• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief 3:DS redefines the Survival/Horror genre

Rhindle

Thief 3 is fun stealth game for the first 20 hours or so.

Then you hit the Shalebridge Cradle levels, and out of nowhere, you are in the midst of the greatest mindf**k ever committed to videogame code. After hours of stumbling through a freak-infested, burnt-out asylum-cum-orphanage, and a detour into a ghostly past -- I was emotionally drained. No other game has come close to doing that.

This is coming from someone who finds the Silent Hills and Resident Evils of the world to be utterly ineffective at conveying any real scare/horror value.

I’ve been trying to put my finger on what makes Thief so effective at screwing with your mind. It boils down to this:

(1) The S/H levels in Thief are a tour-de-force of sound design and engineering. The superbly rich and twisted sound effects, the cacophony of rising and falling voices that engulfs you in a 5.1 embrace, all wonderfully executed.

(2) The lighting effects, particularly the flickering white light piercing through the dark shadows, perfectly complement the wonderfully twisted, melancholy set designs.

(3) The way the creatures will creep up on you in utter silence -- with the only warning you get being a shadow suddenly projecting out from behind you.

(4) Maybe most importantly: the fact that the Halo-style controls (and the perfect user-controllable camera in third-person mode) produce a feeling of total immersion. The illusion of being one with the on-screen character is critical to being able to produce genuine dread and fear. And that illusion is entirely absent in SH/RE games, because of you are constantly struggling with crappy controls and jarring camera angle changes, wondering when the next cut-scene is going to come along. The great engine and interface in Thief eliminate the disconnect – you are right there in the game.

The Konamis and Capcoms would do well to take note, when and if they decide to quit clinging to the same tired design conventions.

jedimike

I've started playing but haven't even got past the first level yet... I stopped playing to finish Red Dead Revolver.

I've never played the first Thiefs... so far I think Thief 3 is an excellent game. Much better than DeusEx 2.

border

I think it's a great game but the level you're talking about was just annoying to me. It's a bunch of crappy errands for some dead girl, and more of those annoying zombies who can't be killed without special items. Plus it's all dark and you can't see much of anything. When you hear that banging on the attic door, it is a little scary though. =)

3rd person camera really sucks as far as I'm concerned -- controlling like that is just too wonky, when you have a character that can move so swiftly. It works for action games, but not ones where you have to have precision movement and are always looking for little trinkets to pick up. I only used 3rd person when I was climbing stuff.

The captain's mansion was pretty much the coolest part of the game for me.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
i don't agree at all, but it's always cool to hear/read about somebody else's mind-altering experience when it comes to game immersion. :)

Pimpbaa

The Cradle level was my least favorite. It was scary and cool at first, but it just dragged on and on (doing those stupid errands for the girl). I swear almost every texture in the level was the same color. Also, I think the 1st person perspective is much better in this game (more immersive).

Mrbob

Heh, I'm a bit scared when I read Thief 3 redefines the survival horror genre. I've heard great things about this level. I'll pick the PC version up eventually. Probably after I get my X800Pro.

Rhindle

Mrbob said:
Heh, I'm a bit scared when I read Thief 3 redefines the survival horror genre. I've heard great things about this level. I'll pick the PC version up eventually. Probably after I get my X800Pro.
Get it for Xbox, unless you are a total framerate whore. I've played the PC version as well and it's just not nearly as immersive.

I would go with the 1st person perspective all the way on PC. On Xbox, the third-person controls and camera are just perfect, and have kind of become second nature after Splinter Cell.

I do agee that the mission designs on the Cradle drag out a bit. But it's more than made up for by the brilliant atmospherics.
smile.gif

Pimpbaa

Rhindle said:
Get it for Xbox, unless you are a total framerate whore. I've played the PC version as well and it's just not nearly as immersive.

I would go with the 1st person perspective all the way on PC. On Xbox, the third-person controls and camera are just perfect, and have kind of become second nature after Splinter Cell.

The game is more immersive in the xbox version cause of the controls? That's retarded, the game feels the same on both. Also, the controls for third person and first person are the same, the only difference is you have your character in the way of your view in 3rd person.

Mrbob

Oh I've played the PC demo and it is quite fun. Controls are just fine with the keyboard and mouse.

One other major coup the PC version has are load times that are nearly half of the xbox version.

I think it all depends one what kind of horror you like in your games . For me, its all about what you don't see and also what you DO hear . The first part of the cradle
has no enemies at all
. Its more about what you make up in your own mind than what you actually see on the screen . To me that is infinitely more scary . Leaving things up to the imagination is the best route I feel .

Yes there are some aspects like that in the Inner Cradle, but as many others have stated I also HATED the Fed Ex mission style .. It completely killed any atomosphere that may have built up .

Hope that made sense .

border

Yeah.....the PC version is only good if you are a framerate whore. Or a high-resolution whore. Or a mouse & keyboard whore. Or a load times whore. Err, I guess there are other reasons to play it =\

PC version can be configured to skip the 4-5 stupid intro movies, which is kinda cool. You can also make it remove the lock-picking HUD, so that you have to actually look at the lock and listen to the clicking while you're doing it.

3rd person camera lets you cheat your way around corners and stuff....

way more

Agreed. The level where you sneak aboard the boat with all the undead had me shit my pants at regular intervals.

MaddenNFL64

I played the first 2 missions about a week ago, and enjoyed them immensly. Sneaking around, listening to conversations, sneaking up behind mofos & clubbing them... heh. Problem was, I popped in Skies of Arcadia Legends right after, and never came back to it :p.

Now i'm done with SoAL, and i'm ready to continue my journey with Garrett :).

I can't wait for the horror portion!

Rhindle said:

What the hell are you talking about?

That level had me so freaked out at points while sitting alone like 2 feet from my monitor with my sorrounds sound speakers with all the lights in the room out at night. I cant immagine being nearly as freaked out if I was sitting on my bed playing while 4 feet away. Ok, so maybe it's not that different, but to say the PC version is less immersive is just plain moronic.

And I kinda feel another reason this may be more freaky than RE/SH is because of the first person view. I never played this game in 3rd person, like i used it a couple times for climing on walls and such, but I never did any sneaking or anything with it. Thief is not ment to be a 3rd person game...

But anyway, that was a great level, though I do hate Zombies...

~Black Deatha

Volt

Damn, now I wanna play Thief... And I haven't even finished Ninja Gaiden, Riddick, Metal Arms, PoP, BG&E and Splinter Cell : PT yet :(
Sounds like a great game, and I already liked Deus Ex : IW, so if this is even better it's really a must-buy for me !

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't believe people are suggesting the XBOX version over the PC version. :\

I suppose the fact that my PC and consoles sit directly next to each other and therefore share the same environment...but the PC version lacks no atmosphere. I just pull my 19" monitor closer to my face and crank up the sound.

The loadtimes make a MASSIVE difference though. The XBOX version takes 3-4 times longer to load sections when compared to my PC and that REALLY breaks the feel of a complete world.

Still, Thief had always been a PC game and plays best on the PC...unless your PC has a very small monitor, bad speakers, and sits in some home office by itself.

I just played through thief2 myself recently, it has its spooky moments. Like the haunted library (ghost appeared right infront of me and i pee'd my pants) , the haunted prision etc. And the wierd noises make it worse, everytime i heard chains rattling I thought "Ohh crap"

bogg

I like the game, most of the missions are really fun, sneaking around and stealling stuff, but I HATE the damn city!! And im stuck :( Remember the part when you need to get into the sewers in the docks to go to that citidal? How do I get into the sewers...?

Top Bottom