not really a "best" book.

Sadly, the english translations are very slow (there is a fan translation that is almost done i believe). But the books are available in every other major european language.
Could reading the books spoil stuff from Witcher 3 or do the games have a different story?

dr_rus

Could reading the books spoil stuff from Witcher 3 or do the games have a different story?
All the games are set after the ending of the books but they don't spoil much because their story can be considered as a side story mostly. From what was told about the 3rd one though it looks like its story may contain some major spoilers to books.

Blastoise

Banned
Man I love CDPR. Just doubled dipped in The Witcher and The Witcher 2 on both Steam and GOG.

Still haven't finished either game though.

PFD

I'd have honestly prefered it if they ended it after TW3, but a Roche game wouldn't be so bad.

I wouldn't mind playing as this badass motherf*cker

rochegifkq9b.gif

This pleases me. I'm fine with them tying up the trilogy and possibly ending Geralt's story but don't want to see the franchise end. Hurray!

Maybe they should end Geralt's story and bring up a new protagonist for The Witcher 4. Maybe a female one for some steamy-hot female-on-female action. :)

Eusis

I'm okay with it either way. If the Geralt storyline is tied up properly then we can be rid of all the baggage from the books (that required amnesia to get around for the first two games) and still have a great, developed universe to tell other stories in.
Yeah, we're talking about a rich, developed setting here, one the author plans to revisit as I recall. The real problem would be endlessly contriving a way for Geralt to be lead, not continuing to make games in that world.

Saty

More confirmation about it not being the last Witcher game. From EG:

Update: This is a bit more believable. Turns out that when CDPR studio head Adam Badowski said The Witcher 3 would be the last Witcher game, what he really meant was it would be the last game of this trilogy.

Eurogamer Poland reported that Adam Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt RED, told a Polish Press Agency that Witcher 3 will conclude The Witcher 1, 2 & 3 trilogy. But the series, he said, will continue.

Persona86

Banned

Sort of like what they are planning to do with Mass Effect series.

Top Bottom