• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Original Soundtrack leaving stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/9149

I saw Kamiya talking about this a few times on twitter, but only just realized there wasn't a thread for it (at least none popped up on search).

In short, the soundtrack will no longer be sold on itunes and other places at the end of this month. If you wanted to support them by purchasing it and officially own the soundtrack, you only have a few days to do so. What stuck out to me was the commentary by the developers talking about the soundtrack:

Hideki Kamiya said:
I’ve said this before, but if there’s one phrase that sums up TW101’s soundtrack, “hymns to heroism” would be it. As you’ve probably figured out if you’ve played TW101, I’ve loved superheroes ever since I was a kid. I’ve been blessed with several chances to make games about them throughout my career, even before TW101. But TW101 is the game where I really crammed in as much as I could of what makes heroes so appealing – both their aesthetics, and how they inspire us and give us something to aspire to – to capture what heroes mean to me.

So of course we put special care into the background music that colors the game as well. Superheroes shoulder the burdens of the whole world, and they risk their lives to fight for those weaker than themselves. Their souls shine bright. We aimed to express this through a symphonic orchestral sound, and the result of all our composers’ hard work was a lot of brilliant music.

The tracks appear on the soundtrack in the same order they’re used in the game, so you can experience the heroic story of the Wonderful Ones and their thrilling battles just by listening to it. This goes out to people who’ve played the game, of course, but also to people who haven’t played it yet: Please close your eyes and listen, imagining the heroes’ brief but tumultuous journey, and rally your own fighting spirit to Unite Up and face tomorrow.

Hiroshi Yamaguchi said:
As a lot of you probably know, some composers outside of PlatinumGames also created some really fantastic music for TW101. These composers are Rei Kondoh from T’s Music, Norihiko Hibino from GEM Impact and Masato Kohda from Design Wave. They weren’t physically with us while they worked, but the passion they brought to the project can be heard loud and clear.

The soundtrack coming off the proverbial shelves is unfortunate, but I’d like to thank all of you who’ve supported us up to now from the bottom of my heart. Thank you so much for playing – and listening.

The PlatinumGames sound team’s mission is to create music that stays in players’ memories, and we’ll continue giving it our all from now on, too. Please look forward to what we’ve got coming next!

As I recall, the soundtrack was highly praised on GAF, right along side Metal Gear Rising and Anarchy Reigns. Platinum does good soundtracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom