• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There needs to be a FPS version of Vampire Survivors logic injected into other games.

Knightime_X

I'd play and probably never stop playing call of duty zombies if it was kind of like Vampire Survivors, where I could get comically OP while fending off thousands of enemies at a time.
Yes, I'm shilling the shit out of VS, game is the REAL GOTY.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I dont think my brain could cope with that. I nearly have a seizure by the end of a run anyway, especially from things like vandalier.

The Original Series GIF by Star Trek

Bragr

Banned
Vampire Survivors is great and all but let's not forget that every run is 90% identical and the last 5-ish minutes consist of just standing around every round as you fully max out.

I don't know how to infuse this into a 3D game, not sure if it would work that well. You can be sure some indie devs will try though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd play and probably never stop playing call of duty zombies if it was kind of like Vampire Survivors, where I could get comically OP while fending off thousands of enemies at a time.
Yes, I'm shilling the shit out of VS, game is the REAL GOTY.

The kind of gameplay supported by a top down "birds-eye" view that VS has is completely different to FPS perspective.

You cannot impose what amounts to a 260 degree blind-spot without fundamentally changing how everything works.

Knightime_X

The kind of gameplay supported by a top down "birds-eye" view that VS has is completely different to FPS perspective.

You cannot impose what amounts to a 260 degree blind-spot without fundamentally changing how everything works.
But you can make your gun be even more ridiculous.
And other elements like movements. Doesn't need to be 1:1 like an overhead game.

Basically like Serious Sam with op mods.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, okay, maybe let's not carried away. It's a simple concept with a really fun execution but there's really not a lot to it once you play through first couple of runs.

It's not impossible. Serious Sam is basically built around the concept of mindless enemies homing in on you in increasingly overwhelming waves.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's not impossible. Serious Sam is basically built around the concept of mindless enemies homing in on you in increasingly overwhelming waves.

It works because it pushes out distance in order to give the player time to react, which really is the crux of the matter. So for a start-off you need to re-think your arena design in order to give the gameplay sufficient space to react.

Then there are issues of what I guess amounts to claustrophobia. A swarm of enemies constantly in your face generally translates into a wall of gibs and explosions that fill the frame with visual noise, its kinda wearing and dull. Whereas with a top-down view you can see these waves coalesce into swarms which you then can navigate around the periphery of. This sort of shepherding is something that requires aiming direction/view be separated from movement view/direction...

Sure, "impossible" is too strong a word. My point was trying to merge that style of gameplay with that sort of presentation leads to a series of compromises and trade-offs that dilute the value of both approaches.

Big-time Robotron 2084 fan here from back in the day, so don't get me wrong I fucking love top-down because it gets so much clutter out of the way and allow the gameplay to focus purely on the movement and shooting. My argument is that although FPS have a lot going for them, I feel like they inevitable bring a ton of baggage that stands in the way of that purity.

badblue

Gold Member
Devil Daggers mixed with Vampire Survivors is something I could get behind.

Top Bottom