• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Publishing New Turtle Rock (Left 4 Dead) Game In 2013

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

Seems related to this:

miladesn said:
http://twitter.com/supererogatory/statuses/73774591536930816
http://j.mp/lGdFvn | http://j.mp/lJmbXJ — Turtle Rock working with Four Brothers and GI Joe writers David Elliot & Paul Lovett on new IP
Original Post:

Well, this is surprising.

VG247 said:
THQ to publish Turtle Rock’s newest title in 2013

THQ’s announced that it’s to publish the newest game from Left 4 Dead 1 developer Turtle Rock.

The game will release in 2013. Platforms weren’t specified.

More soon.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/26/thq-to-publish-turtle-rocks-newest-title-in-2013/

Pooya

thq

PR said:
THQ (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced that it has signed the next title from 'Turtle Rock Studios', the creators of the multiple award winning multiplayer revolution 'Left 4 Dead.' The as yet un-named title is scheduled for release in calendar 2013.

"Our quest to sign the best artists and work with the best talent continues," said Danny Bilson, EVP Core Games, THQ. "Turtle Rock Studios is responsible for one of the most original, critically acclaimed co-operative games of this generation, and we are incredibly excited to be working with them on their next project, which looks set to make a similar impact in the multiplayer space."

"We're thrilled to be working with THQ," said Phil Robb, COO, Turtle Rock Studios. "This project is the most ambitious thing we've ever attempted, and we're inspired by the support THQ has shown to help us realize that vision. We're going to take the first person shooter experience to a whole new level, and we can't wait to show the game for the first time in the months ahead."

Turtle Rock Studios' new title will not be shown at E3 2011, but gamers can expect a full reveal at a later date.

For the rest of THQ's 2011 E3 line-up, please visit THQ.com.

About Turtle Rock Studios

Turtle Rock Studios Inc. is an independent game developer based in Southern California. The team at Turtle Rock is best known for its work with Valve Corporation on "Counter-Strike: Condition Zero" and "Counter-Strike: Source," and for revolutionizing cooperative gaming with the award-winning "Left 4 Dead." The core team has extensive experience in the gaming industry, with over 80 collective years in the business. With a track record of innovation and success, Turtle Rock has attracted key contributors from such titles as: "Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2"; "Command & Conquer: Generals"; "Neverwinter Nights 2" and more. The goals of Turtle Rock Studios are simple: Develop AAA games with creativity, passion and a determined focus on producing games that provide the highest rewards for both our players and our partners.

Weren't they a Valve subsidiary (Valve South?) until sometime in 2009? I'd read that they'd split off and reformed as Turtle Rock, but hadn't heard much since.

Game Analyst said:
Is this title going to be released for next-gen hardware?

I think that is probably being heavily debated internally, especially since they don't mention any platforms right now.

And THQ keeps being the best and most underappriciated publisher out there. Their new way of handling themself is amazing, and after reading the piece with their CEO in Edge, I'm totally on board the THQ train.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cosmonaut X said:
Weren't they a Valve subsidiary (Valve South?) until sometime in 2009? I'd read that they'd split off and reformed as Turtle Rock, but hadn't heard much since.
Yeah.

[Nintex]

Galvanise_ said:
THQ are getting a lot of talented people on board. Hope it works out well for them.
Yep they and Zenimax made some surprising moves. Lets hope it doesn't end up like Disney Interactive : /

Interfectum

Cosmonaut X said:

What's the story behind this?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interfectum said:
What's the story behind this?
IIRC, Valve had a bit of a different development philosophy and also wanted them to move to Washington when they didn't want to, so they broke off again.

What's the story with Turtle Rock?

Valve bought them before L4D and renamed them to Valve South. Then I remember hearing that they changed back to Turtle Rock but Valve still considers TR's CEO as a Valve employee or something like that.

Chaplain

Vinterbird said:
I think that is probably being heavily debated internally, especially since they don't mention any platforms right now.

Cafe will be out in 2012 and the next Xbox in 2013. So here's to hoping that they're both considered candidates for this game.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I guess keeping control of their new IP isn't that important. THQ does make sense considering the transmedia stuff that was being pushed with this though.

Saty

I wonder how it bodes for the new game Valve and TRS were supposedly making together:
Lombardi previously confirmed to Gamasutra that Turtle Rock's next game is again a collaboration with Valve, demonstrating continued contact between the studios despite the complex series of events. Rumors of a Turtle Rock game codenamed "Whiskey Sour" have circulated among the Left 4 Dead modding community for weeks, based on mentions of the phrase in official Valve level design documentation
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27712/New_Turtle_Rock_Studios_Game_In_The_Works.php

Also, about the history between the two companies: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23913

Their current website is very western themed.

If they're still working with Valve, could it be that Valve are now using THQ for console distribution? Didn't they have a bit of Tiffle with EA over them wanting to release Portal 2 early on Steam?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
snoopeasystreet said:
Their current website is very western themed.

If they're still working with Valve, could it be that Valve are now using THQ for console distribution? Didn't they have a bit of Tiffle with EA over them wanting to release Portal 2 early on Steam?
This is THQ actually entering a publishing deal with Turtle Rock and owning the IP.

It's definitely not related to Valve or just a distribution deal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I was right, Valve has already ditched EA. Don't forget, Valve owns Turtle Rock.

Edit: Oh wait, they left Valve in 2010, so much for that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Drkirby said:
I was right, Valve has already ditched EA. Don't forget, Valve owns Turtle Rock.
They're essentially a separate entity now.

The EA/Valve distribution contract actually expired before Portal 2, and Valve resigned it starting with that game.

deim0s

angular graphics said:

From their website:
TURTLE ROCK STUDIOS is looking for talented individuals to join our team as we ramp up production on
Secret Project #1 for THQ – which just happens to be the most exciting, ambitious thing we’ve ever attempted...

Experience with CryENGINE would be a major bonus, but not essential.

Head over to our Careers page for more information.

AznSniper

Cornbread78 said:
Does MS own the IP for Left 4 Dead, or are they free to go multi plat. at this point?

I'm pretty sure Valve owns the IP. Left 4 Dead is multiplatform though (PC, Mac, 360).

Top Bottom