• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tohru Okada, creator of PlayStation's iconic logo sound, has died

Draugoth

Gold Member
playstation-logo-blackwhite.jpg

Tohru Okada, the musician and music producer responsible for creating PlayStation's iconic logo sound, has died aged 73.

Okada's music career spanned decades and a wide variety of mediums including movies and anime, but he was perhaps best known in Japan as a founding member of influential rock band Moonriders, where he played alongside bandmate Keiichi Suzuki - who would go on to compose the music for Nintendo's Mother series.

Okada's own ties to gaming came primarily through his successful career composing for commercials. He notably wrote music for a series of very strange Crash Bandicoot adverts in the 90s (thanks Gamespot), but his most enduring - and immediately recognisable - contribution to gaming arrived through his work with PlayStation.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I was literally thinking about how iconic this sound was yesterday. The thought came out of nowhere, but I just remembered how I would turn on Crash Bandicoot: Warped, or Spyro the Dragon, or Jet Moto 2, or Final Fantasy VIII... No matter what game I played, this music was there.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, that noise is really fucking weird. It’s iconic and seared in my brain, but it’s just so jarring. It’s like a slap around the face when your head is groggy.

sachos

RIP. Legendary sound. To be clear he created the THUNG PS logo sound right? Or did he also create the PS1 boot up jingle and "PLAYSTASHON" sound at the end of every PS video/ad?

Last edited:

ShadowLag

Legend.

It's often easy to forget that a human being was responsible for a lot of things in pop culture that 10s of millions of people around the world adore without realizing it, even something like a startup jingle. RIP buddy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom