• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This okay for wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on a 2Mb broadband connection at home, I'm looking at buying either LinkSys WKPC54G (£75) or a DLink EDWL-926 (£85-100) so I can share it with other machines in the house.
I'm leaning towards the DLink thing because it's a router and cardbus adaptor... I'm picking up a laptop this month, so that should be handy.

I'm then hoping to spend £40 - 50 on a bridge for the Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 or something.

Anything I should be taking into consideration? Whats gaming actually like over these things? Can I share PC resources with XBMC?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The main thing to think about with a wireless setup is what bandwidth do you need, and where?

outgoing isn't really an issue - 2Mb can be handled pretty much with a 'b' network. But if you want fast transfer between wireless devices inside your network, then think about whether 'g' is enough, or if you need a turbo version.

Then, think about if you have plans for any 'b' devices on your network. eg I have a 'b' printer ,and a 'b' bridge, and the psp is a 'b' device. If any of those are active, your g network will slow down significantly. So if you will have a mix, try and track down a router that is less affected. I bought the Belkin pre-n router because it keeps up good turbo-g speeds even with b-stuff going around. Its pretty much the only solution that does that right now. I think it was about £80 from PC world. PC card was expensive though, but you can upgrade slowly if necessary.

If you have XBMC plans, then you'll want to easily stream around 500kb/s + wirelessly. Shouldn't be a problem with most networks, but if you want to do larger streaming, or transfer large files, you want the fastest you can get. I didn't want my PC on all the time, so I set a HDD up on the network - wired to the router and therefore wired to my Xbox.

Thanks for the tips guys. I picked a router up on the way home from work for £70. It's Belkin but it's not the Pre-N. It's a High Speed Mode Wireless G 125 router. The guy in the store has his network set up the same way as I want mine, and he's very happy with it. He did mention the Pre-N has better range and a bit of a speed boost when using Pre-N comptabile bridges/cards etc.
Just gotta pick up a bridge or official adaptor for the consoles and I'm set!

Picking up a laptop on buy now, pay later sometime next week (if I pay off within 12 months, there's no interest).

Woot! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom