• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Says: Our HW forecast for 2006 - DS/360 to finish on top, PS2 3rd (Europe #s too)

This was given days ago and likely encompasses sales through Sept 30th + commentary from manufacturers + their own analysis.

It seems they believe that Microsoft is in for a doozy of Oct-Dec sales.

THQ said:
Our calendar 2006 unit hardware forecasts have been updated since the last quarter and reflect first party announcements. In North America, each platform is as follows: Playstation 2, 4.5 to 5 million; Xbox, up to a 0.5 million; Game Cube, 0.5 million to 1 million; GBA, 2.5 to 3 million; PSP, 2.5 million to 3 million; DS 5 to 5.5 million; Xbox 360, 5 to 5.5 million; PS3, up to 0.5 million; and Nintendo Wii 1.5 to 2 million.

In Europe and the other territories, each platform is as follows: Playstation 2, 3 million to 3.5 million; Xbox, 0.5 million; Game Cube, up to 300,000; GBA, 1 million to 1.5 million; PSP, 2 million to 2.5 million; DS 4.5 million to 5 million; Xbox 360 2 million to 2.5 million; and Nintendo Wii, 0.5 million to 1 million.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
THQ loves how their baby did on the 360. Which is why they're so optimistic.

THQ had a fat baby. 360 is the father. THQ is the mother. 360 is teh father because it's going to have more babies.........Gears of War....that's a nice baby

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
dirtmonkey37 said:

THQ had a fat baby. 360 is the father. THQ is the mother. 360 is teh father because it's going to have more babies.........Gears of War....that's a nice baby
what the ****

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
dirtmonkey37 said:

But I don't wanna ride the pony.

ethelred

dirtmonkey37 said:

er um uh what?

Lo-Volt

dirtmonkey37 said:

RIP this thread. Born 11:53 PM, died 11:57 PM.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
PS2 in 3rd place (out of their top 3) is wishful thinking imo. and GBA will claim one of the top 3 spots unless Nintendo underships them.

ethelred

svenuce said:
THQ does almost zero business in Japan. Why should they care about it?

Our calendar 2006 unit hardware forecasts have been updated since the last quarter and reflect first party announcements. In North America, each platform is as follows: Playstation 2, 4.5 to 5 million; Xbox, up to a 0.5 million; Game Cube, 0.5 million to 1 million; GBA, 2.5 to 3 million; PSP, 2.5 million to 3 million; DS 5 to 5.5 million; Xbox 360, 5 to 5.5 million; PS3, up to 0.5 million; and Nintendo Wii 1.5 to 2 million.

In Europe and the other territories, each platform is as follows: Playstation 2, 3 million to 3.5 million; Xbox, 0.5 million; Game Cube, up to 300,000; GBA, 1 million to 1.5 million; PSP, 2 million to 2.5 million; DS 4.5 million to 5 million; Xbox 360 2 million to 2.5 million; and Nintendo Wii, 0.5 million to 1 million.

Okay.

Branduil

dirtmonkey37 said:

what6dj.jpg

castle007

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:

what the hell!!!

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
By "Europe and the other territories" it seems they meant Europe and other PAL territories.
Obviously they didn't include Japan.

starship

And they predicted DS sales to be 2.5m more than PSP in "Europe and other territories" in 2006 :lol
Considering DS was ahead of PSP at the end of 2005 by a wide margin (1m plus), the gap between these 2 handhelds will be a lot wider than some SDF members think.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kobun Heat said:
So uh... THQ believes that Sony will only have 500,000 PS3 units for 2006 in the US?

People, after everything this year, thought the number situation was going to increase? Sony chopped 20% of their allocation to Japan. Nichia, Sony, and others have frozen out competitors until 2007. Hairy situation indeed. Nichia yield was the best, at like 30% last I checked

fortified_concept said:
This post confuses me.
I am wondering out loud, in a roundabout and humorous way, why no one else seems to care about the shocking allegation in this post, namely, that THQ believes that the PlayStation 3 allocation to the US will be halved.

And asking for a source such that this information might be followed up on.

sangreal

Kobun Heat said:
I am wondering out loud, in a roundabout and humorous way, why no one else seems to care about the shocking allegation in this post, namely, that THQ believes that the PlayStation 3 allocation to the US will be halved.

And asking for a source such that this information might be followed up on.

Since sonycowboy does not make a habit of providing links, perhaps I can help

It is from the earnings call, a transcript of which can be found here:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/19875

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The 500k estimate for PS3's by the end of the year in NA IS very interesting. Aren't they planning to have 400k at launch? Does that mean that gets halved too?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Does anyone have YTD figures for North America? I think it'll be both educational and entertaining.

GhaleonEB

JJConrad said:
Does anyone have YTD figures for North America? I think it'll be both educational and entertaining.
360 is at 2.1m YTD and 2.7m LTD.

they're predicting 2.3-2.8m sold in Oct-Dec. Wow. A LOT of people seem to think the 360 will pull off huge numbers this holiday.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
GhaleonEB said:
360 is at 2.1m YTD and 2.7m LTD.

they're predicting 2.3-2.8m sold in Oct-Dec. Wow. A LOT of people seem to think the 360 will pull off huge numbers this holiday.
Considering this in North America and not just the US, I think their 360 forecast isn't that far-fetched. It's the PS2 and DS predictions that I find strange

[edit]On second thought ... the 360 numbers are a little bit too far-fetched.

GhaleonEB

JJConrad said:
Considering this in North America and not just the US, I think their 360 forecast isn't that far-fetched. It's the PS2 and DS predictions that I find strange.
wait a sec, I misread the first post.

Our calendar 2006 unit hardware forecasts have been updated since the last quarter and reflect first party announcements.
So they predict 2.9-3.4m 360's in Oct-Dec. 0_o holy shit. They know something we don't?

starship

GhaleonEB said:
360 is at 2.3m YTD in NA

they're predicting 2.7-3.2m sold in Oct-Dec. Wow. A LOT of people seem to think the 360 will pull off huge numbers this holiday.
Fixed
And I dont see thats happening at all, THERE IS NO WAY.

Pretty much a mirror between THQ and Activision's HW expectations, except for Activision having lower 360 expectations by ~ a million units or so,slightly higher PS3 expectations, and much lower Wii.

Based on the commentary, still weak 360 & PSP sales in Europe.

THQ said:

Activision said:
For now, we expect the following hardware increases in North America during the calendar year: we are estimating PlayStation 2 will be up 4 million to 5 million units, building on the robust demand it has experienced over the last few months. We are anticipating 600,000 to 800,000 PlayStation 3 units. We expect Xbox 360 growth of 4 million to 5 million units while we expect regular Xbox up 500,000 units. We also expect about 1 million units from the Nintendo Wii while GameCube should deliver about 800,000 units. Finally, we expect handhelds, which include the GBA, DS and PSP, will grow approximately 10 million units.

In the near term, we've been pleased with hardware sales for the PlayStation 2 and the Nintendo ES in both the U.S. and Europe which have exceeded our expectations and reinforced the strengthening consumer dynamic.

pcostabel

Gold Member
sonycowboy said:
Pretty much a mirror between THQ and Activision's HW expectations, except for Activision having lower 360 expectations by ~ a million units or so,slightly higher PS3 expectations, and much lower Wii.

So aside from the fact the they are completely different, the predictions mirror each other. Ok.

Top Bottom